BIOS beep code problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by miguellint@yahoo.com, Sep 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
    second-hand AM75-TC

    http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1290&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US

    All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
    repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
    either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
    helpful)

    I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
    cards etc).

    I'm running from the onboard video chip.

    I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.

    I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
    (supposedly) working system.

    What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
    the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
    current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.

    Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
    underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
    connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
    have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.

    Any advice appreciated.

    Regards
    Miguel
    , Sep 1, 2006

  2. On 1 Sep 2006 01:04:57 -0700, <> wrote in

    > Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
    > second-hand AM75-TC
    >
    > http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1290&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US
    >
    > All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
    > repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
    > either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
    > helpful)
    >
    > I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
    > cards etc).
    >
    > I'm running from the onboard video chip.
    >
    > I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
    >
    > I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
    > (supposedly) working system.
    >
    > What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
    > the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
    > current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
    >
    > Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
    > underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
    > connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
    > have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    I would say that an under-powered PSU would be a very likely cause of your
    problem ... to which there is only one solution - a gruntier PSU - and
    don't forget to factor in the peripherals' needs as well. I'd say closer
    to 350-400W.

    --
    Die dulci fruere,
    Nicolaas.

    .... What happens when you get scared half to death ... for the second
    time?
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 1, 2006

  3. On 1 Sep 2006 01:04:57 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
    >second-hand AM75-TC
    >
    >http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1290&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US
    >
    >All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
    >repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
    >either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
    >helpful)
    >
    >I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
    >cards etc).
    >
    >I'm running from the onboard video chip.
    >
    >I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
    >
    >I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
    >(supposedly) working system.
    >
    >What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
    >the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
    >current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
    >
    >Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
    >underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
    >connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
    >have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
    >
    >Any advice appreciated.
    >
    >Regards
    >Miguel

    My DFI AD77 Pro motherboard has started doing something like that if I
    leave it powered off for too long. It starts up, beeps, and shuts
    down again. If I use the jumper to reset the CMOS settings for the
    BIOS, it will then boot OK, so I think it just has a bad CMOS battery.
    Since it is normally running 24/7, I have not yet gotten around to
    replacing the CMOS battery though, so I can not say for sure if that
    is all it is. My guess is that when the CMOS settings go bad, one of
    the protection features is getting a bad value that makes the BIOS
    think the CPU is overheating or something like that, so it does an
    emergency shutdown.

    A 235 W power supply is ample to just bring up the motherboard and one
    stick of RAM, as long as it is able to supply all the voltages the
    motherboard needs.
    Stephen Worthington, Sep 1, 2006
  4. ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
    > second-hand AM75-TC
    >
    > http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1290&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US
    >
    > All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
    > repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
    > either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
    > helpful)
    >
    > I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
    > cards etc).
    >
    > I'm running from the onboard video chip.
    >
    > I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
    >
    > I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
    > (supposedly) working system.
    >
    > What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
    > the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
    > current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
    >
    > Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
    > underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
    > connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
    > have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    It could be anything. Personally I doubt that the (old) mobo has the testing
    capability built-in to detect the maximum power output of the PSU and beep
    accordingly. 235W should be *plenty* to run the bare board. (I had a later
    socket A board, with optical drives, two HDDs, AGP card and overclocked
    running on a 250W) What CPU does he have in it?

    I hope he didn't pay too much for it, that's an old board (no USB2, turn of
    the century I'd say) and was pretty 'budget' when it was new. My first
    thought is that the CPU is stuffed. Do you have another that you can swap
    out to test? Are you prepared to risk another considering the mobo might
    have destroyed the original? Probably best to test the CPU in another board.

    Good luck.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2006
  5. Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
    > second-hand AM75-TC
    >
    > http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1290&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US
    >
    > All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
    > repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
    > either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
    > helpful)
    >
    > I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
    > cards etc).
    >
    > I'm running from the onboard video chip.
    >
    > I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
    >
    > I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
    > (supposedly) working system.
    >
    > What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
    > the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
    > current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
    >
    > Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
    > underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
    > connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
    > have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Thanks all for the advice.....I've had no joy with a different cpu (an
    old 1.3G Duron I had). It didn't even manage a single beep from the
    BIOS. The supplied 1.6G Athlon makes the BIOS beep but that's all.

