BIOS HELP

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Morphme, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Morphme

    Morphme Guest

    I have a Micron Client Pro Pentium II

    Motherboard
    Seattle PII 440BX ATX

    Intel Chipset
    Intel PCI Set
    FW82371EB
    L818TC57
    SL2MY

    This computer is about five years old I want to upgrade the BIOS and
    OS.

    The OS right now on the computer is Win 98 want to Upgrade to Win 2000
    Pro.

    I also wanted to know can I upgrade this computer to Win 2000 Pro?

    I just wanted to know what would cause a BIOS upgrade to lock a
    computer?

    I'm getting ready for my A+ exams trying to get some experience.
    ==============

    Morphme, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Morphme

    cc0275012 Guest

    Have you already upgraded the BIOS, and if you did how did you do it?

    cc0275012, Aug 7, 2004

  3. "Morphme" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > I have a Micron Client Pro Pentium II
    >
    > Motherboard
    > Seattle PII 440BX ATX
    >
    > Intel Chipset
    > Intel PCI Set
    > FW82371EB
    > L818TC57
    > SL2MY
    >
    > This computer is about five years old I want to upgrade the BIOS and
    > OS.
    >
    > The OS right now on the computer is Win 98 want to Upgrade to Win 2000
    > Pro.
    >
    > I also wanted to know can I upgrade this computer to Win 2000 Pro?
    >
    > I just wanted to know what would cause a BIOS upgrade to lock a
    > computer?
    >
    > I'm getting ready for my A+ exams trying to get some experience.
    > ==============

    Is there any particular reason for upgrading the BIOS? I don't usually
    recommend doing it unless there's a specific reason.

    Patrick Michael, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Morphme

    cc0275012 Guest

    I always thought you should only flash new BIOS if that new BIOS addressed a
    certain problem that you had?

    cc0275012, Aug 7, 2004
  5. On 6 Aug 2004 21:34:14 -0400, -spam.invalid
    (Morphme) wrote:

    >I have a Micron Client Pro Pentium II
    >
    >Motherboard
    >Seattle PII 440BX ATX
    >
    >Intel Chipset
    >Intel PCI Set
    >FW82371EB
    >L818TC57
    >SL2MY
    >
    >This computer is about five years old I want to upgrade the BIOS and
    >OS.

    FYI...I had W2000 Pro and XP Pro in a dual boot on an ATrend AT-5200
    with a K6-2/266 maxed out with 128M of RAM, purchased November, 1998.
    XP was a bit sluggish, but no worse than 98SE, and W2000 was
    considerably quicker, with far less physical memory in use (in other
    words, far fewer slowdowns do to the system accessing the swapfile). I
    didn't upgrade the BIOS. Your situation may be slightly different, and
    you may have other reasons for upgrading the BIOS also, but the
    chances are reasonably good that your system will be okay with W2k.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 7, 2004
  6. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > It's possible that you could destroy a motherboard that way, but it
    > takes only about 20 seconds to flash a BIOS, what are the chances of the
    > power failing in any 20-second period? You are worrying about something
    > that, while not impossible, is in a statistical probability category
    > that also includes getting hit by lightening.
    >

    > Michael wrote:
    >
    > > Patrick Michael wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is there any particular reason for upgrading the BIOS? I don't usually
    > >> recommend doing it unless there's a specific reason.

    > > I'm a bit hesistant to flash mine, even if there are updated features.
    > > Won't your box be fried if the power goes out during flashing?
    > >
    > > I don't have a UPS for one.
    > >
    > > michael

    Call your electric company and ask them if they
    plan any unexpected blackouts in the near future... j/k

    <BONEHEAD>

    «bonehead;\), Aug 8, 2004
  7. Morphme

    Morphme Guest

    I did some research online and there are no drivers for Mobo if I did
    the Win 2000 Pro upgrade. Intel does not give support for upgraded OS
    or driver issues for that OS.

    So i guess that's out of the question I'll have to reinstall Win 98.

    Thanks eveyone for the BIOS flash help. That was very funny bonehead
    I'll check with the electric company.

    The Intel Family Chipset SE 440 BX.

    Pentium II

    Processor speed 400MHz

    Ram 96MB
    ==============

    Morphme, Aug 8, 2004
  8. On 8 Aug 2004 01:34:08 -0400, -spam.invalid
    (Morphme) wrote:

    >I did some research online and there are no drivers for Mobo if I did
    >the Win 2000 Pro upgrade. Intel does not give support for upgraded OS
    >or driver issues for that OS.

