Biking with Camera - Lowepro Micro Trekker / Tamrac Velocity 7 ???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cmotel@ameritech.net, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello:

    I'm purchasing a Pentax *ist DL with the 18-55 & 50-200 DA zooms and
    wish to bring this equipment (lens hoods too - along with a Promaster
    5750DX flash, when Promaster makes available the new *ist DL module in
    a month) with on bike rides.

    The trails will be moderate off-road types. The durations between 1.5
    hrs and 3 hrs. There will be a mix of sun beating down on the bag and
    contents as well as shade. I will not be out in the rain, but the one
    side of the bag will likely get damp from perspiration.

    >From the standpoint of basic protection from the routine jostling of

    the ride, are the Lowepro Micro Trekker 100 / 200 models as well as the
    Tamrac Velocity 7 appropriate solutions?

    I read praise for Lowepro, got to try a 100 but worry about it's
    long-term comfort. I'm 6'-2" with a long torso. The waist strap was
    just below my ribs. I assume the 200 would be slightly (2") better, but
    haven't seen any to try.

    I just saw info on the Tamrac, and it appears to have a lot of
    potential. However, does the bag shift around with movement causing the
    high-strap to cut into your neck? The idea of rotating the bag when
    needed seems to resolve peoples' complaints of having to entirely
    remove a backpack to access their equipment.

    I've seen hip bags but worry that the camera equipment will receive
    more shock the closer it is to the bike seat.

    I welcome any responses. Are these _the_ solutions? Are there any
    others? How is the quality of the Tamrac bag? I think all will fit into
    the Lowepros but am not yet certain about the Velocity 7. Anyone with
    one care to comment?

    What about the effect of perspiration potentially making one side of
    the bag damp? These will be humid summer rides and I'll be out with
    essentially a sheet of plastic on my back. Is the ride short enough
    where this really won't be an issue for the camera equipment? What
    degree of moisture _is_ a hazard for digital cameras? The one extreme I
    read about was a camera going from a car (a few hours in the winter)
    into a humid natatorium. The guy had problems thereafter, but then this
    sounded like a severe case.

    One final wrinkle. If I opt to carry a monopod, is there any way to do
    so on _these_ bags? Any bike frame clips?

    Thanks for your time.

    Regards,

    Corey Motel

    , Mar 29, 2006

  2. > I'm purchasing a Pentax *ist DL with the 18-55 & 50-200 DA zooms and
    > wish to bring this equipment (lens hoods too - along with a Promaster
    > 5750DX flash, when Promaster makes available the new *ist DL module in
    > a month) with on bike rides.
    >
    > The trails will be moderate off-road types. The durations between 1.5
    > hrs and 3 hrs. There will be a mix of sun beating down on the bag and
    > contents as well as shade. I will not be out in the rain, but the one
    > side of the bag will likely get damp from perspiration.
    >
    >>From the standpoint of basic protection from the routine jostling of

    > the ride, are the Lowepro Micro Trekker 100 / 200 models as well as the
    > Tamrac Velocity 7 appropriate solutions?
    >
    > I read praise for Lowepro, got to try a 100 but worry about it's
    > long-term comfort. I'm 6'-2" with a long torso. The waist strap was
    > just below my ribs. I assume the 200 would be slightly (2") better, but
    > haven't seen any to try.

    I'm 6' (on a good-posture day) and use the Lowepro 100 Micro Trekker... and
    it's been great. I deliberately chose the smaller version because it's
    shorter, which still allows me to get to my back jersey pockets for my Fuji
    F10 for those on-the-go shots.

    > I just saw info on the Tamrac, and it appears to have a lot of
    > potential. However, does the bag shift around with movement causing the
    > high-strap to cut into your neck? The idea of rotating the bag when
    > needed seems to resolve peoples' complaints of having to entirely
    > remove a backpack to access their equipment.

    I looked into that sort of bag and decided it probably wasn't going to stay
    put enough when riding. And that's for road riding; it would be even more of
    an issue on a mountain bike ride.

    > I've seen hip bags but worry that the camera equipment will receive
    > more shock the closer it is to the bike seat.

    Not only that, but it's going to interfere with your breathing, and possibly
    impact on the bike when things get gnarly. Not an option, in my humble
    opinion.

    > I welcome any responses. Are these _the_ solutions? Are there any
    > others? How is the quality of the Tamrac bag? I think all will fit into
    > the Lowepros but am not yet certain about the Velocity 7. Anyone with
    > one care to comment?

    Haven't actually tried the others; they might be great, but it was the
    feature set of the Mirco Trekker that did it for me.

    > What about the effect of perspiration potentially making one side of
    > the bag damp? These will be humid summer rides and I'll be out with
    > essentially a sheet of plastic on my back. Is the ride short enough
    > where this really won't be an issue for the camera equipment? What
    > degree of moisture _is_ a hazard for digital cameras? The one extreme I
    > read about was a camera going from a car (a few hours in the winter)
    > into a humid natatorium. The guy had problems thereafter, but then this
    > sounded like a severe case.

    I've ridden up some pretty nasty climbs, generating a lot of heat & sweat,
    and not seen any moisture issues inside the backpack. On the other hand,
    I've often had fogging problems with cameras removed from my jersey pocket
    on a cold day; going from the warm pocket to the cold outside air wasn't
    kind. No long-lasting effects though, on a multitude of cameras.

    > One final wrinkle. If I opt to carry a monopod, is there any way to do
    > so on _these_ bags? Any bike frame clips?

    You could possibly carry a tripod on your bike frame using pump clips. In
    fact, I'm sure you could if you used the padded velcro type. I don't have my
    camera bag handy at the moment, but I believe it's got attachment points for
    a tripod as well, but I don't think that would be safe on a bike... if you
    crashed, you might get hurt pretty badly.

    > Thanks for your time.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Corey Motel

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Mark Roberts Guest

    I used the Tamrac Velocity 7 for a week-long cycle trip through France
    in September. It worked very well for me. This was all road riding but
    I never had any problems with it moving around excessively.

    FYI, I was shooting with a Pentax ist-D and a handful of primes. I
    took 5 lenses on the trip but only carried two or three of them with
    me on any given day. Some photos are on line at
    http://www.robertstech.com/temp/loire.htm

    Mark Roberts, Mar 30, 2006
  4. Guest

    Mike / Mark:

    Thank you both for your responses. As it turns out, a local shop offers
    both brands. I got to take a brief look at the Velocity 7 & 9. They're
    obtaining a Micro Trekker 100 & 200 from their warehouse, and I should
    be able to compare all and select one early next week. The Velocity
    seems like it will flop around, however there is a waist belt that will
    likely solve the problem. I got to the store just before closing time
    and didn't get to try it though. The 7 might be a bit too small for the
    flash - which I still seem determined to take along.

    Mark - very nice photographs. Being one who still believes B&W has a
    place, I especially liked those images. (I received my ist-DL a couple
    of days ago. Contrary to the users manual, it wouldn't function with
    alkaline cells and I feared it was defective, but thus far it seems to
    be working fine with NiMH cells.) If you know anything about the
    low-end 18-55mm Pentax DA zoom, can you comment about barrel play? Mine
    seems loose. The 50-200 doesn't have nearly as much play.

    My thanks again.

    Corey

    , Apr 1, 2006