bios recovery

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Render Me, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. Render Me

    Render Me Guest

    stealing IP addresses is illegal and I will not be explaining how to do it
    here
    "usr" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have a k7n2 delta2 platinum board. As I was installing sonicstage 3.1
    > my system froze. Ok i said I'll reboot. Nothing I hit the power switch

    again

    Render Me, Jul 31, 2005

  2. Render Me

    Terra Prime Guest

    usr wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have a k7n2 delta2 platinum board. As I was installing sonicstage
    > 3.1
    > my system froze. Ok i said I'll reboot. Nothing I hit the power
    > switch again and I kinda got a post then it froze again. A couple of
    > more attempts and I got asked for a drive A I think. funny as I don't
    > have a floppy drive and have that option disabled in the bios.
    > I have cleared the cmos but still get nothing. nothing I mean no post
    > nothing on screen. There is power to everything I have internal
    > lights on graphic cards fans run on everything that there supposed
    > too run on.
    > I think that I have to flash my bios but am unsure which bios to use.
    > I don't recall the bios version that I'm running. So can someone tell
    > me which I should use. Those that I've looked at from msi tell me
    > that this bios should not be used from a floppy disk( 6570vB5.zip).
    > Any help given thanks.

    Check your mobo manufacturer's website for the latest BIOS for your specific
    motherboard.... download it and flash the bios...

    Terra Prime, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Render Me

    Terra Prime Guest

    Terra Prime wrote:
    > usr wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> I have a k7n2 delta2 platinum board. As I was installing sonicstage
    >> 3.1
    >> my system froze. Ok i said I'll reboot. Nothing I hit the power
    >> switch again and I kinda got a post then it froze again. A couple of
    >> more attempts and I got asked for a drive A I think. funny as I don't
    >> have a floppy drive and have that option disabled in the bios.
    >> I have cleared the cmos but still get nothing. nothing I mean no post
    >> nothing on screen. There is power to everything I have internal
    >> lights on graphic cards fans run on everything that there supposed
    >> too run on.
    >> I think that I have to flash my bios but am unsure which bios to use.
    >> I don't recall the bios version that I'm running. So can someone tell
    >> me which I should use. Those that I've looked at from msi tell me
    >> that this bios should not be used from a floppy disk( 6570vB5.zip).
    >> Any help given thanks.

    > Check your mobo manufacturer's website for the latest BIOS for your
    > specific motherboard.... download it and flash the bios...

    forgot to add..... please fix your computers clock.......

    Terra Prime, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Render Me

    philo Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:37:54 -0700, usr wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a k7n2 delta2 platinum board. As I was installing sonicstage 3.1
    > my system froze. Ok i said I'll reboot. Nothing I hit the power switch again
    > and I kinda got a post then it froze again. A couple of more attempts and I
    > got asked for a drive A I think. funny as I don't have a floppy drive and
    > have that option disabled in the bios.
    > I have cleared the cmos but still get nothing. nothing I mean no post
    > nothing on screen. There is power to everything I have internal lights on
    > graphic cards fans run on everything that there supposed too run on.
    > I think that I have to flash my bios but am unsure which bios to use. I
    > don't recall the bios version that I'm running. So can someone tell me
    > which I should use. Those that I've looked at from msi tell me that this
    > bios should not be used from a floppy disk( 6570vB5.zip).
    > Any help given thanks.

    if you have wiped out your bios...
    you may have to consult the mobo's mfg to see if you can get a replacement.
    it's a little hard to tell from your wording exactly what you have done...
    but if you are prompted for your A: drive it's possible that your bios has
    a failsafe floppy seek in order to allow reflashing. (that's not normally
    the case but you may be lucky)
    if so...you will need to download the bios flash...
    and to at least temporarily install a floppy drive.

    philo, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Render Me

    Buffalo Guest

    What OS are you using?
    If you are using an OS with a 'recovery' program that can be use at boot-up, it
    might be worth a try, if you can get to it.
    Perhaps try posting in an MSI motherboard newsgroup.

    usr, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Render Me

    Toolman Tim Guest

    HARRRRRR!!!

