    I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
    remove these please.

    thanks Tom

    Tom, Sep 29, 2006

  2. Tom

    Tx2 Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
    > enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
    > haven't a clue what the other one is.
    > I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in
    > every
    > time I turn the laptop on.
    >
    > I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. They have
    > vanished.
    > I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
    > remove these please.

    Just a minute Tom, I'm going to check my crystal ball to discover what
    laptop you have....

    ;-)

    Tx2, Sep 29, 2006

  3. "Tom" <> wrote in

    > I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell
    > me how to remove these please.

    Suggest you try setting an empty password.

    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Sep 29, 2006
  4. Tom

    cYb3R64

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Yeah it Depends on the Type of lap top you have could you please specify

    cYb3R64, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Tx2" <> wrote in message

    > "Tom" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
    >> enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
    >> haven't a clue what the other one is.
    >> I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in
    >> every
    >> time I turn the laptop on.
    >>
    >> I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. They have
    >> vanished.
    >> I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
    >> remove these please.

    > Just a minute Tom, I'm going to check my crystal ball to discover what
    > laptop you have....
    >
    > ;-)

    Sorry its a HP pavilion zv6115ea

    Tom, Sep 30, 2006
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    >I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
    > enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
    > haven't a clue what the other one is.
    > I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in
    > every
    > time I turn the laptop on.
    >
    > I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. They have
    > vanished.
    > I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
    > remove these please.
    >
    > thanks Tom

    1st is the power on password 2nd is the drive lock

    Tom, Sep 30, 2006
  7. Tom

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:00:52 +0100, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >Sorry its a HP pavilion zv6115ea

    I believe they come with a fine manual.

    If it were an IBM thinkpad you would enter
    a space as a new password and that clears
    the entry.

    If it uses a HD password like the IBM be
    very careful with it as if you forget it
    there is no easy solution.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 30, 2006
  8. Tom

    Arthur T. Guest

    In Message-ID:<>,
    "Tom" <> wrote:

    >I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
    >enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
    >haven't a clue what the other one is.
    >I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in every
    >time I turn the laptop on.
    >
    >I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now.

    Very often, systems have two different power-on passwords.
    One lets you use the system but not update the BIOS. The other is
    the administrator password which gives you access to everything.

    At a guess, you set both. Except by some reasonably serious
    hacking you won't get back to the BIOS setup without that admin
    password. (Depending on the machine, "reasonably serious" could
    mean as little as removing the button battery for 15 minutes.
    However, that could also clear some other info that you'd really
    not like cleared.)

    --
    Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
    Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

    Arthur T., Sep 30, 2006
  9. Tom

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:37:43 -0400, Arthur T. <>
    wrote:

    >In Message-ID:<>,
    >"Tom" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
    >>enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
    >>haven't a clue what the other one is.
    >>I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in every
    >>time I turn the laptop on.
    >>
    >>I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now.

    > Very often, systems have two different power-on passwords.
    >One lets you use the system but not update the BIOS. The other is
    >the administrator password which gives you access to everything.
    >
    > At a guess, you set both. Except by some reasonably serious
    >hacking you won't get back to the BIOS setup without that admin
    >password. (Depending on the machine, "reasonably serious" could
    >mean as little as removing the button battery for 15 minutes.
    >However, that could also clear some other info that you'd really
    >not like cleared.)

    Thats desktop machines, laptops tend to be different
    and use the security feature of ATA drives to set a
    password on the HD which is stored in eeprom

    Nor are they as accessible as desktop machines and the
    batteries are inscrutible.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 30, 2006
  10. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:00:52 +0100, "Tom" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry its a HP pavilion zv6115ea

    > I believe they come with a fine manual.
    >
    > If it were an IBM thinkpad you would enter
    > a space as a new password and that clears
    > the entry.
    >
    > If it uses a HD password like the IBM be
    > very careful with it as if you forget it
    > there is no easy solution.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    That's done the trick jim. I entered, enter as the new password and it just
    boots ok now THANKS A LOT MATE brilliant.

    Tom, Sep 30, 2006
  11. Tom wrote:
    > I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
    > enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
    > haven't a clue what the other one is.
    > I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in every
    > time I turn the laptop on.
    >
    > I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. They have vanished.
    > I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
    > remove these please.
    >
    > thanks Tom

    remove the battery of your bios for 20-40 minutes and enjoy :)

    Dark Salvation, Oct 4, 2006
  12. Tom

    Melic Guest

    > Thats desktop machines, laptops tend to be different
    > and use the security feature of ATA drives to set a
    > password on the HD which is stored in eeprom
    >
    > Nor are they as accessible as desktop machines and the
    > batteries are inscrutible.

    May I have more information on this?

    I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D laptop with a BIOS password,
    does it mean that if I forget about it I will not be able
    to reset it?

    I have been told that all BIOS have a master password in fact
    the manual says to contact the manufacturer (Fujitsu Siements)
    if I ever forget my BIOS password and I always thought that as
    a last instance I could take out the button battery, even in laptops.

    Melic, Oct 4, 2006
  13. Tom

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 4 Oct 2006 01:43:16 -0700, "Dark Salvation" <>
    wrote:

    >Tom wrote:
    >> I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
    >> enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
    >> haven't a clue what the other one is.
    >> I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in every
    >> time I turn the laptop on.
    >>
    >> I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. They have vanished.
    >> I only have the option to change the password. can anyone tell me how to
    >> remove these please.
    >>
    >> thanks Tom

    >remove the battery of your bios for 20-40 minutes and enjoy :)

    first find your goose errr battery ...
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 4, 2006
  14. Tom

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 11:11:28 +0100, Melic <>
    wrote:

    >> Thats desktop machines, laptops tend to be different
    >> and use the security feature of ATA drives to set a
    >> password on the HD which is stored in eeprom
    >>
    >> Nor are they as accessible as desktop machines and the
    >> batteries are inscrutible.

    >May I have more information on this?
    >
    >I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D laptop with a BIOS password,
    >does it mean that if I forget about it I will not be able
    >to reset it?
    >
    >I have been told that all BIOS have a master password in fact
    >the manual says to contact the manufacturer (Fujitsu Siements)
    >if I ever forget my BIOS password and I always thought that as
    >a last instance I could take out the button battery, even in laptops.

    not necessarily true, however IBM laptops use a more secure
    system which stores a password in the eeprom on the disk
    and their manuals say if you lose it you are screwed.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 4, 2006
  15. Tom

    onn

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    hi, i got a laptop Hp compaq nc4400 model. anyone know how to lock the hard drive so that need to enter the password in order to access the hard drive? thanks.

    onn, Sep 22, 2008