BIOS not detecting hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by M.L., Apr 23, 2010.

  1. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
    working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
    defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
    for about 2 years collecting dust.

    After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
    website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.

    Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
    Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]

    The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:

    SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

    which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

    The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
    before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
    noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
    plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
    read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.

    Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

    M.L., Apr 23, 2010

  2. M.L.

    meerkat Guest

    "M.L." <> wrote in message

    > I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
    > working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
    > defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
    > for about 2 years collecting dust.
    >
    > After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
    > website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
    >
    > Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
    > Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
    >
    > The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
    >
    > SCSI-0: ST3160023A5
    >
    > which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.
    >
    > The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
    > before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
    > noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
    > plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
    > read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.
    >
    > Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks.

    Probably a SATA driver problem.,
    bw..M

    meerkat, Apr 23, 2010

  3. M.L.

    Mike Easter Guest

    24hshd only

    M.L. wrote:
    > I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
    > working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
    > defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
    > for about 2 years collecting dust.
    >
    > After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
    > website,

    .... which instructions^1 show you how to deal with the condition of the
    hdd bay for the vaio desktop and which instructions show you to connect
    the sata power cable and the sata data cable.

    VGC-RA8xx Series Hard Disk Drive Replacement Instructions ^1
    994629200_HDD_Rev_C_NO_PHONE.pdf

    >the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.

    This statement is not consistent with another statement later.

    > Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
    > Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
    >
    > The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
    >
    > SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

    What exactly is the hardware tab of the bios as a separate concept from
    'the bios shows'?

    > which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

    Explain better to me where the drive shows and where the drive doesn't show.

    > The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
    > before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
    > noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
    > plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
    > read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.

    The sata drive jumpers are not for the end user.

    > Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks.

    I don't understand yet where the drive is seen in the bios and where the
    drive is not seen in the bios.

    Here is an example of a bios seeing 2 sata drives and 1 optical:

    American Megatrends bios (disregarding a special preliminary screen)
    the first screen names the mobo, cpu speed ram followed by the 4
    opportunities for drives. The 1st drive named is the optical ide as a
    master and there is no ide slave. The 3rd master is a sata and the 4th
    master is another sata.

    What exactly does your bios say at every place it could name the sata?

    The first place would be right after it names the 2 opticals you have,
    presumably as master and slave. The second place would be when it
    starts all over naming all of the drives.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 23, 2010
  4. M.L.

    Jordon Guest

    M.L. wrote:

    > I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
    > working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
    > defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
    > for about 2 years collecting dust.
    >
    > After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
    > website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
    >
    > Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
    > Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
    >
    > The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
    >
    > SCSI-0: ST3160023A5
    >
    > which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.
    >
    > The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
    > before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
    > noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
    > plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
    > read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.
    >
    > Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks.

    If it's how you say in the first part of your post, the error
    upon boot would be that there is no boot drive detected (or
    something like that). Is that what happens? Or does it start
    to boot but Windows fails to load because all of the Windows
    drivers installed on that drive don't work with all the new
    and different hardware?

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Apr 23, 2010
  5. M.L.

    philo Guest

    M.L. wrote:
    > I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
    > working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
    > defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
    > for about 2 years collecting dust.
    >
    > After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
    > website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
    >
    > Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
    > Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
    >
    > The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
    >
    > SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

    This shows that the bios does, in fact detect the drive
    and since it's SATA it would not be listed as an IDE

    I'd just boot off your XP cd and install Windows
    If the installer does not detect the drive...
    then post back

    your XP cd should be sp2 or sp3

    philo, Apr 23, 2010
  6. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
    >> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
    >> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
    >> for about 2 years collecting dust.
    >>
    >> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
    >> website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
    >>
    >> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
    >> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
    >>
    >> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
    >>
    >> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5
    >>
    >> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.
    >>
    >> The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
    >> before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
    >> noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
    >> plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
    >> read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.
    >>
    >> Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
    >> Thanks.

    >Probably a SATA driver problem.,
    >bw..M

    The original installed drive for the Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G is SATA so
    all the cable connections were intact. There are no drivers installed
    because there is no operating system installed yet.

    M.L., Apr 24, 2010
  7. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
    >> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
    >> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
    >> for about 2 years collecting dust.
    >>
    >> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
    >> website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.
    >>
    >> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
    >> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
    >>
    >> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
    >>
    >> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

    >> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

    >This shows that the bios does, in fact detect the drive
    >and since it's SATA it would not be listed as an IDE

    Thanks. That makes sense.