    A little deja vu there, eh?

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2005
  8. "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message

    > What OS are you using?
    > If you are using an OS with a 'recovery' program that can be use at
    > boot-up, it
    > might be worth a try, if you can get to it.
    > Perhaps try posting in an MSI motherboard newsgroup.

    Why would a OS recovery program reflash the bios?

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Jul 31, 2005
  9. Render Me

    Buffalo Guest

    "Secret Squiddle" <> wrote in message

    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > What OS are you using?
    > > If you are using an OS with a 'recovery' program that can be use at
    > > boot-up, it
    > > might be worth a try, if you can get to it.
    > > Perhaps try posting in an MSI motherboard newsgroup.

    > Why would a OS recovery program reflash the bios?
    >
    > **SS**

    It won't, but how can you be sure the BIOS is corrupt and not some software
    problem as it happened while he was installing a program?

    Buffalo, Jul 31, 2005
  10. Render Me

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > "Secret Squiddle" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > What OS are you using?
    >> > If you are using an OS with a 'recovery' program that can be use at
    >> > boot-up, it
    >> > might be worth a try, if you can get to it.
    >> > Perhaps try posting in an MSI motherboard newsgroup.

    >> Why would a OS recovery program reflash the bios?
    >>
    >> **SS**

    > It won't, but how can you be sure the BIOS is corrupt and not some
    > software
    > problem as it happened while he was installing a program?

    Some bad software installation isn't going to prevent a POST. A corrupt
    BIOS, loose component, bad mobo, bad PS or something like that will prevent
    a POST. Either way, I wouldn't be playing around with a BIOS flash until it
    was proven that it is the last thing possible to try.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2005
  11. Render Me

    Buffalo Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > >> **SS**

    > > It won't, but how can you be sure the BIOS is corrupt and not some
    > > software
    > > problem as it happened while he was installing a program?
    > >

    > Some bad software installation isn't going to prevent a POST. A corrupt
    > BIOS, loose component, bad mobo, bad PS or something like that will prevent
    > a POST. Either way, I wouldn't be playing around with a BIOS flash until it
    > was proven that it is the last thing possible to try.

    Are you 100% postive about a 'bad' software installation?
    I agree that the OP should try another solution first, before he flashes the
    BIOS.
    As you pointed out, a failing PSU or a bad contact or connection could also be
    causing the problem, perhaps even an overheating cpu.
    If I was the OP, I would sure look at the 'innards' to make sure that it is
    clean and that all the proper fans spin up.
    Also, I would remove and reseat the vid card and memory along with checking the
    connections.

    Buffalo, Jul 31, 2005
  12. Render Me

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> > It won't, but how can you be sure the BIOS is corrupt and not some
    >> > software
    >> > problem as it happened while he was installing a program?
    >> >

    >> Some bad software installation isn't going to prevent a POST. A corrupt
    >> BIOS, loose component, bad mobo, bad PS or something like that will
    >> prevent
    >> a POST. Either way, I wouldn't be playing around with a BIOS flash until
    >> it
    >> was proven that it is the last thing possible to try.

    > Are you 100% postive about a 'bad' software installation?
    > I agree that the OP should try another solution first, before he flashes
    > the
    > BIOS.
    > As you pointed out, a failing PSU or a bad contact or connection could
    > also be
    > causing the problem, perhaps even an overheating cpu.
    > If I was the OP, I would sure look at the 'innards' to make sure that it
    > is
    > clean and that all the proper fans spin up.
    > Also, I would remove and reseat the vid card and memory along with
    > checking the
    > connections.

    In order for software to damage the BIOS code in the motherboard, and stop
    it from even doing a POST,it would have to be designed to either modify BIOS
    settings in CMOS or flash new code. Installing typical software on a PC is
    *not* going to do that. Mess up the hard drive, yes. Mess up the registry,
    yes. Anything that a system restore can't fix? Seldom. Stop a motherboard
    from booting? Very, very unlikely.

