    I'm looking at 8+42 or 10+42 and waterproof to.

    Tanks
    Eric D.

    Eric Delongchamp, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Eric Delongchamp

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Try Google search.

    For small:

    http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/pockets_reviews.html

    Another:

    http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...3783/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

    For Astro (big):

    http://www.cloudynights.com/breviews/binorev.htm

    And a really big list:

    http://www.excelsis.com/1.0/section.php?sectionid=21&/

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Eric Delongchamp wrote:
    > Is there any goups site or reviews on binoculars I'm looking for a
    > pair, if not what make is the best one to buy for around $100 to $250
    > Canadien dollar, I'll be using them for hunting, boating or nature.
    > I'm looking at 8+42 or 10+42 and waterproof to.

    May I ask why you chose 8X42 or 10X42?

    There are a number of factors to consider when choosing the proper
    binoculars.

    As you may know the first number is the power, an 8 will make things
    appear 8 times larger. For general use that is a good choice. The 10 power
    may be too much for hunting and nature, but may be fine for boating, at
    least on a large boat-ship.

    Most people can hand hold up to about 8 power. Most people start having
    problems holding then steady at 10 power because any unsteadiness is also
    magnified 10 times Most people will not be able to see anything better at
    10 than at 8 and often will be able to see less well. More on this later.

    The second number is the size of the big lens. Bigger means more light
    will be let in. It also means the binoculars will be larger and heavier.
    Letting in more light is important in the evening, indoors and low light
    areas. The size of the lens is only part of the formula for how bright the
    image will be. The other major part of the formula is the power of the
    binoculars (I told you there would be more). If you divide the objective
    size (the second number) but the power (the first number) it will give you
    the relative brightness.

    So your 8X42 will be brighter than the 10X42 and will let you see better
    at night, especially if you are in a boat at night.

    Also entering into the brightness issue is the internal construction of
    the binoculars. The size and design of the prisms can reduce the light but
    they are usually less important than the other factors.

    The quality of the optics can very great from one model - make to
    another. I suggest you look for several things:

    Look as something with a straight line. In the center is will likely be
    straight, but if you move the binoculars so it is near an edge, you will see
    it is bent. Cheaper models will show a lot of bending. Also look at
    sharpness. Focus carefully on something at a distance. Now look at the
    edge. Is the edge sharp? Is the edge the same brightness as the center?

    Now think about how easy it was to focus.

    Well sealed binoculars are better than others. Those that are designed
    to focus by moving internal elements are generally better sealed than those
    that move parts you can see.

    You also should consider how comfortable the eye pieces are and how
    large/heavy they are.

    A good pair can be had for about $200 - $300 Usable models may be had
    less. Really nice ones start at about twice that.

    Ignore Zoom and most other gimmick features unless you have a special
    need for them.

    Good Luck.

    The second number

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Eric Delongchamp

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:33:26 -0400, Eric Delongchamp <>
    wrote:

    >Is there any goups site or reviews on binoculars I'm looking for a
    >pair, if not what make is the best one to buy for around $100 to $250
    >Canadien dollar, I'll be using them for hunting, boating or nature.
    >I'm looking at 8+42 or 10+42 and waterproof to.
    >

    >Tanks
    >Eric D.

    I've tried lots of binoculars, and own a few, and I recommend Bushnell, I have
    the 10x25 and they are so small they fit on my belt, but they are amazingly
    bright! They are brighter then my cheapo Skyline 20x50 which are too hard to
    hold steady.

    I got them on sale at Sears for about $80C or so. There are lots of different
    models.

    Bob, Sep 29, 2004
  5. Eric Delongchamp

    grenner Guest

    http://www.betterviewdesired.com

    A top notch binocular review site.

    Greg

    grenner, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Eric Delongchamp

    Special Ed Guest

    > Is there any goups site or reviews on binoculars I'm looking for a
    > pair, if not what make is the best one to buy for around $100 to $250
    > Canadien dollar, I'll be using them for hunting, boating or nature.
    > I'm looking at 8+42 or 10+42 and waterproof to.
    >

    > Tanks
    > Eric D.

    Consider the top-rated Minolta 8x42 Activa FP/WP (fog proof, water proof)--
    about $135 USD.

    Edw.

    Special Ed, Sep 29, 2004
  7. Eric Delongchamp

    Bluenose Guest

    Here's a good source in Canada, once you have made your choice:

    http://www.binocularscanada.com/

    Bluenose, Sep 29, 2004