BIOS Can't Detect Drives

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lewis Thomas, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Lewis Thomas

    Lewis Thomas Guest

    (Also posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)

    Brand spanking new from Newegg to replace my old Celeron 500/ Abit BE6 II
    machine:

    ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 2800
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600Pro (256MB)
    256MX2 DDR400 PC3200
    Western Digital IDE 80GB 7200RPM 8MB
    ANTEC Solution Series Super Mid Tower Case (350W)

    I pulled the floppy and CD-ROM drives off the old computer (both were working
    fine).

    Put it all together today, plugged her in and it posts fine. The bios sees
    the floppy drive but not the HD or CD-ROM. I've checked jumper settings, I
    made sure the cables were plugged in tight and right and even changed out the
    brand new cables with the old ones. It still won't see the IDE drives.

    <SIGH> Is this a bad board (or bad IDE ports)? Have I overlooked something?
    Any suggestions on what to try next? (Drinking heavily has crossed my mind.)

    TIA,
    Lew
    Lewis Thomas, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Lewis Thomas

    Om_Audio Guest

    Probably not a bad board.

    Remove one of the drives. Set the jumpers to either Master or Slave- don't
    use Cable Select (though this should not be a problem) Master drives go on
    the end connector, slave drives on the middle- but if you only have a CD and
    a single hard drive then the hard drive goes on Ch1 and CD on CH 2- both set
    to master.

    Boot and see.

    I assume this board will auto detect IDE drives as most new boards do- but
    you may need to go into BIOS and detect IDE like I do on my old BX chipset
    board.

    I hope this info helps,

    Om

    Om_Audio, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Lewis Thomas wrote:

    > Brand spanking new from Newegg to replace my old Celeron 500/ Abit
    > BE6 II machine:

    > I pulled the floppy and CD-ROM drives off the old computer (both were
    > working fine).
    >
    > Put it all together today, plugged her in and it posts fine. The
    > bios sees the floppy drive but not the HD or CD-ROM. I've checked
    > jumper settings, I made sure the cables were plugged in tight and
    > right and even changed out the brand new cables with the old ones.
    > It still won't see the IDE drives.
    >
    > <SIGH> Is this a bad board (or bad IDE ports)? Have I overlooked
    > something? Any suggestions on what to try next? (Drinking heavily
    > has crossed my mind.)

    Reboot into the bios setup and see what pops up on the IDE scanner.

    Truth be told, I'd suggest running with just the HD (Prim-Mast) to
    start, then add 1 cd to opposite chain (Sec-Mast), checking the BIOS
    info at each point.

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Lewis Thomas

    Plato Guest

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ wrote:

    > Lewis Thomas wrote:

    Lewis, you dont know the first rule of building pcs. I'd suggest calling
    a tech before you really mess things up.

    Plato, Feb 8, 2005
  5. Lewis Thomas

    Om_Audio Guest

    Boy Plato, it sure is a good thing you chose not to share the "first rule".
    Then everyone would have found out that it simply does not exist!

    Anyway- show me someone who does not learn from their mistakes or from
    trying to solve a problem and I'll show you someone who simply isn't
    learning.

    Go for it Lewis. Drives fail. We make mistakes. We mess things up. We learn
    many ways to fix them. We learn we cannot fix them and must start from
    scratch again. And if you are really tenacious you may end up learning about
    the MBR and many other fun and exciting things that will increase your
    appreciation for as well as frustration with your beloved new PC!!

    hehe

    For someone who is curious and willing I say more power to you. I'm glad for
    all the folks who have helped ME along the way.

    I do not advise drinking heavily unless in celebration of success. If you
    really are confounded and burnt either sleep on it and try again tomorrow or
    simply pay to have it fixed. Get someone as un-like your biggest "supporter"
    Plato as you can find and they will gladly explain what they discover and
    how they resolved it.

    :)

    Om

    Om_Audio, Feb 9, 2005
  6. Lewis Thomas

    Lewis Thomas Guest

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 04:30:09 -0800, "Om_Audio" <>
    scribbled:

    >Boy Plato, it sure is a good thing you chose not to share the "first rule".
    >Then everyone would have found out that it simply does not exist!
    >
    >Anyway- show me someone who does not learn from their mistakes or from
    >trying to solve a problem and I'll show you someone who simply isn't
    >learning.
    >
    >Go for it Lewis. Drives fail. We make mistakes. We mess things up. We learn
    >many ways to fix them. We learn we cannot fix them and must start from
    >scratch again. And if you are really tenacious you may end up learning about
    >the MBR and many other fun and exciting things that will increase your
    >appreciation for as well as frustration with your beloved new PC!!
    >
    >hehe
    >
    >For someone who is curious and willing I say more power to you. I'm glad for
    >all the folks who have helped ME along the way.
    >
    >I do not advise drinking heavily unless in celebration of success. If you
    >really are confounded and burnt either sleep on it and try again tomorrow or
    >simply pay to have it fixed. Get someone as un-like your biggest "supporter"
    >Plato as you can find and they will gladly explain what they discover and
    >how they resolved it.
    >
    >:)
    >
    >Om

    Thanks Om for the encouragement (and thanks to all that replied). I've seen
    plato around and I know I could never live up to the perfect intellect that
    his illusions have convinced him that he posses.

    I did decide to drink heavily and then try the next day. :cool:

    I had the HD in the primary slot and the CDROM in the secondary, both set to
    master. I tried disconnecting one then the other with no luck. I finally
    connected both back, went into bios and told the board that the secondary was
    the CD. Rebooted and there they both were. Still saying "hmmm" about that.

    Other than that, the board, set up, installations, etc have been flawless.
    Wow - what a machine!

    I do have another question that I'll put in a different thread.

    Thanks again folks.

    Lewis Thomas, Feb 20, 2005
  7. Lewis Thomas

    Om_Audio Guest

    Maybe we are referring to different things? There has always been a "manual"
    auto detect available in the BIOS as far back as I can remember- but I am
    referring to the ability to add IDE devices without having to visit the BIOS
    at all- as the BIOS handlies the entire detection process and re-maps etc.

    Om

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Om_Audio wrote:
    > >
    > > Not really- as my Asus P2B-F is about 5 or 6 years old and does not have
    > > auto IDE detection- gotta love that BX chipset though- I'll be building

    > > new system this year and I'll keep this old workhorse alive as a backup

    and
    > > work machine. I connected a client's C:\ drive to my box once and messed

    up

    Om_Audio, Feb 21, 2005
  8. Lewis Thomas

    Plato Guest

    Om_Audio wrote:

    > Maybe we are referring to different things? There has always been a "manual"
    > auto detect available in the BIOS as far back as I can remember- but I am
    > referring to the ability to add IDE devices without having to visit the BIOS
    > at all- as the BIOS handlies the entire detection process and re-maps etc.

    Grin, yeah I thought something was odd. Now it all makes sense. In other
    words yeah, as I recall you HAD to go into the bios and then run the
    "manual" autodetect even on the PIIs. Before that of course you had to
    manually enter in the heads, cylinders, etc.

    Plato, Feb 21, 2005
  9. Lewis Thomas

    Om_Audio Guest

    So- I moved the card to another PCI slot and it works fine now. Oldest trick
    in the book and I overlooked it- so much for assuming software/hardware have
    advanced beyond this OLD issue!

    Om

    Om_Audio, Oct 7, 2005