    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Evil Bastard wrote:
    > ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
    > production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
    > the 'Halo' PC game.

    Don't cut off your nose to spite your face

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Evil Bastard

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:59:41 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
    > production company, which will be used to create the movie version of the
    > 'Halo' PC game.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > EB

    isnt the first time
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/case/hotmail/default.mspx

    Shane, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Evil Bastard

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Evil Bastard

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 19:16:28 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:59:41 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
    >>> production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
    >>> the 'Halo' PC game.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Cheers
    >>> EB

    >> isnt the first time
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/case/hotmail/default.mspx
    >
    > That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)

    Picky Picky Picky :p

    Shane, Oct 6, 2005
  6. Evil Bastard

    shannon Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >

    >>On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:59:41 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:
    >>

    >>>...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
    >>>production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
    >>>the 'Halo' PC game.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Cheers
    >>>EB

    >>isnt the first time
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/case/hotmail/default.mspx
    >
    > That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)

    Why would they care ?
    Its not like renderfarms or modeling or compositing software are any
    sort of core business for Microsoft.
    They never have been, they have come to linux systems from Silicon
    Graphics unix systems.
    Weta uses software that is owned by Apple and Pixar, and all the sound
    is edited on Macs but no one has yet remarked on Steve Jobs involvement
    in the Halo movie.
    It just doesn't matter. (repeat until the penny drops)

    shannon, Oct 6, 2005
  7. Evil Bastard

    Chris Hope Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> Shane wrote:

    >>>isnt the first time

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/case/hotmail/default.mspx

    >> That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)
    >>

    > Why would they care ?
    > Its not like renderfarms or modeling or compositing software are any
    > sort of core business for Microsoft.
    > They never have been, they have come to linux systems from Silicon
    > Graphics unix systems.
    > Weta uses software that is owned by Apple and Pixar, and all the sound
    > is edited on Macs but no one has yet remarked on Steve Jobs
    > involvement in the Halo movie.

    What has that got to do to with what I posted? I was merely pointing out
    that Hotmail used FreeBSD and not Linux before MS bought them out. And
    in any case they switched it all over to Windows in 2000 anyway.

    > It just doesn't matter. (repeat until the penny drops)

    No kidding.

    Chris Hope, Oct 6, 2005
  8. Evil Bastard

    thingy Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
    > production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
    > the 'Halo' PC game.

    Part of the deal is that PJ has to move to a MS cluster instead of a
    Linux one......

    ;]

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 6, 2005
  9. Evil Bastard

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    That's not quite true WRT Microsoft being into modelling/rendering software.
    They bought SoftImage in the mid/late 90's, and tried to run with that for a
    while to target the games market, but failed miserably. So they sold it.

    Not all software that Weta uses is from Apple & Pixar. The stuff from Apple
    is predominantly compositing/editing software (Shake), and the stuff from
    Pixar is rendering licenses (Renderman). They still use a truckload of
    Alias|Wavefront tools for modelling, and a swag of proprietary tools
    developed before/during LOTR that are Unix, NT & Mac based. Not to mention
    some big iron from SGI running Discreet gear such as Inferno.

    At that end of the day, they get what is necessary to complete a task, and
    if they can't find anything, they write it themselves.

    --

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    "Two wrongs don't make a right.... it usually takes three or more!"

    Mark Remfrey, Oct 6, 2005
  10. Evil Bastard

    thingy Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:

    >>> isnt the first time
    >>>

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/case/hotmail/default.mspx
    >>

    >> That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)
    >>

    > Why would they care ?
    > Its not like renderfarms or modeling or compositing software are any
    > sort of core business for Microsoft.
    > They never have been, they have come to linux systems from Silicon
    > Graphics unix systems.
    > Weta uses software that is owned by Apple and Pixar, and all the sound
    > is edited on Macs but no one has yet remarked on Steve Jobs involvement
    > in the Halo movie.
    > It just doesn't matter. (repeat until the penny drops)

    It seems to come down to MS worrying that Linux is preceived to be a
    leader in any particular IT niche...

