    registry key. I found registry key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS but
    it does not contain any BIOS data. Is there any other registry key on Win
    Server 2003 x64 where BIOS version, date, manufacturer can be found?

    =?Utf-8?B?T1NoZWxsNzc=?=, May 1, 2006

  2. Don't know about Registry Key, but you should be able to find the BIOS
    information under System Information > System Summary (Start > All Programs
    > Accessories > System Tools > System Information > System Summary > BIOS

    Version/Date.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 2, 2006

  3. Sorry Andre, that may not help him - as I understand it he has written a
    functioning program that already gets it's data from the reg., only on 64bit
    it doesn't work. I guess this is yet another example of the 'program files'
    re-direction that is taking place under 'wow64' or 'syswow' or whatever.

    Unfortunately, I also cannot be very helpfull unless pointing a somewhat
    wavering finger at the 'Windows Installler'. Developer Information about
    that would possibly be helpful.

    OShell77, try programming NG's for your language, or windows specific
    developer groups. You'll find these people here as well, but 90% of the
    issues are general user stuff.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 2, 2006
  4. So why can't he have write an application then that reads BIOS information
    from System information utility? Its already their.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 2, 2006
  5. O.K. - I do not know why, just guessing that he would rather not have to
    make changes to the internal logic of something that already works on other
    systems. There is, after all, no such thing as a 'bug free' program, and
    there will never be one. If you make such a change you expose the code to
    millions of new potential bugs. A working project, the author at least has a
    certain control over.

    Your suggestion is quite in order - that might work as well, but my point is
    that he would probably end up asking himself the same thing again when
    trying to make the program install, since this apparently is a general
    'porting' issue that is 'generally' overlooked in porting litterature. And
    he may not have read a lot of that if he has good reason to believe it will
    run as 32bit, which it might have, if it wasn't for the reg.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 2, 2006
  6. I'd try doing a full registry search of the entries you can't find, like
    SystemBiosDate or SystemBiosVersion and see where have they moved now.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 2, 2006
  7. > So why can't he have write an application then that reads BIOS information
    > from System information utility? Its already their.

    Does the System Information utility provide a programmable interface?

    Homer J. Simpson, May 2, 2006
  8. Maybe, not sure, if you can print it, why not program into it.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 2, 2006
  9. > Maybe, not sure, if you can print it, why not program into it.

    Unless there's a published API, if I understand correctly, it seems that
    what you're suggesting amounts to the classic "run a utility and parse the
    output" methodology. Correct?

    I'm not sure what "program into it" means.

    Homer J. Simpson, May 2, 2006
  10. What you just said, I am not programmer, so I really don't know the correct
    lingo. ;)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 2, 2006
  11. Do not forget, there are several options to tap into Window's functionality
    through scripting - that way it would be quite possible to execute functions
    via one of the many 'scripting engines'. You can do that from a binary! It
    is probably not a particularly elegant alternative in the situation were you
    are porting a functioning piece of software, though.

    I don't know if it would work at all, in the given circumstance but I would
    certainly assume that it could.

    So, the API exists - it doesn't have to be public, there are API's that MS
    keeps under a lid, and then sells the documentation off to third parties.
    Script languages tend to be their own documentation, there wouldn't be much
    to sell off from that front.

    I could be wrong. I am also not a programmer, although I ripped a few pages
    out of the calendar to learn 'C' some years back.

    by the phrase 'program into', I would assume Andre to mean the equivalent of
    'putting the API to good use'?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 2, 2006
  12. > What you just said, I am not programmer, so I really don't know the
    > correct lingo. ;)

    :) All I'm saying is that the fact that System Info manages to retrieve
    and display this information, doesn't imply that the System Info utility
    even makes it accessible programmatically.

    In any case, to the original poster--have a look at WMI. I'm sure those
    values are exposed somewhere by WMI, and I wouldn't be surprised at all in
    fact if System Info itself queries WMI to get to this data. Have a look at
    the microsoft.public.scripting.wsh newsgroup; I'm sure there's samples that
    will show you how to execute a WMI query; once you got that figured out
    (it's probably < 5 lines of VBScript), it's a matter of determining the
    appropriate query to get to the values you need (I'm *really* not familiar
    with WMI and the information it makes accessible, but I'd bet the values
    you're looking for are there).

    Failing that, you can always query SMBIOS directly, where the information is
    presented in neat and tidy tables--the problem with doing that however is
    that the methodology required is probably overkill if you've managed so far
    to get away with a simple registry lookup...

    Homer J. Simpson, May 2, 2006