    being in fail safe mode because the cpu has changed.

    I know I ain't changed it and think it may just be a bios glitch.

    Thanks

    Nora McCarthy, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Nora McCarthy

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Nora McCarthy" <> wrote in message
    news:nZSKd.4333$...
    > How do I reset my bios to factory settings it asks for a password which i
    > have not set up and the company i purchased my pc from has shut down.
    >
    > Got loads of dots all over screen and on boot up it says something about
    > being in fail safe mode because the cpu has changed.
    >
    > I know I ain't changed it and think it may just be a bios glitch.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you can find the motherboard manual(or locate it by going to the online
    site)find the location of the CMOS jumper and reset that.

    Otherwise remove the CMOS clock and leave it out for about an hour or so,
    then put back in.

    Mark Mandell, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Nora McCarthy

    The O n e Guest

    "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message

    > "Nora McCarthy" <> wrote in message
    >> How do I reset my bios to factory settings it asks for a password which i
    >> have not set up and the company i purchased my pc from has shut down.
    >>
    >> Got loads of dots all over screen and on boot up it says something about
    >> being in fail safe mode because the cpu has changed.
    >>
    >> I know I ain't changed it and think it may just be a bios glitch.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > If you can find the motherboard manual(or locate it by going to the online
    > site)find the location of the CMOS jumper and reset that.
    >
    > Otherwise remove the CMOS clock and leave it out for about an hour or so,
    > then put back in.

    Failing that, bin the motherboard, or try and short it to clear it 'worked
    for me once'.

    The O n e, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Nora McCarthy

    John Holmes Guest

    Nora McCarthy came up with this:

    > How do I reset my bios to factory settings it asks for a password which i
    > have not set up and the company i purchased my pc from has shut down.
    >
    > Got loads of dots all over screen and on boot up it says something about
    > being in fail safe mode because the cpu has changed.
    >
    > I know I ain't changed it and think it may just be a bios glitch.
    >
    > Thanks

    Start>run>command

    debug
    -o 70 2E
    -o 71 00
    -q
    (This will leave your drive settings as they are but clears most of the
    rest)

    AMI & Award Bios...

    debug
    -o 70 17
    -o 71 17
    -q
    (Same)

    debug
    -o 70 FF
    -o 71 17
    -q
    (In most cases, this will reset the entire CMOS)

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Jan 31, 2005