    >I'd just boot off your XP cd and install Windows
    >If the installer does not detect the drive...
    >then post back
    >
    >your XP cd should be sp2 or sp3

    I tried installing Win XP SP3 from a boot CD. When I got to the
    section to choose between installing or recovering, I pressed ENTER to
    install, then I got several drive entries stating "There is no disk
    for this device."

    UPDATE: When I booted with Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Live CD, Puppy detected
    the SATA hard drive, including the recovery partition and the C:
    drive. It also detected the floppy and the mounted DVD drive. So I'm
    beginning to think the problem lies in the lack of proper SATA drivers
    for Win XP.

    M.L., Apr 24, 2010
  8. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:21:14 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >24hshd only
    >
    >M.L. wrote:
    >> I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
    >> working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive. The
    >> defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a basement
    >> for about 2 years collecting dust.
    >>
    >> After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
    >> website,

    >... which instructions^1 show you how to deal with the condition of the
    >hdd bay for the vaio desktop and which instructions show you to connect
    >the sata power cable and the sata data cable.
    >
    >VGC-RA8xx Series Hard Disk Drive Replacement Instructions ^1
    >994629200_HDD_Rev_C_NO_PHONE.pdf

    That's the exact guide I used.
    <http://www.docs.sony.com/release/994629200_HDD_Rev_C_NO_PHONE.pdf>

    >>the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.

    >This statement is not consistent with another statement later.
    >
    >> Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
    >> Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]
    >>
    >> The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:
    >>
    >> SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

    >> which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

    >What exactly is the hardware tab of the bios as a separate concept from
    >'the bios shows'?

    The Phoenix Award BIOS menu is as follows:
    Main/Advanced/Power/Boot/Exit

    >Explain better to me where the drive shows and where the drive doesn't show.

    Main: showed the Primary IDE DVD info. No SATA info shown.

    Boot->Hard Disk Drives: showed the detection of the ST3160023A5.

    >> The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
    >> before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly. I
    >> noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was no
    >> plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select, and I've
    >> read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.

    >The sata drive jumpers are not for the end user.
    >
    >> Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.
    >> Thanks.

    >I don't understand yet where the drive is seen in the bios and where the
    >drive is not seen in the bios.
    >
    >Here is an example of a bios seeing 2 sata drives and 1 optical:
    >
    >American Megatrends bios (disregarding a special preliminary screen)
    >the first screen names the mobo, cpu speed ram followed by the 4
    >opportunities for drives. The 1st drive named is the optical ide as a
    >master and there is no ide slave. The 3rd master is a sata and the 4th
    >master is another sata.
    >
    >What exactly does your bios say at every place it could name the sata?
    >
    >The first place would be right after it names the 2 opticals you have,
    >presumably as master and slave. The second place would be when it
    >starts all over naming all of the drives.

    As I mentioned in another post, Puppy Linux detected and browsed the
    hard drive correctly, so I think I need to get the correct SATA
    drivers to allow Win XP to see the drive.

    M.L., Apr 24, 2010
  9. M.L.

    Rod Speed Guest

    M.L. wrote:

    > I'm trying to swap a SATA hard drive from a defunct desktop into a
    > working desktop (Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G) that has no hard drive.
    > The defunct computer and its hard drive have been sitting in a
    > basement for about 2 years collecting dust.

    > After installing the drive according to instructions from the Sony
    > website, the BIOS only shows the 2 DVD drives being detected.

    > Primary IDE Master [Sony DVD RW D]
    > Primary IDE Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM]

    > The Hardware tab of the BIOS shows:

    > SCSI-0: ST3160023A5

    > which is the correct model of the newly installed 160 GB hard drive.

    Most likely you just need to partition and format the drive now.

    The XP install will allow you to do that.

    > The overall installation was easy. I've never installed a hard drive
    > before so I'm wondering if I missed setting something properly.

    Yes, the drive needs to be partitioned and formatted.

    > I noticed a set of jumper pins on the hard drive but there was
    > no plastic jumper on them to set as Master, Slave, or Select,

    There is no master and slave with SATA drives.

    > and I've read that SATA drives don't need to be jumpered anyway.

    It should be jumpered correctly given that it came out of a system.

    > Any help with troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated.

    Just proceed with the installation of XP, the install
    should see the drive and allow you to format the drive.

    > Right now I just want the drive to be detected so I can install Win XP MCE from a boot CD.

    Just boot from that CD and install XP.

