    CD. The Floppy drive cannot be accessed either. Can anyone help?

    Thanks
    Desperate!
    DAT, Apr 5, 2004

  2. What is the manufacture of the PC?
    Computer Doctor, Apr 5, 2004

  3. On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:54:21 +0100, "DAT" <>
    wrote:

    >I have just used partiton magic and partitioned a drive on my laptop and
    >then reformatted the C drive. It now comes up with "NTLDR is missing". I
    >am unable to format the drive or load another system because I cannot
    >remember my BIOS password and am unable to reset the boot up device to the
    >CD. The Floppy drive cannot be accessed either. Can anyone help?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Desperate!

    With the information you gave, only a psychic could help you.

    BB
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Apr 5, 2004
  4. DAT

    TomH Guest

    "DAT" <> wrote in message
    > I have just used partiton magic and partitioned a drive on my laptop and
    > then reformatted the C drive. It now comes up with "NTLDR is missing".

    > am unable to format the drive or load another system because I cannot
    > remember my BIOS password and am unable to reset the boot up device to

    the
    > CD. The Floppy drive cannot be accessed either. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Desperate!

    If you can find the jumper on the mother that clears the CMOS, short that
    out while
    you power up the box. If you can't find the jumper, just remove the battery
    and wait a couple minutes. This will also clear your CMOS and reset the
    settings, and the Password, to the default states.
    TomH, Apr 5, 2004
  5. DAT

    Shadowlore Guest

    DAT wrote:

    > I have just used partiton magic and partitioned a drive on my laptop and
    > then reformatted the C drive. It now comes up with "NTLDR is missing". I
    > am unable to format the drive or load another system because I cannot
    > remember my BIOS password and am unable to reset the boot up device to the
    > CD. The Floppy drive cannot be accessed either. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Desperate!

    First thing is boot into dos mode using a boot disk. Before you load a os
    issue a fdisk /mbr then go ahead and load the os. Also there are master
    passwords for alot of bios chips.
    Shadowlore, Apr 5, 2004
  6. DAT

    Thor Guest

    "TomH" <> wrote in message

    > "DAT" <> wrote in message
    > > I have just used partiton magic and partitioned a drive on my laptop and
    > > then reformatted the C drive. It now comes up with "NTLDR is missing".

    > > am unable to format the drive or load another system because I cannot
    > > remember my BIOS password and am unable to reset the boot up device to

    > the
    > > CD. The Floppy drive cannot be accessed either. Can anyone help?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Desperate!
    > >

    > If you can find the jumper on the mother that clears the CMOS, short that
    > out while
    > you power up the box.

    This is not *always* the procedure. On some boards yes, but on others simply
    moving the jumper for a few seconds, and then moving it back to normal is
    all that is specified. One should consult the manual before assuming that
    you power up the PC with the jumper shorted.
    Thor, Apr 6, 2004
  7. DAT

    TomH Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "TomH" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "DAT" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have just used partiton magic and partitioned a drive on my laptop

    and
    > > > then reformatted the C drive. It now comes up with "NTLDR is

    missing".
    > > > am unable to format the drive or load another system because I cannot
    > > > remember my BIOS password and am unable to reset the boot up device

    > > the
    > > > CD. The Floppy drive cannot be accessed either. Can anyone help?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Desperate!
    > > >

    > > If you can find the jumper on the mother that clears the CMOS, short

    that
    > > out while
    > > you power up the box.

    > This is not *always* the procedure. On some boards yes, but on others

    simply
    > moving the jumper for a few seconds, and then moving it back to normal is
    > all that is specified. One should consult the manual before assuming that
    > you power up the PC with the jumper shorted.

    OK to be more specific, if it had a jumper installed, then it is already
    shorted,
    then you can assume the opposite. If it has a jumper installed remove it
    ( replace it after it powers up), if it doesn't, short it out,
    but if not sure just remove the battery. I'd also disconnect
    it from the AC to make sure no power is supplied to the CMOS.
    TomH, Apr 6, 2004
  8. DAT

    Mr. Phil Guest

    > > I have just used partiton magic and partitioned a drive on my laptop and
    > > then reformatted the C drive. It now comes up with "NTLDR is missing".

    > > am unable to format the drive or load another system because I cannot
    > > remember my BIOS password and am unable to reset the boot up device to

    the
    > > CD. The Floppy drive cannot be accessed either. Can anyone help?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Desperate!

    Get a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE converter and reinstall your OS of choice from a
    regular desktop machine. Then put the hard drive back into the laptop when
    you're finished. The converters are cheap and can be found for less than
    $10 on Ebay or at computer fairs.

    -Phil
    Mr. Phil, Apr 6, 2004
  9. DAT

    Thor Guest

    "TomH" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "TomH" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "DAT" <> wrote in message

    > and

    > missing".

    cannot

    > > > the

    > > > If you can find the jumper on the mother that clears the CMOS, short

    > that
    > > > out while
    > > > you power up the box.

    > > This is not *always* the procedure. On some boards yes, but on others

    > simply
    > > moving the jumper for a few seconds, and then moving it back to normal

    is
    > > all that is specified. One should consult the manual before assuming

    that
    > > you power up the PC with the jumper shorted.
    > >

    > OK to be more specific, if it had a jumper installed, then it is already
    > shorted,

    No, not necessarily. Most of the time, the procedure involves *moving* a
    jumper from one position to another, to clear CMOS, then returning it to the
    original position, rather than putting one on that was not there in the
    first place.

    > then you can assume the opposite. If it has a jumper installed remove it

    Again, see above. Don't assume anything. Read the manual.
    Thor, Apr 6, 2004