    If you mean the HCL, that is only MS's way of saying that they don't
    necessarily support it. It doesn't necessarily mean that it won't
    work. I have seen several instances where the HCL said no and it
    worked anyway.

    If you're doing a complete from scratch install, give 2k a try anyway,
    if you already have the install disk.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 8, 2004
  9. "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > On 8 Aug 2004 01:34:08 -0400, -spam.invalid
    > (Morphme) wrote:
    >
    > >I did some research online and there are no drivers for Mobo if I did
    > >the Win 2000 Pro upgrade. Intel does not give support for upgraded OS
    > >or driver issues for that OS.

    > If you mean the HCL, that is only MS's way of saying that they don't
    > necessarily support it. It doesn't necessarily mean that it won't
    > work. I have seen several instances where the HCL said no and it
    > worked anyway.
    >
    > If you're doing a complete from scratch install, give 2k a try anyway,
    > if you already have the install disk.
    >
    > Tom

    You should give Win 2000 a shot with at least service pack 4... I have yet
    to encounter
    any set-up that had Win98 that W2K couldn't handle... If you do get stumped
    by a driver
    check your system wit Belarc Advisor or AIDA or Sandra for that matter

    <<BONEHEAD>>

    «bonehead;\), Aug 9, 2004
  10. Morphme

    MF Guest

    Answer to your whole post - if you expect to learn and to comp tech you need
    to get more and provide more information.

    Answer to your question about lockup after bios update: you did it wrong.
    Used the wrong bios file, probably. Possibly (but not likely) used the
    wrong flash program. Possible also not your fault but the fault of a power
    flucuation during the upgrade. The original bios should have been saved in
    the process of the upgrade. make sure you have the right flash executable
    then flash back the origingal.

    Answer to w2k - yes you can run it on your computer.

    no, you don't need a bios upgrade for 2k.

    It will run satisfactorily (even decently) on any P II of 300 mhz or better
    with 128 megs of RAM or better. Preferably 256; preferably 512. The more
    ram, the better 2K will run.

    How do you upgrade it? Put in the W2K CD. Follow the directions.
    You need to provide more info. Do you want to upgrade 98 or dual boot 98
    and 2000? Well, I'll decide for you. You want to dual boot.

    Put in the CD. Tell it you want to install 2k, you do not want to upgrade,
    you want to do a clean installation on a different partition and you want to
    pick the partition and you want to format it with fat 32. (You can change it
    later). If you don't have another partition, make one. Do it ahead of time
    with Partition Magic if you have insufficient unallocated (unpartitioned)
    space; do it during installation with Win2K if you have plenty of free space
    left on your harddrive. There you go, you're off and running. Sit there
    and push buttons for about an hour and you're done.

    However, without the info about what you want to do, that question is truly
    unanswerable. So decide the answer to that question, then learn how to look
    up the rest of the information. Don't ask here. If you say you want to be
    a tech, they remove the internet from your house the second time you ask for
    the answer to a question that you should look up.

    MF, Aug 10, 2004
  11. Morphme

    MF Guest

    You have a clean hard drive? 96 megs of ram? 400 MHz processor?
    Get more RAM. Go to 256 M. With 400 MHz and 256 Megs, Win2K will be
    perfectly fine as your everday os. 98 will be for reference during yr. a+
    studies And if you want to learn a+, put three partitions on the drive,
    install win 98 on one, which would be the C drive, your smallest partition,
    win 2k on the second, the D drive - make this partition big as it should
    have most of your active progs on it - and leave the last partition for
    data or future adventures.

    And the folks who said you don't have to worry about mobo or chipset drivers
    for W2K are almost certainly correct. The chance that W2K will not install
    on that computer is less than 1 percent.

    MF, Aug 10, 2004
  12. Morphme

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Aug 10, 2004 "MF" blathered:

    > And if you want to learn a+, put three partitions on the drive,
    > install win 98 on one, which would be the C drive, your smallest partition,
    > win 2k on the second, the D drive - make this partition big as it should
    > have most of your active progs on it - and leave the last partition for
    > data or future adventures.

    Just to add to that, be sure to leave that third partition FAT32 if you want
    Win98 to be able to read it.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Aug 11, 2004
  13. Morphme

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Aug 11, 2004 "Michael" blathered:

    > I haven't tried this, but here's a driver to read NTFS from windows 98:
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

    Cool, I'll give it a "looksie".

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Aug 11, 2004
  14. On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:17:57 -0500, "MF"
    <> wrote:

    >You have a clean hard drive? 96 megs of ram? 400 MHz processor?
    >Get more RAM. Go to 256 M.