    Rod Speed, Apr 24, 2010
  10. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>As I mentioned in another post, Puppy Linux detected and browsed the
    >>hard drive correctly, so I think I need to get the correct SATA
    >>drivers to allow Win XP to see the drive.

    >Yup. Hit F6 to install third party drivers when prompted. Google your
    >PC model or motherboard make and model for the proper SATA controller
    >drivers.

    I did all that and everything is working fine now. Thank you, and
    thanks to everyone who made my problem go away faster than I expected.

    M.L., Apr 24, 2010
  11. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>>This shows that the bios does, in fact detect the drive
    >>>and since it's SATA it would not be listed as an IDE

    >> Thanks. That makes sense.
    >>
    >>>I'd just boot off your XP cd and install Windows
    >>>If the installer does not detect the drive...
    >>>then post back
    >>>
    >>>your XP cd should be sp2 or sp3

    >> I tried installing Win XP SP3 from a boot CD. When I got to the
    >> section to choose between installing or recovering, I pressed
    >> ENTER to install, then I got several drive entries stating "There
    >> is no disk for this device."
    >>
    >> UPDATE: When I booted with Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Live CD, Puppy
    >> detected the SATA hard drive, including the recovery partition and
    >> the C: drive. It also detected the floppy and the mounted DVD
    >> drive. So I'm beginning to think the problem lies in the lack of
    >> proper SATA drivers for Win XP.
    >>

    >How is the drive formatted? Try using Puppys Gparted program to
    >format the drive as ntfs single partition and mark the boot flag.
    >Then throw XP at it again and hope it sticks.

    The drive was already formatted NTFS but my objective was to wipe it
    clean during a Win XP install. The problem turned out to be the lack
    of a SATA RAID driver for XP during installation. I've since
    downloaded the correct driver and incorporated it into the XP install
    via floppy. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for your response.

    M.L., Apr 24, 2010
  12. M.L.

    meerkat Guest

    "M.L." <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks. That makes sense.

    >>> I tried installing Win XP SP3 from a boot CD. When I got to the
    >>> section to choose between installing or recovering, I pressed
    >>> ENTER to install, then I got several drive entries stating "There
    >>> is no disk for this device."
    >>>
    >>> UPDATE: When I booted with Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Live CD, Puppy
    >>> detected the SATA hard drive, including the recovery partition and
    >>> the C: drive. It also detected the floppy and the mounted DVD
    >>> drive. So I'm beginning to think the problem lies in the lack of
    >>> proper SATA drivers for Win XP.
    >>>

    >>How is the drive formatted? Try using Puppys Gparted program to
    >>format the drive as ntfs single partition and mark the boot flag.
    >>Then throw XP at it again and hope it sticks.

    > The drive was already formatted NTFS but my objective was to wipe it
    > clean during a Win XP install. The problem turned out to be the lack
    > of a SATA RAID driver for XP during installation. I've since
    > downloaded the correct driver and incorporated it into the XP install
    > via floppy. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for your response.

    Meerkat suggested SATA drivers, a while ago
    signed...meerkat

    meerkat, Apr 24, 2010
  13. M.L.

    §nühw0£f Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:25:01 +0100
    "meerkat" <> wrote:

    > "M.L." <> wrote in message

    > >>How is the drive formatted? Try using Puppys Gparted program to
    > >>format the drive as ntfs single partition and mark the boot flag.
    > >>Then throw XP at it again and hope it sticks.

    > > The drive was already formatted NTFS but my objective was to wipe it
    > > clean during a Win XP install. The problem turned out to be the lack
    > > of a SATA RAID driver for XP during installation. I've since
    > > downloaded the correct driver and incorporated it into the XP
    > > install via floppy. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for your
    > > response.

    > Meerkat suggested SATA drivers, a while ago
    > signed...meerkat

    ALL HALE MEREKAT FOR HE HACE MUCH
    GRATENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!!!!!!!!

    --

    http://www.endangeredspeciescondoms.com

    §nühw0£f, Apr 24, 2010
  14. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>>How is the drive formatted? Try using Puppys Gparted program to
    >>>format the drive as ntfs single partition and mark the boot flag.
    >>>Then throw XP at it again and hope it sticks.

    >> The drive was already formatted NTFS but my objective was to wipe it
    >> clean during a Win XP install. The problem turned out to be the lack
    >> of a SATA RAID driver for XP during installation. I've since
    >> downloaded the correct driver and incorporated it into the XP install
    >> via floppy. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for your response.

