    Silly question...where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...I'd like
    to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be able to
    compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers web.

    Brian Smith, Feb 27, 2009

  2. Brian Smith

    Iapetus Guest

    Brian Smith wrote:
    > Silly question...

    It is.

    > where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...

    What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

    > I'd like
    > to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be able to
    > compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers web.

    If it is different why would you need to update it? If it's not done
    properly, and by the sound of it you're not that computer literate,
    you'll end up with a very big paperweight.

    Iapetus, Feb 27, 2009

  3. Brian Smith

    Brian Smith Guest

    "Iapetus" <> wrote in message news:go8tks$4um$...
    > Brian Smith wrote:
    >> Silly question...

    > It is.

    Cheers

    >> where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...

    > What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

    XP

    >> I'd like to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be
    >> able to compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers
    >> web.

    > If it is different why would you need to update it?

    Cos I have a prob at the mo and the latest update might sort it.

    >If it's not done properly, and by the sound of it you're not that computer
    >literate,

    That's right.

    > you'll end up with a very big paperweight.

    After the further advice you may provide hopefully not :)

    ======

    Brian Smith, Feb 27, 2009
  4. Brian Smith

    Iapetus Guest

    Brian Smith wrote:
    > "Iapetus" <> wrote in message news:go8tks$4um$...
    >> Brian Smith wrote:
    >>> Silly question...

    >> It is.

    > Cheers
    >>> where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...

    >> What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

    > XP

    That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

    Iapetus, Feb 27, 2009
  5. Brian Smith

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Brian Smith wrote:
    > "Iapetus" <> wrote in message news:go8tks$4um$...
    >> Brian Smith wrote:
    >>> Silly question...

    >> It is.

    > Cheers
    >>> where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...

    >> What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

    > XP

    ROFL!!!!!!

    Thanks that was soooooo funny!

    >>> I'd like to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be
    >>> able to compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers
    >>> web.

    >> If it is different why would you need to update it?

    > Cos I have a prob at the mo and the latest update might sort it.

    God forbid you might tell us what the problem is so that we might be
    able to help you!

    >> If it's not done properly, and by the sound of it you're not that computer
    >> literate,

    > That's right.

    Can't argue with that.

    >> you'll end up with a very big paperweight.

    > After the further advice you may provide hopefully not :)

    You'll have to volunteer a bit more information. Lets start with:-

    Make and model of computer hardware:

    Full operating system version and service packs applied:

    Detailed description of the problem:

    Detailed description of what you have tried so far:

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 27, 2009
  6. Brian Smith

    Brian Smith Guest

    "Iapetus" <> wrote in message news:go8ud8$5g5$...
    > Brian Smith wrote:
    >> "Iapetus" <> wrote in message
    >>> It is.

    >> Cheers
    >>> What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

    >> XP
    >>

    > That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

    ============
    pc is a mongrel....Gigabyte motherboard

    Brian Smith, Feb 27, 2009
  7. Brian Smith

    Brian Smith Guest

    "Van Chocstraw" <> wrote in message
    > Brian Smith wrote:
    >> Silly question...where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...I'd
    >> like to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be able
    >> to compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers web.

    > Get BIOS Agent 3.61 from Download.com. Do you ever Google anything?
    >

    > --
    > <<//--------------------\\>>
    > Van Chocstraw
    > >>\\--------------------//<<

    =============
    TVM

    Brian Smith, Feb 27, 2009
  8. Brian Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    Brian Smith wrote:
    > where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...I'd
    > like to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be
    > able to compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers
    > web.

    Your question as you have stated it implies that you would be inclined to
    update your BIOS if there were a later version for your mobo -- and the
    absence of additional background information implies that you might not be
    having any kind of problem that would indicate that you *should* update
    your BIOS.

    Thus, the overall 'theme' (of what you've said) here is that you are
    thinking about doing something which you shouldn't be doing.

    BIOS agent is an efficient way to get info on your bios and its
    upgradability, but you probably shouldn't be using the information unless
    you have a genuine and specific problem which is specifically addressed by
    the upgrade, which is generally unlikely.

