Bill Gates is hooked on Heroin

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sano, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Sano

    Sano Guest

    Sano, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Sano

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:04:52 -0600, Sano wrote:

    >http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/7783796.htm
    >
    >(watch the wrap)
    >
    >Ah, Bill has a novel way to eliminate spam. Unfortunately, Bill is no
    >longer a member of the real world.

    Oh, goody. Yet another proposed C/R (read: easily abusable/abusive) system. It
    won't work. But of course, since M$ already spams, what the hell does he care?

    "Bleah."

    --
    If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once
    in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. --Rene Descartes

    Mara, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Sano

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick, Jan 25, 2004
  4. Sano

    trout Guest

    Sano wrote:

    > http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/7783796.htm
    >
    > (watch the wrap)
    >
    > Ah, Bill has a novel way to eliminate spam. Unfortunately, Bill is no
    > longer a member of the real world.

    Pop up box:

    "Prove ye not a Spammer be
    Answer now these riddles three!"
    --
    "Dear Helpdesk. What the hell???"

    trout, Jan 25, 2004
  5. Sano

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:29:04 -0800, trout wrote:

    >Sano wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/7783796.htm
    >>
    >> (watch the wrap)
    >>
    >> Ah, Bill has a novel way to eliminate spam. Unfortunately, Bill is no
    >> longer a member of the real world.

    >Pop up box:
    >
    >"Prove ye not a Spammer be
    > Answer now these riddles three!"

    Wow. Net Demon shows the page is LOADED with doubleclick crap.

    "GAH."

    Mara, Jan 25, 2004
  6. Sano

    trout Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:29:04 -0800, trout wrote:
    >
    >> Sano wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/7783796.htm
    >>>
    >>> (watch the wrap)
    >>>
    >>> Ah, Bill has a novel way to eliminate spam. Unfortunately, Bill is
    >>> no longer a member of the real world.

    >> Pop up box:
    >>
    >> "Prove ye not a Spammer be
    >> Answer now these riddles three!"

    > Wow. Net Demon shows the page is LOADED with doubleclick crap.
    >
    > "GAH."

    Those people *are* a plague. I had a recent look at my Hosts file,
    and they're blocked with about 130 separate entries.
    --
    "GAH, indeed."

    trout, Jan 25, 2004
  7. Sano

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:26:16 -0800, trout wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    >>> Pop up box:
    >>>
    >>> "Prove ye not a Spammer be
    >>> Answer now these riddles three!"

    >> Wow. Net Demon shows the page is LOADED with doubleclick crap.
    >>
    >> "GAH."

    > Those people *are* a plague. I had a recent look at my Hosts file,
    >and they're blocked with about 130 separate entries.

    They don't seem to realise that spamming by popups is still spamming. Witless,
    intrusive, spamming greedpigs.

    http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/01/19/1820256.shtml?tid=111

    If it works at all in the beginning, it won't last long, and their already
    hideous reputation will take another dive. They can't see that on account of the
    dollar signs in their eyes, though.

    "JHC."

    Mara, Jan 25, 2004
  8. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Mara <> typed
    || On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:04:52 -0600, Sano wrote:
    ||| http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/7783796.htm
    ||| (watch the wrap)
    ||| Ah, Bill has a novel way to eliminate spam. Unfortunately, Bill is
    ||| no
    ||| longer a member of the real world.
    || Oh, goody. Yet another proposed C/R (read: easily abusable/abusive)
    || system. It won't work. But of course, since M$ already spams, what
    || the hell does he care?
    || "Bleah."

    But it doesn't worry you at all because you use Linux, right?

    Robert de Brus, Jan 25, 2004
  9. Sano

    Zknb Guest

    This is jsut the latest attempt, its called "Chalenging" Microsoft did
    not invent it nor inovate it, but it looks like they are stealing it.

    Anyway it will never work.

    Maybe for personal use

    But I get far more spam at my work. I have complained to our IS
    department and they replied that they are not allowed to block ANY
    incoming email simply because it may be a customer and no business
    with the right mind would challenge every customer email that arrives
    either.

    That would be a very fast way to lose customers.

    Zknb, Jan 25, 2004
  10. Sano

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool, Jan 25, 2004
  11. Sano

    Sano Guest

    - Zknb <> - spluttered
    in news::

    <snip>

    > But I get far more spam at my work. I have complained to our IS
    > department and they replied that they are not allowed to block ANY
    > incoming email simply because it may be a customer and no business
    > with the right mind would challenge every customer email that arrives
    > either.

    My regular email addy is several "X"'s and "O"'s. It's a little tribute to
    a grandmother, and I prefer to keep using it.

    But increasingly, it's getting blocked or bounced.

    Sano, Jan 25, 2004
  12. Sano

    ñKs Guest

    She's on Ignorance.