    Reset the CMOS......nothing. New battery.....nothing.

    Not too sure what to do now but I'm tending towards giving it all back
    to him and saying "give me $40 and I'll pick up an old socket A board
    on trademe". Then if the Athlon and Duron I have don't work get another
    $40 and buy an old socket A chip on trademe. At least I'll be in from
    the beginning of the rebuild. (Actually I really feel like saying go
    buy a swap-a-box for $300)

    Thanks again for your advice....night all :)
    Miguel
    , Sep 2, 2006
  6. Shank Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
    >> second-hand AM75-TC
    >>
    >> http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1290&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US
    >>
    >> All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
    >> repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
    >> either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
    >> helpful)
    >>
    >> I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
    >> cards etc).
    >>
    >> I'm running from the onboard video chip.
    >>
    >> I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
    >>
    >> I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
    >> (supposedly) working system.
    >>
    >> What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
    >> the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
    >> current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
    >>
    >> Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
    >> underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
    >> connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
    >> have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
    >>
    >> Any advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Miguel

    > Thanks all for the advice.....I've had no joy with a different cpu (an
    > old 1.3G Duron I had). It didn't even manage a single beep from the
    > BIOS. The supplied 1.6G Athlon makes the BIOS beep but that's all.
    >
    > Reset the CMOS......nothing. New battery.....nothing.
    >
    > Not too sure what to do now but I'm tending towards giving it all back
    > to him and saying "give me $40 and I'll pick up an old socket A board
    > on trademe". Then if the Athlon and Duron I have don't work get another
    > $40 and buy an old socket A chip on trademe. At least I'll be in from
    > the beginning of the rebuild. (Actually I really feel like saying go
    > buy a swap-a-box for $300)
    >
    > Thanks again for your advice....night all :)
    > Miguel

    http://www.bioscentral.com/

    has bios beep codes for most bioses

    Rob
    Shank, Sep 2, 2006
  7. Guest

    Shank wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
    > >> second-hand AM75-TC
    > >>
    > >> http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1290&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US
    > >>
    > >> All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
    > >> repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
    > >> either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
    > >> helpful)
    > >>
    > >> I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
    > >> cards etc).
    > >>
    > >> I'm running from the onboard video chip.
    > >>
    > >> I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
    > >>
    > >> I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
    > >> (supposedly) working system.
    > >>
    > >> What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
    > >> the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
    > >> current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
    > >>
    > >> Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
    > >> underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
    > >> connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
    > >> have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
    > >>
    > >> Any advice appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Regards
    > >> Miguel

    > > Thanks all for the advice.....I've had no joy with a different cpu (an
    > > old 1.3G Duron I had). It didn't even manage a single beep from the
    > > BIOS. The supplied 1.6G Athlon makes the BIOS beep but that's all.
    > >
    > > Reset the CMOS......nothing. New battery.....nothing.
    > >
    > > Not too sure what to do now but I'm tending towards giving it all back
    > > to him and saying "give me $40 and I'll pick up an old socket A board
    > > on trademe". Then if the Athlon and Duron I have don't work get another
    > > $40 and buy an old socket A chip on trademe. At least I'll be in from
    > > the beginning of the rebuild. (Actually I really feel like saying go
    > > buy a swap-a-box for $300)
    > >
    > > Thanks again for your advice....night all :)
    > > Miguel
    > >

    > http://www.bioscentral.com/
    >
    > has bios beep codes for most bioses
    >
    > Rob

    Hi Rob...Thanks for the url. I'd already checked it out earlier but it
    wasn't that much help. Not the websites fault. Generally there's not
    much info on Award beep codes.

    Regards
    Miguel
    , Sep 3, 2006