    There is a realistic chance that that motherboard, based on its age,
    will only cache 128 M. That should be investigated first.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 11, 2004
  15. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:26:24 GMT, Michael <> wrote:

    >TechGeekPro wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 10, 2004 "MF" blathered:
    >>

    >>>And if you want to learn a+, put three partitions on the drive,
    >>>install win 98 on one, which would be the C drive, your smallest partition,
    >>>win 2k on the second, the D drive - make this partition big as it should
    >>>have most of your active progs on it - and leave the last partition for
    >>>data or future adventures.

    >> Just to add to that, be sure to leave that third partition FAT32 if you want
    >> Win98 to be able to read it.
    >>

    >I haven't tried this, but here's a driver to read NTFS from windows 98:
    >http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

    I tried it a few years back with 98 and NT4, and it worked fine. There
    was also one for the reverse, since NT 4 didn't understand FAT32
    either. There's also a pay for version that allows writing across
    different formats as well, or there was anyway.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 11, 2004
  16. Morphme

    MF Guest

    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:17:57 -0500, "MF"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >You have a clean hard drive? 96 megs of ram? 400 MHz processor?
    > >Get more RAM. Go to 256 M.

    > There is a realistic chance that that motherboard, based on its age,
    > will only cache 128 M. That should be investigated first.
    >
    > Tom

    Cache what where? Whatever, lemme have it. I have a P4 from last year and
    as far as I know it won't cache 128 megs of anything anywhere..... Wish it
    would, it'd be a zippy little effer.

    Mike

    MF, Aug 12, 2004
  17. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:03:51 -0500, "MF"
    <> wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:17:57 -0500, "MF"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >You have a clean hard drive? 96 megs of ram? 400 MHz processor?
    >> >Get more RAM. Go to 256 M.

    >> There is a realistic chance that that motherboard, based on its age,
    >> will only cache 128 M. That should be investigated first.
    >>
    >> Tom

    >Cache what where? Whatever, lemme have it. I have a P4 from last year and
    >as far as I know it won't cache 128 megs of anything anywhere..... Wish it
    >would, it'd be a zippy little effer.
    >
    >Mike

    Not quite sure what you are referring to but...when a P4 won't cache
    128M??...what OS?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 12, 2004
  18. On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:14:41 GMT, "AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote:

    >Do the upgrade to get the experience of it. The worst that can happen is
    >that you have to reinstall 98. I have installed Win200Pro/Server in
    >Pentium1s as low as 166 mhz without any problems.
    >
    >AT

    There ya go...

    My favourite "McCloud" quote, and oft-repeated.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 12, 2004
  19. On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:27:55 GMT, Michael <> wrote:

    >Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >
    >>>Cache what where? Whatever, lemme have it. I have a P4 from last year and
    >>>as far as I know it won't cache 128 megs of anything anywhere..... Wish it
    >>>would, it'd be a zippy little effer.

    >> Not quite sure what you are referring to but...when a P4 won't cache
    >> 128M??...what OS?

    >According to M-W, cache is short term memory, and I don't think RAM
    >qualifies. But L1, L2, and L3 cache do, as well as other caches.
    >
    >"3 : a computer memory with very short access time used for storage of
    >frequently used instructions or data -- called also cache memory"
    >
    >michael

    ???

    Try how much memory can be cached by a particular motherboard/chipset?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 12, 2004
  20. Morphme

    AG Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >
    > >>Cache what where? Whatever, lemme have it. I have a P4 from last year

    and
    > >>as far as I know it won't cache 128 megs of anything anywhere..... Wish

    it
    > >>would, it'd be a zippy little effer.

    > > Not quite sure what you are referring to but...when a P4 won't cache
    > > 128M??...what OS?

    > According to M-W, cache is short term memory, and I don't think RAM
    > qualifies. But L1, L2, and L3 cache do, as well as other caches.
    >
    > "3 : a computer memory with very short access time used for storage of
    > frequently used instructions or data -- called also cache memory"
    >
    > michael

    Michael I think you are confusing on chip cache with something different. A
    few years ago many motherboards would recognize more memory than they would
    actually use. This is called cache memory. The limit on many of those
    boards was 128 megs, which would have cost around $1,000 or so at the time.
    It was, and can still be, a problem with older motherboards but I haven't
    heard of any P3 or P4 boards that won't handle a gig or so of RAM.
    One last note. The computers that were using that $1,000 RAM cost in the
    neighborhood of $4-5,000 new and were in the 400 Mhz range as far as speed.
    Those were the days when if we sold one computer a week we could keep the
    store open.
    :)

    AG
    Most of the boards with this problem were P2 boards and some AMD socket 6
    boards.
    There I

    AG, Aug 13, 2004