    ñKs, Jan 25, 2004
  13. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Zknb <> typed
    || This is jsut the latest attempt, its called "Chalenging" Microsoft
    || did not invent it nor inovate it, but it looks like they are
    || stealing it.
    || Anyway it will never work.
    || Maybe for personal use
    || But I get far more spam at my work. I have complained to our IS
    || department and they replied that they are not allowed to block ANY
    || incoming email simply because it may be a customer and no business
    || with the right mind would challenge every customer email that arrives
    || either.
    || That would be a very fast way to lose customers.

    Rubbish! They're only challenged once.

    Robert de Brus, Jan 26, 2004
  14. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:Xns947B4A1B37525ecksandother@216.196.97.132,
    Sano <> typed
    || - Zknb <> -
    || spluttered in
    || <snip>
    ||| But I get far more spam at my work. I have complained to our IS
    ||| department and they replied that they are not allowed to block ANY
    ||| incoming email simply because it may be a customer and no business
    ||| with the right mind would challenge every customer email that
    ||| arrives either.
    || My regular email addy is several "X"'s and "O"'s. It's a little
    || tribute to a grandmother, and I prefer to keep using it.
    || But increasingly, it's getting blocked or bounced.

    Business is business, not time for sentimentality in business. If your email
    address keeps getting blocked, but you'd prefer it not to be blocked it's up
    to you, bit the people blocking it.

    Robert de Brus, Jan 26, 2004
  15. Sano

    wisefool Guest

    Robert de Brus said:

    > In news:,
    > Zknb <> typed
    >>> This is jsut the latest attempt, its called "Chalenging" Microsoft
    >>> did not invent it nor inovate it, but it looks like they are
    >>> stealing it.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway it will never work.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe for personal use
    >>>
    >>> But I get far more spam at my work. I have complained to our IS
    >>> department and they replied that they are not allowed to block ANY
    >>> incoming email simply because it may be a customer and no business
    >>> with the right mind would challenge every customer email that
    >>> arrives either.
    >>>
    >>> That would be a very fast way to lose customers.

    > Rubbish! They're only challenged once.

    How hard are the problems?

    "The IQ required to contact account manager Y is X."

    I imagine problems getting the computer to come up with sufficiently
    unique problems. They would need a new type of problem every few
    hours I'd imagine.

    What I also don't understand is that presumably
    the amount of unique marketing text going out in SPAMs must be very small --
    there can't be many full-time SPAM message copy writers (I mean fine
    filter out the random words and characters -- not hard). What you
    want is ID files for messages in real-time so they can be fished out of
    Exchange and they can be subjected to the nearest electronic equivalent
    of being ceremonially burned.

    What would be the best newgroup for this kind of stuff?

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 26, 2004
  16. Sano

    Zknb Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:13:29 +1100, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m
    a i l.com> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Zknb <> typed
    >|| This is jsut the latest attempt, its called "Chalenging" Microsoft
    >|| did not invent it nor inovate it, but it looks like they are
    >|| stealing it.
    >|| Anyway it will never work.
    >|| Maybe for personal use
    >|| But I get far more spam at my work. I have complained to our IS
    >|| department and they replied that they are not allowed to block ANY
    >|| incoming email simply because it may be a customer and no business
    >|| with the right mind would challenge every customer email that arrives
    >|| either.
    >|| That would be a very fast way to lose customers.
    >
    >Rubbish! They're only challenged once.

    Rubbish?

    I tell you what, if I sent an email to a company I had used in the
    past and they sent is back with some BS puzzle I have to complete or
    other hoops I have to jump through to prove to THEM that I was indeed
    a customer of THEIRS before the even decide if they want to RECEIVE my
    email.

    I certainly would be looking for another company that does not mind
    hearing from their customers.

    And there are a lot of people out there like me.

    I know I used to work in customer service.

    Competition is fierce and you only get ONE shot in business.

    Zknb, Jan 26, 2004
  17. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:bv1mu1$avk$,
    wisefool <> typed
    || Robert de Brus said:
    ||| In news:,
    ||| Zknb <> typed
    ||| Rubbish! They're only challenged once.
    || How hard are the problems?
    || "The IQ required to contact account manager Y is X."
    || I imagine problems getting the computer to come up with sufficiently
    || unique problems. They would need a new type of problem every few
    || hours I'd imagine.
    || What I also don't understand is that presumably
    || the amount of unique marketing text going out in SPAMs must be very
    || small -- there can't be many full-time SPAM message copy writers (I
    || mean fine
    || filter out the random words and characters -- not hard). What you
    || want is ID files for messages in real-time so they can be fished out
    || of Exchange and they can be subjected to the nearest electronic
    || equivalent
    || of being ceremonially burned.