    I believe Steve Balmer accepted Linux was leading in clusters, and MS
    had a way to catch up, but it was going to be a priority...

    The artists must use high end workstations and there must have good
    profit margins on these things, something MS would be foolish not to
    want to be into. The high profile Linux gets from being in Holywood and
    the "sexy image" must do wonders for Linux boxes as well, much to the
    concern of MS, Im sure.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 6, 2005
  11. Evil Bastard

    Andrew Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Evil Bastard wrote:
    >
    >> ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
    >> production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
    >> the 'Halo' PC game.
    >>

    > Part of the deal is that PJ has to move to a MS cluster instead of a
    > Linux one......
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    That is... after hell freezes over

    Andrew, Oct 6, 2005
  12. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Part of the deal is that PJ has to move to a MS cluster instead of a
    > Linux one......

    Could be good - imagine the hordes of hax0rs descending on Weta
    Digital's clusters and inserting all kinds of... interesting... footage :)

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Oct 6, 2005
  13. Evil Bastard

    steve Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:

    > ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
    > production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
    > the 'Halo' PC game.

    SHUSH!

    Bill will insist it be rendered on Windows......and we won't see the movie
    until 2021

    steve, Oct 6, 2005
  14. Evil Bastard

    PAM. Guest

    "Evil Bastard" <> wrote in message
    > Could be good - imagine the hordes of hax0rs descending on Weta
    > Digital's clusters and inserting all kinds of... interesting... footage :)

    You're watching Halo - the film. The main character is shooting the evil
    empire and wiping the floor with them. As he looks as he's just about to die
    after running out of ammo.....BSOD.

    :)

    PAM..

    PAM., Oct 6, 2005
  15. Evil Bastard

    shannon Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Hope wrote:

    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/case/hotmail/default.mspx
    >>>

    >>> That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)
    >>>

    >> Why would they care ?
    >> Its not like renderfarms or modeling or compositing software are any
    >> sort of core business for Microsoft.
    >> They never have been, they have come to linux systems from Silicon
    >> Graphics unix systems.
    >> Weta uses software that is owned by Apple and Pixar, and all the sound
    >> is edited on Macs but no one has yet remarked on Steve Jobs
    >> involvement in the Halo movie.
    >> It just doesn't matter. (repeat until the penny drops)

    > It seems to come down to MS worrying that Linux is preceived to be a
    > leader in any particular IT niche...
    >
    > I believe Steve Balmer accepted Linux was leading in clusters, and MS
    > had a way to catch up, but it was going to be a priority...
    >
    > The artists must use high end workstations and there must have good
    > profit margins on these things, something MS would be foolish not to
    > want to be into. The high profile Linux gets from being in Holywood and
    > the "sexy image" must do wonders for Linux boxes as well, much to the
    > concern of MS, Im sure.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    The irony is that the animators and the IT department that support them
    is used to working in Unix since Weta / Wingnut got its very first SGI
    Onyx for Heavenly Creatures.
    This matters to Microsoft like Panavisions movie camera business matters
    to Sony
    IOW It Just Doesn't Matter

    shannon, Oct 6, 2005
  16. Evil Bastard

    shannon Guest

    Mark Remfrey wrote:

    <Top posting sorted>

    "shannon" <> wrote in message

    >> Why would they care ?
    >> Its not like renderfarms or modeling or compositing software are any

    sort
    >> of core business for Microsoft.
    >> They never have been, they have come to linux systems from Silicon
    >> Graphics unix systems.
    >> Weta uses software that is owned by Apple and Pixar, and all the

    sound is
    >> edited on Macs but no one has yet remarked on Steve Jobs involvement in
    >> the Halo movie.
    >> It just doesn't matter. (repeat until the penny drops)