    You /should/ know a lot about your computer's hardware; and you can get
    that kind of information from software such as Belarc Advisor, Everest, &
    SIW.

    A feature of bios agent is that it doesn't need to be installed.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 27, 2009
  9. Brian Smith

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:56:31 +0000, Brian Smith wrote:

    > "Iapetus" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian Smith wrote:
    >>> "Iapetus" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> XP
    >>>

    >> That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

    > ============
    > pc is a mongrel....Gigabyte motherboard

    Got a real aversion to giving relevant details, don't you?

    Aardvark, Feb 27, 2009
  10. Brian Smith

    Iapetus Guest

    Brian Smith wrote:
    > "Iapetus" <> wrote in message news:go8ud8$5g5$...
    >> Brian Smith wrote:
    >>> "Iapetus" <> wrote in message
    >>> Cheers
    >>> XP
    >>>

    >> That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

    > ============
    > pc is a mongrel....Gigabyte motherboard

    Read this page before you think about doing anything, it's complicated
    for the uninitiated.

    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide-27576/

    But I would STRONGLY recommend you hold off the update until you try
    other things to sort your problem out, BIOS updates are usually a last
    resort.

    Post what problems you are having and it could be sorted without a flash.

    Iapetus, Feb 27, 2009
  11. Brian Smith

    Brian Smith Guest

    "Iapetus" <> wrote in message news:go90om$7gl$...
    > Brian Smith wrote:
    >> "Iapetus" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

    >> ============
    >> pc is a mongrel....Gigabyte motherboard

    > Read this page before you think about doing anything, it's complicated for
    > the uninitiated.
    >
    > http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide-27576/
    >

    > But I would STRONGLY recommend you hold off the update until you try
    > other things to sort your problem out, BIOS updates are usually a last
    > resort.

    ==================================
    TVM...useful info. Read and digested...
    ..... successfully flashed the bios...all now working ok...had tried all
    manner of things previously. Think it was the cpu the board didn't like and
    hence sometimes but not always refused to boot.
    Thanks.

    Brian Smith, Feb 27, 2009
  12. Brian Smith

    peejaa Guest

    "Brian Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "Iapetus" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian Smith wrote:
    >>> "Iapetus" <> wrote in message

    >>> ============
    >>> pc is a mongrel....Gigabyte motherboard

    >> Read this page before you think about doing anything, it's complicated
    >> for the uninitiated.
    >>
    >> http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide-27576/
    >>

    >> But I would STRONGLY recommend you hold off the update until you try
    >> other things to sort your problem out, BIOS updates are usually a last
    >> resort.

    > ==================================
    > TVM...useful info. Read and digested...
    > .... successfully flashed the bios...all now working ok...had tried all
    > manner of things previously. Think it was the cpu the board didn't like
    > and hence sometimes but not always refused to boot.
    > Thanks.

    ================

    It is tricky..was going to give some info...but u did it... well done Brian

    peejaa, Feb 27, 2009
  13. Brian Smith

    VanguardLH Guest

    Aardvark wrote:

    > Brian Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Iapetus wrote ...

    >>> That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

    >> pc is a mongrel....Gigabyte motherboard

    > Got a real aversion to giving relevant details, don't you?

    Looks like a newbie troll-in-training. From his 2nd response, he
    pretended he was befuddled. From his 3rd response, he deliberately
    omitted the model as if "Gigabyte" would be helpful to anyone.

    VanguardLH, Feb 27, 2009
  14. Brian Smith

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:28:04 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >During a hard bootup you are generally given instructions as to what
    >key to press for entering setup or bios. Perhaps like F8, F12, or esc.
    >Then you will be in a dos screen which should give you the info you
    >seek.

    Uhh no. You will be in a BIOS screen. Not a DOS screen.

    Evan Platt, Feb 28, 2009
  15. Download Everest Home, it's comprehensive and free.

    Centre Parting, Mar 1, 2009