    I use POPFile on my gateway, and it's running at 100% accuracy atm. Of
    course I still get the spam, but it goes straight to my deleted items
    folder. I can quickly scan through to see if there are any legit emails and
    restore them if needed.

    Also I believe the idea of Microsoft's antispam thingy is that the only way
    a spammer can get the email through is to have it authenticated by the
    reciever. If the email address keeps changing (as it does in order to beat
    anti spam programs that look at the email address) it will need to be
    authenticated every time. I read somewhere some time ago that this
    authentication would take around 10 minutes. But, of course, if it's a bogus
    email address the authentication never takes place, and the spam never
    arrives.

    If, on the other hand, someone wishes to send spam from a legitimate email
    address, it would quickly become apparent that it would not be cost
    effective to have to authenticate every single email sent out to thousands,
    or millions or email addresses.

    Robert de Brus, Jan 26, 2004
  18. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Zknb <> typed
    || On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:13:29 +1100, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m
    || a i l.com> wrote:
    ||| In news:,
    ||| Zknb <> typed
    ||| Rubbish! They're only challenged once.
    || Rubbish?
    || I tell you what, if I sent an email to a company I had used in the
    || past and they sent is back with some BS puzzle I have to complete or
    || other hoops I have to jump through to prove to THEM that I was indeed
    || a customer of THEIRS before the even decide if they want to RECEIVE
    || my email.

    Surely if you're dealt with them before they'll have you on file... unless
    they didn't like you?

    || I certainly would be looking for another company that does not mind
    || hearing from their customers.

    My company probably wouldn't wish to do business with such an impatient
    person.

    || And there are a lot of people out there like me.

    Are there? Are you speaking for all of them?

    || I know I used to work in customer service.

    I'm glad you know where you used to work.

    || Competition is fierce and you only get ONE shot in business.

    Do you? Are you speaking for every business?

    Robert de Brus, Jan 26, 2004
  19. Sano

    Zknb Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:16:05 +1100, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m
    a i l.com> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Zknb <> typed
    >|| Rubbish?
    >|| I tell you what, if I sent an email to a company I had used in the
    >|| past and they sent is back with some BS puzzle I have to complete or
    >|| other hoops I have to jump through to prove to THEM that I was indeed
    >|| a customer of THEIRS before the even decide if they want to RECEIVE
    >|| my email.
    >
    >Surely if you're dealt with them before they'll have you on file... unless
    >they didn't like you?

    Or unless I have never contacted them by email.

    >|| I certainly would be looking for another company that does not mind
    >|| hearing from their customers.
    >
    >My company probably wouldn't wish to do business with such an impatient
    >person.

    Then you company would not be in business very long.

    Ever hear the term "The customer is always right"?

    >|| And there are a lot of people out there like me.
    >
    >Are there? Are you speaking for all of them?

    Yes there are, and if I came across someone with your attitude I
    certainly would take my business elsewhere.

    >|| I know I used to work in customer service.
    >
    >I'm glad you know where you used to work.

    Yup, I got tired of dealing with ass hole customers like ME and moved
    into engineering.

    Like I said there are a lot of people out there just like me.

    >|| Competition is fierce and you only get ONE shot in business.
    >
    >Do you? Are you speaking for every business?

    I may have made some generalities but the original topic stands.

    Bill Gates must be on drugs if he thinks this idea is going to stomp
    out spam in two years.

    Zknb, Jan 26, 2004
  20. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Zknb <> typed
    || On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:16:05 +1100, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m
    || a i l.com> wrote:
    ||| In news:,
    ||| Zknb <> typed
    ||| Surely if you're dealt with them before they'll have you on file...
    ||| unless they didn't like you?
    || Or unless I have never contacted them by email.

    But we're talking about email, nothing else.

    ||| My company probably wouldn't wish to do business with such an
    ||| impatient person.
    || Then you company would not be in business very long.
    || Ever hear the term "The customer is always right"?

    I've heard of it, and anyone in business knows it's a load of crap. The
    customer is rarely right, and contrary to popular belief it is NOT a good
    way of doing business... unless you wish to go broke.

    ||| Are there? Are you speaking for all of them?
    || Yes there are, and if I came across someone with your attitude I
    || certainly would take my business elsewhere.

    But I've already refused to do business with you, so I'm happy with your
    decision.

    ||| I'm glad you know where you used to work.
    || Yup, I got tired of dealing with ass hole customers like ME and moved
    || into engineering.

    Obviously you were not good at uour job. How many people have died as a
    result of your engineering mishaps?

    || Like I said there are a lot of people out there just like me.

    Too many, unfortunately.

    ||| Do you? Are you speaking for every business?
    || I may have made some generalities but the original topic stands.
    || Bill Gates must be on drugs if he thinks this idea is going to stomp
    || out spam in two years.

    Whatever you say, dear.

    Robert de Brus, Jan 26, 2004