Bios Install Needs Floppy, Don't have one, Microsoft XP Sony Vaioo PCG-V505BX

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mvalanju@gmail.com, Aug 2, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I just replaced my hard drive and did a clean install of MIcrosoft XP.
    I went to Sony's website and they said I need to Install the driver
    packages, and they had a caution.

    CAUTION: You must install the driver packages in the following order
    for your computer to operate normally: "

    BIOS update (if available)
    Intel® Chipset (if applicable)
    Sony Notebook Control (if applicable)
    Sony Programmable I/O (if applicable)
    Sony Shared Library
    Video
    Audio
    Modem
    Network
    Wireless
    MPEG
    Memory Stick®
    Memory Stick Registry
    UPEK TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor
    Infineon® Trusted Platform Module
    Wireless Keyboard and Mouse utility
    SmartWi™ Utility
    Cingular Connection Utility
    WWAN driver
    Any other Sony Utilities

    I have 3 questions.
    1) On the website
    (drivers:
    http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PCGV505BX&UpdateType=Everything)
    the only thing is (BIOS Installation Utility) do I need to install it
    even though it is not an update?

    2) How do I find out if it the first 4 items on the list above are
    applicable in my installation case.

    3) It says it requires a floppy drive. I do not have one. Is there
    anyway around it?

    Thanks so much,
    Mayur

    , Aug 2, 2006

  2. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    I just replaced my hard drive and did a clean install of MIcrosoft XP.
    I went to Sony's website and they said I need to Install the driver
    packages, and they had a caution.

    CAUTION: You must install the driver packages in the following order
    for your computer to operate normally: "

    BIOS update (if available)
    Intel® Chipset (if applicable)
    Sony Notebook Control (if applicable)
    Sony Programmable I/O (if applicable)
    Sony Shared Library
    Video
    Audio
    Modem
    Network
    Wireless
    MPEG
    Memory Stick®
    Memory Stick Registry
    UPEK TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor
    Infineon® Trusted Platform Module
    Wireless Keyboard and Mouse utility
    SmartWiT Utility
    Cingular Connection Utility
    WWAN driver
    Any other Sony Utilities

    I have 3 questions.
    1) On the website
    (drivers:
    http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PCGV505BX&UpdateType=Everything)
    the only thing is (BIOS Installation Utility) do I need to install it
    even though it is not an update?

    2) How do I find out if it the first 4 items on the list above are
    applicable in my installation case.

    3) It says it requires a floppy drive. I do not have one. Is there
    anyway around it?

    Thanks so much,
    Mayur

    Mayur

    You should have received a 'Restore' CD(s) with the Laptop.
    These should restore not only XP but also the drivers automatically, along
    with any other software Sony included.
    (Chipset, Video, Mouse Pad, Modem........)
    Have a look in Control Panel, System, Device Manager to see if the drivers
    are installed.

    If you are rebuilding from an XP CD then yes you will need the 'drivers'
    from Sony's website.
    In this case:
    1)
    You should not need the Bios update utility unless there is a newer version
    of the Bios available that fixes a particular problem 'you' have with your
    Laptop. Generally if the Bios ain't broke don't fix it.
    2)
    BIOS update (if available)........................see comment #1
    Intel® Chipset (if applicable)...................needed if your laptop has
    an Intel chipset (check the manual) otherwise the drivers for the chipset
    your Laptop 'does' have (eg Via, nVidea....)
    Sony Notebook Control (if applicable)...Depends refer to your manual
    Sony Programmable I/O (if applicable)...Ditto.
    Sony Shared Library..................................Ditto.
    3)
    Floppy is usually needed if the driver comes on a floppy, you should be able
    to download them from Sony's website and run them from Hard disk.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 3, 2006

  3. PeeCee Guest

    Correction: was Re: Bios Install Needs Floppy, Don't have one, Microsoft XP Sony Vaioo PCG-V505BX

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

> [...]
    > You should not need the Bios update utility unless there is a newer
    > version of the Bios available that fixes a particular problem 'you' have
    > with your Laptop. Generally if the Bios ain't broke don't fix it.
    > 2)
    > BIOS update (if available)........................see comment #1
    > Intel® Chipset (if applicable)...................needed if your laptop has
    > an Intel chipset (check the manual) otherwise the drivers for the chipset
    > your Laptop 'does' have (eg Via, nVidea....)
    > Sony Notebook Control (if applicable)...Depends refer to your manual
    > Sony Programmable I/O (if applicable)...Ditto.
    > Sony Shared Library..................................Ditto.
    > 3)
    > Floppy is usually needed if the driver comes on a floppy, you should be
    > able to download them from Sony's website and run them from Hard disk.

    Mayur
    Just saw the crucial "Bios install needs Floppy" in your Subject line (not
    in the body).

    Bios updates needing Floppy disks do so because they are run in a 'DOS'
    environment and not all hard drives are visible when you boot off a floppy.
    (Traditional DOS does not 'see' NTFS disks)
    The move today is toward Bios updates happening within the Windows
    environment. In this case you don't need a floppy disk, just the
    manufacturer supplied Bios update Utility.

    All the same I do not recommend you try updating the Bios unless there is a
    specific reason to do so.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 3, 2006