Bill Doesn't Love Us Anymore

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by thinkhammer@gmail.com, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Bill Gates launched his new search engine service today. On the front
    page of MSN.com, he strikes a Peter Norton-esque pose and offers us
    personal assurances that MSN search is more precise and more powerful
    than before. He also wants us to try his new desktop file search
    program designed to compete with Google's Desktop Search. What Bill
    does not mention in his letter is that if you want to use his new
    desktop search, install his search bar, or even try his video search,
    you must first be running his Internet Explorer. Sorry, Bill.

    In the days when Microsoft was young and Bill was King, he could ask us
    to use his software and we would. Bill brought us standards, and Bill
    crushed his competitors by delivering software that served our needs.
    He gave us better spreadsheets, easier word-processing, and
    successively friendlier and more powerful operating systems. Sure, he
    didn't always succeed, but he was always trying. He kept working at it
    until we were delighted. Somewhere along the way, however, Bill lost
    interest in us. Bill got a little older. He became hard of hearing. His
    software started gaining weight. Bill became complacent and stopped
    trying to delight us. He started trying to figure out how he might
    satisfy us with the absolute least amount of effort. He lost interest
    in us and we in him.

    Dear Bill,

    I am so happy for you and your new search engine. I hope it does
    well for you. I can't tell you how it pains me to write this, but I
    won't be able to use it. I have decided that I am not going to run
    Internet Explorer anymore. It doesn't feel safe.

    Every day I hear more stories of how people have given up Internet
    Explorer for Firefox, so I know I am not alone in this decision. While
    others may have been jealous of your success or afraid of your market
    dominance, I have never been troubled by them. You have helped create
    an industry, and I have always appreciated your contributions.

    I shifted to Firefox in a moment of frustration. After spending two
    days wrestling with your biggest OS update ever and finally getting it
    installed, I loaded a news website and found out that yet another
    critical security warning had been issued for IE. That was the last
    straw. I switched.

    I have been happy with my new browser. I like its speed. I like the
    tabbed interface. I like that it stopped blocked popups the day I
    loaded it without having to load yet another piece of software. I am
    once again delighted to use my computer.

    Again, I hope you do well with your new offering. I just wanted you
    to know that you will have to do it without me.
    -PY

    http://phil.yanov.com/2005/02/bill-doesnt-love-us-anymore.htm

    , Feb 1, 2005