BIOS question - how to unlock a bios

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Jan 11, 2010.

  1. Guest

    Kind of a shot in the dark, but I've got a Gateway, at least the
    motherboard still is - who's BIOS is very limited in what you can
    change.

    I figured if I just updated with the latest intel bios (it's a 915gag
    intel board) I'd actually have some values I could change.

    Then I ran across this description of a free "IntelĀ® Integrator
    Toolkit" program:

    "Reduce support costs by making sensitive BIOS settings
    tamper-resistant (via the lock/hide feature) and by using SMBIOS for
    individual system identification."

    The question: has anybody unlocked a bios before, and if so how?

    Darn, I answered my own question. When I went to post the link to the
    program, the answer was in the link below it :].

    It's an FAQ.
    You need an .ITK file

    "How do I obtain the .ITK file needed to customize the BIOS?

    The .ITK file needed for Intel Integrator Toolkit is included with a
    board's BIOS update package. Depending on the board, it will be
    included with either the iFlash BIOS Update package or the Integrator
    Toolkit BIOS Files package"
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-015474.htm

    I was reading on how to flash the bios with Intel's "BIOS Update
    Readme.pdf", When I read of the "Intel Integrator Toolkit" - gotta
    start somewhere.

    I'm posting this anyhow, in case someone else can make use of it.

    --

    http://i33.tinypic.com/14shc0z.jpg

    , Jan 11, 2010

  2. why? Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 02:23:28 -0800, wrote:

    >Kind of a shot in the dark, but I've got a Gateway, at least the
    >motherboard still is - who's BIOS is very limited in what you can
    >change.

    You may have to watch it's not a custom Gateway BIOS, even if it's Award
    / Phoenix. You get the wrong one and the PC is dead.

    >I figured if I just updated with the latest intel bios (it's a 915gag
    >intel board) I'd actually have some values I could change.
    >
    >Then I ran across this description of a free "IntelĀ® Integrator
    >Toolkit" program:

    <snip>

    I would just put a password in for the BIOS setup page and stop access
    that way.

    >tamper-resistant (via the lock/hide feature) and by using SMBIOS for
    >individual system identification."

    Which by the looks of it, it's used by OEMs to generate configuration
    INI files to setup batches of systems the same.

    <snip>

    >I'm posting this anyhow, in case someone else can make use of it.

    So how many are going to try it now :)

    Me

    why?, Jan 11, 2010