Biometric access systems for online website authentication?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by .ep, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. .ep

    .ep Guest

    Hello,

    I am looking for good turnkey solutions (off the shelf) for managing
    online access to a group of websites run by us. We are a large
    organization and very global, but have websites with very targeted
    audience.

    Each of these audience members needs to be uniquely identified. Our
    current system requires them to sign up to our club, based on age,
    passport copies, credit card number etc.

    It is a very rigid system. However, at the end of it, we just give them
    a username and password, which can of course be shared around and
    anyone can login with that information.

    So we are looking for some system that allows us to uniquely identify a
    user. We don't mind giving out small, cheap hardware. We considered
    RSA's SecurID but that's just a device that produces time-stamped
    numbers, and this small device can be shared around with friends, just
    like username and password.

    Would anyone know of, or have had experience with, any biometric
    solution or something of that nature that can allow us to UNIQUELY
    identify individuals?

    Many thanks,
    Erick

    .ep, Dec 19, 2005

  2. .ep

    Ipeefreely Guest

    On 19 Dec 2005 02:00:37 -0800, ".ep" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am looking for good turnkey solutions (off the shelf) for managing
    >online access to a group of websites run by us. We are a large
    >organization and very global, but have websites with very targeted
    >audience.
    >
    >Each of these audience members needs to be uniquely identified. Our
    >current system requires them to sign up to our club, based on age,
    >passport copies, credit card number etc.
    >
    >It is a very rigid system. However, at the end of it, we just give them
    >a username and password, which can of course be shared around and
    >anyone can login with that information.
    >
    >So we are looking for some system that allows us to uniquely identify a
    >user. We don't mind giving out small, cheap hardware. We considered
    >RSA's SecurID but that's just a device that produces time-stamped
    >numbers, and this small device can be shared around with friends, just
    >like username and password.
    >
    >Would anyone know of, or have had experience with, any biometric
    >solution or something of that nature that can allow us to UNIQUELY
    >identify individuals?
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >Erick

    Erick,

    That one is a tough one. However you should be able to use Biometrics
    with SafeWord from www.SecureComputing.com. The issue that I see here
    is how are you going to get all your users BIO Marks into a database?

    I have seen Safeword used in conjunction with Smartcards and PKI
    Digital Certs, and Windows DC with the scheme that is installed with
    the Safeword software.

    Just my .02 Cents

    Ipeefreely, Dec 19, 2005