    somewhat puzzled.
    Any help or ideas appreciated.
    TIA

    Abert, Dec 14, 2005

  2. Abert

    Trax Guest

    Abert <> wrote:

    |>P3- 550; 70G HD; 268MB PCI 133;
    |>

    |>Hi
    |>I've been trying to install XP onto a machine that previously had
    |>Win98 installed . After many attempts I have given up seeing as the
    |>BIOS and MOBO are to old and the grief of a BIOS upgrade doesn't seem
    |>worth the life of the machine, however now the BIOS and DOS won't see
    |>the full size of the 70G HD anymore. Both only see 13G. I have reset
    |>the BIOS back to "setup defaults" and cleared the CMOS by removing the
    |>battery but no difference.
    |>I have not removed or moved any jumpers on the MOBO or the HD so I'm
    |>somewhat puzzled.
    |>Any help or ideas appreciated.
    |>TIA

    Installing XP seems to of wiped ezdrive from the MBR

    Download, and create a boot floppy with Maxblast
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/maxblast.html
    (This is for maxtor should work with all drives)

    Boot with the floppy and Install the ez-drive application; this only
    installs to the MBR and doesn't affect the data on the drive. This
    enables the bios to read large drives

    FWIW I've installed XP with ez-drive installed and it work'd fine.

    --
    http://www.everyvideogame.com/

    Trax, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Abert

    Plato Guest

    Abert wrote:

    > I've been trying to install XP onto a machine that previously had
    > Win98 installed . After many attempts I have given up seeing as the
    > BIOS and MOBO are to old and the grief of a BIOS upgrade doesn't seem
    > worth the life of the machine, however now the BIOS and DOS won't see
    > the full size of the 70G HD anymore. Both only see 13G. I have reset
    > the BIOS back to "setup defaults" and cleared the CMOS by removing the
    > battery but no difference.

    Try zero filling the drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 15, 2005
  4. Abert

    Abert Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:35:44 -0800, Trax <>
    wrote:

    > Abert <> wrote:
    >
    >|>P3- 550; 70G HD; 268MB PCI 133;
    >|>

    >|>Hi
    >|>I've been trying to install XP onto a machine that previously had
    >|>Win98 installed . After many attempts I have given up seeing as the
    >|>BIOS and MOBO are to old and the grief of a BIOS upgrade doesn't seem
    >|>worth the life of the machine, however now the BIOS and DOS won't see
    >|>the full size of the 70G HD anymore. Both only see 13G. I have reset
    >|>the BIOS back to "setup defaults" and cleared the CMOS by removing the
    >|>battery but no difference.
    >|>I have not removed or moved any jumpers on the MOBO or the HD so I'm
    >|>somewhat puzzled.
    >|>Any help or ideas appreciated.
    >|>TIA
    >

    >Installing XP seems to of wiped ezdrive from the MBR
    >
    >Download, and create a boot floppy with Maxblast
    >http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/maxblast.html
    >(This is for maxtor should work with all drives)
    >
    >Boot with the floppy and Install the ez-drive application; this only
    >installs to the MBR and doesn't affect the data on the drive. This
    >enables the bios to read large drives
    >
    >FWIW I've installed XP with ez-drive installed and it work'd fine.

    Thanks for that Trax. I downloaded the boot disc, ran it and was able
    to install win98 with the correct HD size. I also tried it with Win XP
    Pro but it hung during setup so Win98 it is. Thanks.

    Abert, Dec 15, 2005