    Why would I not want these enabled? I would think that I would. What I've
    read about these features seems to enhance disk performance. (I have a new
    computer.)

    Michael, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Michael

    AG Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have AMI BIOS that does not have 32 Bit Transfer Mode or S.M.A.R.T for
    > Hard Disks enabled by default.
    > Why would I not want these enabled? I would think that I would. What I've
    > read about these features seems to enhance disk performance. (I have a

    new
    > computer.)

    SMART can tell you if there is a problem with your hard disks. This is a
    good thing.
    I put 32 bit transfer mode into Google and came up with this article at:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=3

    This BIOS feature allows you to command the IDE controller to combine two
    16-bit hard disk reads into a single 32-bit data transfer to the processor.
    This greatly improves the performance of the IDE controller as well as the
    PCI bus.

    Therefore, it is highly advisable to enable 32-bit Transfer Mode. If you
    disable it, data transfers from the IDE controller to the processor will
    only occur in 16-bits chunks.
    End Quote

    I think that pretty much says it all.
    AG