    >Meerkat suggested SATA drivers, a while ago
    >signed...meerkat

    Yes you certainly did, Meerkat. I received a lot of good advice so
    quickly that it wasn't easy to thank everyone individually. But you
    can be assured that your advice was well appreciated. Thank you.

    M.L., Apr 24, 2010
  15. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>>Yup. Hit F6 to install third party drivers when prompted. Google your
    >>>PC model or motherboard make and model for the proper SATA controller
    >>>drivers.

    >>I did all that and everything is working fine now. Thank you, and
    >>thanks to everyone who made my problem go away faster than I expected.

    >That's good news. Can't answer why your SATA drive isn't listed in the
    >BIOS boot enumeration process other than a "silent " or "quick boot"
    >option being enabled. However from many years of experience if the
    >PATA drives are listed, the SATA drives usually get the same treatment
    >from the BIOS in that if those boot options are enabled, nothing gets
    >listed.

    The hard drive was listed under Boot->Hard Disk Drives, whereas the
    optical drives were listed under Main->Primary IDE.

    M.L., Apr 24, 2010
  16. M.L.

    meerkat Guest

    "§nühw0£f" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:25:01 +0100
    > "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "M.L." <> wrote in message

    >> > The drive was already formatted NTFS but my objective was to wipe it
    >> > clean during a Win XP install. The problem turned out to be the lack
    >> > of a SATA RAID driver for XP during installation. I've since
    >> > downloaded the correct driver and incorporated it into the XP
    >> > install via floppy. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for your
    >> > response.

    >> Meerkat suggested SATA drivers, a while ago
    >> signed...meerkat
    >>

    > ALL HALE MEREKAT FOR HE HACE MUCH
    > GRATENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!!!!!!!!

    %> }
    Oh. you do make I smile
    bw..

    meerkat, Apr 25, 2010
  17. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>>That's good news. Can't answer why your SATA drive isn't listed in the
    >>>BIOS boot enumeration process other than a "silent " or "quick boot"
    >>>option being enabled. However from many years of experience if the
    >>>PATA drives are listed, the SATA drives usually get the same treatment
    >>>from the BIOS in that if those boot options are enabled, nothing gets
    >>>listed.

    >>The hard drive was listed under Boot->Hard Disk Drives, whereas the
    >>optical drives were listed under Main->Primary IDE.

    >Yah but I mean as the PC was performing it's POST hardware enumeration
    >and not a tab in the BISO setup. Usually you see the hardware scroll
    >by as the PC boots. You did mention the SATA device didn't appear. Or
    >did you? Maybe just a misunderstanding on my part. No biggie it works.

    There was no booting going on at that point because no operating
    system had been installed. I simply pressed F2 at the VAIO logo screen
    to open the BIOS setup to inspect it. I got confused because I had
    never used a SATA drive before and was used to seeing the hard drive
    data on the first page of the BIOS screen. The SATA hard drive
    detection data was shown on a different page.

    M.L., Apr 25, 2010
  18. M.L.

    meerkat Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>>Meerkat suggested SATA drivers, a while ago
    >>>signed...meerkat

    >>Yes you certainly did, Meerkat. I received a lot of good advice so
    >>quickly that it wasn't easy to thank everyone individually. But you
    >>can be assured that your advice was well appreciated. Thank you.

    > Yes we all need to make sure Meerkat wins a medal of honor for making
    > that suggestion well before the problem was even defined.

    %> }
    Now you`re making me smile, you little devil %> }

    meerkat, Apr 25, 2010
  19. M.L.

    meerkat Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>>Yah but I mean as the PC was performing it's POST hardware enumeration
    >>>and not a tab in the BISO setup. Usually you see the hardware scroll
    >>>by as the PC boots. You did mention the SATA device didn't appear. Or
    >>>did you? Maybe just a misunderstanding on my part. No biggie it works.

    >>There was no booting going on at that point because no operating
    >>system had been installed

    > Obviously you don't understand what happens what a PC boots so I will
    > bid you farewell.

    Phew ! glad that problem is sorted.
    Next please ?. %> }

    meerkat, Apr 25, 2010
  20. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >The problem with the original post was that ML didn't know how to
    >explain the details. Once ML stated that the drive did show up in a
    >live CD boot the problem gained some clarity.

    My OP contained all the details I knew at the time. I didn't try the
    Linux live CD until after someone gave me the hint that my problem
    might be due to a missing SATA driver. The Linux live CD confirmed
    that my hard drive was recognized.

    M.L., Apr 25, 2010