BIOS question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bob, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I've googled "bios virus" and there seems to be a split decision on how
    virii affect bios. Some say a virus cannot exist in bios - an external
    virus just scrambles bios data. Others say it can exist inside the
    bios chip. With that being said, here's a few questions:

    - If the virus can exist inside bios, how does one delete it?
    - Does "restore bios defaults" correct an scrambled condition?
    - Would a weak battery affect bios stability or is it just for the
    clock?
    - If the bios virus checker is enabled and a virus is "detected" just
    prior to booting into DOS, does a virus probably exist?

    The problem I'm having is I cannot load an OS onto a hard drive. I get
    random error messages that are totally unrelated. Sometimes I can boot
    to a bootable floppy but cannot change drives. Other times the boot
    process freezes. The HD has been reformatted and is clean. Two
    different OS's on two different CD's act the same - the loading process
    starts but early into the process messages about missing or corrupt
    files stop the loading. Like I said, symptoms are random on most every
    boot, which leads me to think bios virus. Any thoughts?

    Bob

    Bob, Oct 18, 2006

  2. Bob

    VWWall Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > I've googled "bios virus" and there seems to be a split decision on how
    > virii affect bios. Some say a virus cannot exist in bios - an external
    > virus just scrambles bios data. Others say it can exist inside the
    > bios chip. With that being said, here's a few questions:
    >
    > - If the virus can exist inside bios, how does one delete it?
    > - Does "restore bios defaults" correct an scrambled condition?
    > - Would a weak battery affect bios stability or is it just for the
    > clock?

    A weak battery could affect all those changes made from the defaults.

    > - If the bios virus checker is enabled and a virus is "detected" just
    > prior to booting into DOS, does a virus probably exist?

    Could be a boot virus.

    > The problem I'm having is I cannot load an OS onto a hard drive. I get
    > random error messages that are totally unrelated. Sometimes I can boot
    > to a bootable floppy but cannot change drives. Other times the boot
    > process freezes. The HD has been reformatted and is clean. Two
    > different OS's on two different CD's act the same - the loading process
    > starts but early into the process messages about missing or corrupt
    > files stop the loading. Like I said, symptoms are random on most every
    > boot, which leads me to think bios virus. Any thoughts?

    Check the memory--run a memory check program for some time, like overnight.

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Bob

    Neil Green Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > I've googled "bios virus" and there seems to be a
    > split decision on how
    > virii affect bios. Some say a virus cannot exist in
    > bios - an external
    > virus just scrambles bios data. Others say it can
    > exist inside the
    > bios chip. With that being said, here's a few
    > questions:
    >
    > - If the virus can exist inside bios, how does one
    > delete it?
    > - Does "restore bios defaults" correct an scrambled
    > condition?
    > - Would a weak battery affect bios stability or is
    > it just for the
    > clock?
    > - If the bios virus checker is enabled and a virus
    > is "detected" just
    > prior to booting into DOS, does a virus probably
    > exist?
    >
    > The problem I'm having is I cannot load an OS onto a
    > hard drive. I get
    > random error messages that are totally unrelated.
    > Sometimes I can boot
    > to a bootable floppy but cannot change drives. Other
    > times the boot
    > process freezes. The HD has been reformatted and is
    > clean. Two
    > different OS's on two different CD's act the same -
    > the loading process
    > starts but early into the process messages about
    > missing or corrupt
    > files stop the loading. Like I said, symptoms are
    > random on most every
    > boot, which leads me to think bios virus. Any
    > thoughts?
    >
    > Bob

    More likely faulty RAM.
    If you have two sticks in the machine swap them out
    one at a time to see if the problem persists.
    If only one, try and borrow some known good RAM or run
    a diagnostic.

    Neil Green, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Bob

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > I've googled "bios virus" and there seems to be a split decision on how
    > virii affect bios. Some say a virus cannot exist in bios - an external
    > virus just scrambles bios data. Others say it can exist inside the
    > bios chip. With that being said, here's a few questions:
    >
    > - If the virus can exist inside bios, how does one delete it?
    > - Does "restore bios defaults" correct an scrambled condition?
    > - Would a weak battery affect bios stability or is it just for the
    > clock?
    > - If the bios virus checker is enabled and a virus is "detected" just
    > prior to booting into DOS, does a virus probably exist?
    >
    > The problem I'm having is I cannot load an OS onto a hard drive. I get
    > random error messages that are totally unrelated. Sometimes I can boot
    > to a bootable floppy but cannot change drives. Other times the boot
    > process freezes. The HD has been reformatted and is clean. Two
    > different OS's on two different CD's act the same - the loading process
    > starts but early into the process messages about missing or corrupt
    > files stop the loading. Like I said, symptoms are random on most every
    > boot, which leads me to think bios virus. Any thoughts?
    >
    > Bob

    In addition to the RAM chip swapping, check out memtest86.com. You'll need
    to run this several hours either from a floppy or a CD. Whichever is used,
    make certain it's the first device in the BIOS setup to boot from.

    Mark Mandell, Oct 18, 2006