    > That's not quite true WRT Microsoft being into modelling/rendering software.
    > They bought SoftImage in the mid/late 90's, and tried to run with that for a
    > while to target the games market, but failed miserably. So they sold it.
    >
    > Not all software that Weta uses is from Apple & Pixar. The stuff from Apple
    > is predominantly compositing/editing software (Shake), and the stuff from
    > Pixar is rendering licenses (Renderman). They still use a truckload of
    > Alias|Wavefront tools for modelling, and a swag of proprietary tools
    > developed before/during LOTR that are Unix, NT & Mac based. Not to mention
    > some big iron from SGI running Discreet gear such as Inferno.
    >
    > At that end of the day, they get what is necessary to complete a task, and
    > if they can't find anything, they write it themselves.

    Yeah, Softimage was never really core business for Microsoft, it was a
    market leader at the time and Maya rules now. The current Softimage XSI
    has XP and Linux versions. Face Robot looks great.
    I worked with TDI Explore way back, so I remember the various acquisitions
    The reason for their lack of penetration into movies is simply because
    unix was first and windows offers no compelling reason for change.
    The ironic reverse of the MSOffice story
    Wetas Maya and Shake are on Redhat as I'm sure you are aware
    Shake is a unix app whether it is on irix osx or rh workstations
    What controls the choice of platform is who you can hire, (he tangata x3)
    The monkey movie has 20 people on protools on osx at the moment because
    thats like hiring a graphics person that knows photoshop or an office
    admin that knows msword.
    The kiddies that spend all day with Maya are just the same, they know
    all the pluginz and speak the arcane language.
    http://www.joealter.com/
    CGI nerds are unix nerds.

    shannon, Oct 7, 2005
  17. Evil Bastard

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:26:28 +1300, shannon wrote:

    > The kiddies that spend all day with Maya are just the same, they know all
    > the pluginz and speak the arcane language. http://www.joealter.com/
    > CGI nerds are unix nerds.

    How pessimistic are you about Autodesk owning Alias?

    Will they be left alone, or absorbed?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 7, 2005
  18. Evil Bastard

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:26:28 +1300, shannon wrote:
    >
    >> The kiddies that spend all day with Maya are just the same, they know all
    >> the pluginz and speak the arcane language. http://www.joealter.com/
    >> CGI nerds are unix nerds.

    > How pessimistic are you about Autodesk owning Alias?
    >
    > Will they be left alone, or absorbed?

    Autodesk own Discreet, and have done so for quite some time. No change has
    been presented externally to Discreet users, only the corporatisation of
    their internals.

    It will be interested how they handle the whole 3DSMax/Maya scenario, and
    whether they rationalise their products.

    Mark Remfrey, Oct 7, 2005
  19. Evil Bastard

    shannon Guest

    Mark Remfrey wrote:
    > "AD." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:26:28 +1300, shannon wrote:
    >>

    >>>The kiddies that spend all day with Maya are just the same, they know all
    >>>the pluginz and speak the arcane language. http://www.joealter.com/
    >>>CGI nerds are unix nerds.

    >>How pessimistic are you about Autodesk owning Alias?
    >>
    >>Will they be left alone, or absorbed?
    >>

    > Autodesk own Discreet, and have done so for quite some time. No change has
    > been presented externally to Discreet users, only the corporatisation of
    > their internals.
    >
    > It will be interested how they handle the whole 3DSMax/Maya scenario, and
    > whether they rationalise their products.

    Autodesk have recently absorbed the Discreet branding
    Combustion is now called Autodesk Combustion.
    The high end IRIX stuff is now Autodesk Discreet Flame etc.
    It all looks like it is losing its identity though.
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=2774123

    shannon, Oct 7, 2005
  20. Evil Bastard

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    Yeah, had to happen sooner or later... a shame though.

    I still have a full set of original Discreet Logic lapel pins for all of the
    old products, I wonder how much they would go for on EBay.

    Scorpion, water, theta symbol etc..

    Mark Remfrey, Oct 7, 2005