    Now, if he said he was flashing his BIOS and it screwed up, I could see a no
    POST problem. Installing an MP3 program? I really doubt it.
    http://www.sonydigital-link.com/dna/sonicstage/ss31.asp?l=en

    Toolman Tim, Aug 1, 2005
  13. Render Me

    Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    |>In order for software to damage the BIOS code in the motherboard, and stop
    |>it from even doing a POST,it would have to be designed to either modify BIOS
    |>settings in CMOS or flash new code. Installing typical software on a PC is
    |>*not* going to do that. Mess up the hard drive, yes. Mess up the registry,
    |>yes. Anything that a system restore can't fix? Seldom. Stop a motherboard
    |>from booting? Very, very unlikely.

    "Chernobyl virus" how soon they forget.
    --
    http://www.planarity.net/

    , Aug 1, 2005
  14. Render Me

    usr Guest

    Thanks for all the pFebruaryy'll try to clear things up a little bit.
    I was installing sonicstage 3.1 software. I use a firewall and the software
    kept trying to reach various site that the firewall blocked.
    At some stage during the install everything foze. I rebooted a few times
    sometimes getting a post but always freezing at what point I don't exactly
    remember. I did get something asking for a floppy but again can't be exact
    on the details. After that I get nothing, blank screen.
    I dualboot with linux and xp sp2.
    Been trying to fix my clock, another issue. Maybe another ng for that one.
    I've no idea about stealing ip addresses
    I've cleared the cmos. I shorted it and for good measure removed the
    battery.
    I've downloaded the bios and it says '
    do not flash using a floppy
    do not flash if while the computer is running
    do not flash if you don't know what your doing.'
    The computer parts are all new and have been running well
    since I built it in February 05. And it definitely happen when I was
    installing software(sonic stage)

    I will start swapping parts to and from another computer. I think really the
    main parts are the cpu, motherboard, powersupply.
    I'll post any new info when I'm done.
    computer parts
    msi k7n2 delta2 platinum nforce2 ultra400
    amd athlon 2800 cpu
    seagate 120GB sata hdd
    80GB ata hdd
    Geil 1 GB(512x2) pc300 ultra platinum
    450w ps Don't remember the brand but it's a good quality one.
    abit radeon r9600 graphic card

    usr, Aug 1, 2005
  15. Render Me

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>In order for software to damage the BIOS code in the motherboard, and
    > stop
    > |>it from even doing a POST,it would have to be designed to either modify
    > BIOS
    > |>settings in CMOS or flash new code. Installing typical software on a PC
    > is
    > |>*not* going to do that. Mess up the hard drive, yes. Mess up the
    > registry,
    > |>yes. Anything that a system restore can't fix? Seldom. Stop a
    > motherboard
    > |>from booting? Very, very unlikely.
    >
    > "Chernobyl virus" how soon they forget.

    And is there anything in the original post that would indicate something of
    that nature? The Chernobyl virus is only able to run on W9x systems. While
    the post didn't say what version of Windows he runs, most users are on XP.
    But it is possible, I guess, that the OP is running W9x with no antivirus
    software installed. That would be rather foolish though.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 1, 2005
  16. Render Me

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > <> wrote in message

    >> stop
    >> BIOS
    >> is
    >> registry,
    >> motherboard
    >>
    >> "Chernobyl virus" how soon they forget.
    >>

    > And is there anything in the original post that would indicate something
    > of that nature? The Chernobyl virus is only able to run on W9x systems.
    > While the post didn't say what version of Windows he runs, most users are
    > on XP. But it is possible, I guess, that the OP is running W9x with no
    > antivirus software installed. That would be rather foolish though.

    Well, that's cleared up <g>! The OP added a new post with the information
    that he does have AV software and he is running XP. So no Chernobyl virus
    ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Aug 1, 2005
  17. Render Me

    > In order for software to damage the BIOS code in the motherboard, and stop
    > it from even doing a POST,it would have to be designed to either modify BIOS
    > settings in CMOS or flash new code. Installing typical software on a PC is
    > *not* going to do that.

    I never said that the program install damaged the BIOS.
    Hell, we don't even know if it is the BIOS or not.
    Heck, it may even be a capacitor that is going bad, since it got worse and
    worse.

    Buffalo, Aug 1, 2005