BIOS not fully ACPI Compliant

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by udz2002, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. udz2002

    udz2002 Guest

    Hello,
    I have been faced with a mind-boggling issue this week. My sisters
    computer crashed and will only boot to a BSOD stating that the BIOS is
    not fully ACPI compliant. Knowing that the computer came from the OEM
    with XP Home and the same BIOS, this issue is really bothering me.

    After a lengthing search through MicronPC.com's worthless support site
    I found what I believe to be the latest BIOS version and I successfully
    falshed the BIOS. Rebooted the computer and Windows booted up (very
    slowly). I then restarted the computer and low and behold was my good
    friend the BSOD once again. I even reinstalled XP with the restore CD,
    it booted fine once and crashed on reboot.

    Can the CMOS battery cause any of these issues? Any suggestions would
    be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Josh

    MicronPC Millenia
    1.4 AMD Athlon
    512 Memory
    Approx 2001 model
    http://support.mpccorp.com/apps/syshub.asp?ID=7

    udz2002, Dec 9, 2005

  2. "udz2002" <>
    ???????:...

    carbonconceptsusa.com, Dec 9, 2005

  3. udz2002

    udz2002 Guest

    I pulled the power, pulled the battery (tested it for 3V, full charge),
    moved jumper to clear CMOS, powered up, keyboard blinked, system didn't
    boot.

    Moved jumpers back to normal/default mode, powered up, CMOS checksum
    error - deafults loaded, went into BIOS setup and reset to default,
    rebooted to BSOD (BIOS/ACPI error)

    The CD drives are working odd now too, I can't boot from CD without an
    error of various files missing.

    The system is exactly how it came from the factory. No hardware
    additions/removals. XP Home with SP2 added. I can't believe the
    computer would be dead after maybe 4-5 years.

    udz2002, Dec 10, 2005
  4. udz2002

    Shep© Guest

    On 10 Dec 2005 10:18:43 -0800 If you fall from a tree,leave your anger
    on the branch and then "udz2002" <> sent this :

    >I pulled the power, pulled the battery (tested it for 3V, full charge),
    >moved jumper to clear CMOS, powered up, keyboard blinked, system didn't
    >boot.
    >
    >Moved jumpers back to normal/default mode, powered up, CMOS checksum
    >error - deafults loaded, went into BIOS setup and reset to default,
    >rebooted to BSOD (BIOS/ACPI error)
    >
    >The CD drives are working odd now too, I can't boot from CD without an
    >error of various files missing.
    >
    >The system is exactly how it came from the factory. No hardware
    >additions/removals. XP Home with SP2 added. I can't believe the
    >computer would be dead after maybe 4-5 years.

    There are no guarantees on electronic life :/

    As it's pretty crappy at the moment I'd go for a BIOS flash upgrade
    and re-flash the BIOS,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/awardflash.html

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Dec 11, 2005
  5. udz2002

    udz2002 Guest

    I already flashed the BIOS using a driver from the motherboard's
    website (gigabyte) and most recently re-flashed it with a driver from
    MicronPC's website. The version is now F2c. Should I still try your
    suggestion on your website?

    MicronPC BIOS page:
    http://support.mpccorp.com/apps/filelist.asp?ID=3201

    udz2002, Dec 11, 2005
  6. udz2002

    Shep© Guest

    On 11 Dec 2005 09:25:49 -0800 If you fall from a tree,leave your anger
    on the branch and then "udz2002" <> sent this :

    >I already flashed the BIOS using a driver from the motherboard's
    >website (gigabyte) and most recently re-flashed it with a driver from
    >MicronPC's website. The version is now F2c. Should I still try your
    >suggestion on your website?
    >
    >MicronPC BIOS page:
    >http://support.mpccorp.com/apps/filelist.asp?ID=3201

    Can't do any harm :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Dec 11, 2005
  7. udz2002

    why? Guest

    On 10 Dec 2005 10:18:43 -0800, udz2002 wrote:

    >I pulled the power, pulled the battery (tested it for 3V, full charge),

    Only under load do you get an accurate reading. It's cheap enough just
    to replace.

    >moved jumper to clear CMOS, powered up, keyboard blinked, system didn't
    >boot.

    That's usually a with power off, move from normal to clear CMOS , leave
    a few seconds , move back , power up.

    >Moved jumpers back to normal/default mode, powered up, CMOS checksum
    >error - deafults loaded, went into BIOS setup and reset to default,
    >rebooted to BSOD (BIOS/ACPI error)

    If the BIOS has an option to disable ACPI try that.

    Saying that read section 12 carefully,
    http://www.audioforums.com/resources/windows-xp-optimization.html
    and do some more reading to see what other effects there may be by doing
    this.

    If it's a BSOD then some of the details on screen may apply to the
    listing
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314830

    >The CD drives are working odd now too, I can't boot from CD without an
    >error of various files missing.
    >
    >The system is exactly how it came from the factory. No hardware
    >additions/removals. XP Home with SP2 added. I can't believe the
    >computer would be dead after maybe 4-5 years.

    Maybe no h/w changes , but what about a driver change, like SP2.

    It could be a memory faut as well.

    Me

    why?, Dec 11, 2005
  8. udz2002

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    why? spewed forth:
    > On 10 Dec 2005 10:18:43 -0800, udz2002 wrote:
    >
    >> I pulled the power, pulled the battery (tested it for 3V, full
    >> charge),

    > Only under load do you get an accurate reading. It's cheap enough just
    > to replace.

    That's why I have a battery tester in the toolbox - not just a DVM. The
    battery tester simulates a full load, giving much more accurate results. But
    you're right - a new one is a only few bucks at most Walmart, Radio Shack,
    Batteries Plus, etc.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2005