    the other drive. I called someone and they told me that it was
    impossible.. can I have someone's opinion......... or advice on how to
    do .. thanks.

    vid, Jan 6, 2007

  2. vid

    philo Guest

    "vid" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All.. have P3 128 MB 501 Mhz.. File System Fat 32... C.. D..E...
    > Drives.. little space left on C Drive.
    > Would like to install a bigger 80 GB Second Drive.. some ppl told me
    > that I could install a Boot CD and transfer everything but Win OS to
    > the other drive. I called someone and they told me that it was
    > impossible.. can I have someone's opinion......... or advice on how to
    > do .. thanks.

    To transfer data...you just click and drag...

    to transfer the entire OS, it's best to sue some type of cloning software.

    OTOH: you can just keep the present drive as-is and use the new drive for
    add'l storage

    philo, Jan 6, 2007

  3. vid

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:13:33 -0800, vid Has Frothed:

    > Hi All.. have P3 128 MB 501 Mhz.. File System Fat 32... C.. D..E...
    > Drives.. little space left on C Drive.
    > Would like to install a bigger 80 GB Second Drive.. some ppl told me
    > that I could install a Boot CD and transfer everything but Win OS to
    > the other drive. I called someone and they told me that it was
    > impossible.. can I have someone's opinion......... or advice on how to
    > do .. thanks.

    Acronis Easy Migrate, google it. Free trial for 15 days.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jan 6, 2007
  4. vid

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 6 Jan 2007 10:13:33 -0800, "vid" <> wrote:

    >Hi All.. have P3 128 MB 501 Mhz.. File System Fat 32... C.. D..E...
    >Drives.. little space left on C Drive.

    So that's 3 drives.

    >Would like to install a bigger 80 GB Second Drive.. some ppl told me
    >that I could install a Boot CD and transfer everything but Win OS to
    >the other drive. I called someone and they told me that it was
    >impossible.. can I have someone's opinion......... or advice on how to
    >do .. thanks.

    Are C, D and E hard drives? Do you also have a CD/DVD drive? If so,
    assuming C D and E are physical drives, you have 4 IDE devices. You
    can have 2 per channel, and most motherboards have 2 channels. So
    you'd need to ditch one of the drives.

    Evan Platt, Jan 6, 2007
  5. vid

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 12:22:06 -0600, philo Has Frothed:

    > "vid" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All.. have P3 128 MB 501 Mhz.. File System Fat 32... C.. D..E...
    >> Drives.. little space left on C Drive.
    >> Would like to install a bigger 80 GB Second Drive.. some ppl told me
    >> that I could install a Boot CD and transfer everything but Win OS to
    >> the other drive. I called someone and they told me that it was
    >> impossible.. can I have someone's opinion......... or advice on how to
    >> do .. thanks.
    >>

    > To transfer data...you just click and drag...
    >
    > to transfer the entire OS, it's best to sue some type of cloning software.

    Why would he want to sue cloning software?

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jan 6, 2007
  6. vid

    philo Guest

    > > To transfer data...you just click and drag...
    > >
    > > to transfer the entire OS, it's best to sue some type of cloning

    software.

    > Why would he want to sue cloning software?

    oops looks like my left hand is beating my right hand !

    philo, Jan 6, 2007
  7. vid

    Lookout Guest

    On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 12:53:00 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >> > To transfer data...you just click and drag...
    >> >
    >> > to transfer the entire OS, it's best to sue some type of cloning

    >software.
    >>
    >> Why would he want to sue cloning software?
    >>

    >oops looks like my left hand is beating my right hand !

    Ahhhh...is that what you call it where you come from?

    Lookout, Jan 6, 2007
  8. vid

    Lookout Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:46:24 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On 6 Jan 2007 10:13:33 -0800, "vid" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi All.. have P3 128 MB 501 Mhz.. File System Fat 32... C.. D..E...
    >>Drives.. little space left on C Drive.

    >So that's 3 drives.
    >
    >>Would like to install a bigger 80 GB Second Drive.. some ppl told me
    >>that I could install a Boot CD and transfer everything but Win OS to
    >>the other drive. I called someone and they told me that it was
    >>impossible.. can I have someone's opinion......... or advice on how to
    >>do .. thanks.

    >Are C, D and E hard drives? Do you also have a CD/DVD drive? If so,
    >assuming C D and E are physical drives, you have 4 IDE devices. You
    >can have 2 per channel, and most motherboards have 2 channels. So
    >you'd need to ditch one of the drives.

    I'm sure those are partitions

    Lookout, Jan 6, 2007
  9. vid

    PeeCee Guest

    "vid" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All.. have P3 128 MB 501 Mhz.. File System Fat 32... C.. D..E...
    > Drives.. little space left on C Drive.
    > Would like to install a bigger 80 GB Second Drive.. some ppl told me
    > that I could install a Boot CD and transfer everything but Win OS to
    > the other drive. I called someone and they told me that it was
    > impossible.. can I have someone's opinion......... or advice on how to
    > do .. thanks.

    vid

    Go to the website of you new hard drive manufacturer and look in the tools
    section.
    There should be a free download that will 'image' (ie copy verbatim) your
    present C: drive to the new drive.
    Just 'read the instructions' (several times if necessary) and you should be
    able to put the new drive in as C: with everything intact.
    The only 'gotch' will be if you have apps installed to D:, E: etc, these
    will break until you reinstall them.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 6, 2007
  10. "vid" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All.. have P3 128 MB 501 Mhz.. File System Fat 32... C.. D..E...
    > Drives.. little space left on C Drive.
    > Would like to install a bigger 80 GB Second Drive.. some ppl told me
    > that I could install a Boot CD and transfer everything but Win OS to
    > the other drive. I called someone and they told me that it was
    > impossible.. can I have someone's opinion......... or advice on how to
    > do .. thanks.

    Why not donate that under powered tired old dog to a museum for ancient
    computers and go get a new one. Don't spend any money on that doorstop...

    Marty Kallikak, Jan 6, 2007
  11. vid

    vid Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On 6 Jan 2007 10:13:33 -0800, "vid" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi All.. have P3 128 MB 501 Mhz.. File System Fat 32... C.. D..E...
    > >Drives.. little space left on C Drive.

    > So that's 3 drives.
    >
    > >Would like to install a bigger 80 GB Second Drive.. some ppl told me
    > >that I could install a Boot CD and transfer everything but Win OS to
    > >the other drive. I called someone and they told me that it was
    > >impossible.. can I have someone's opinion......... or advice on how to
    > >do .. thanks.

    > Are C, D and E hard drives? Do you also have a CD/DVD drive? If so,
    > assuming C D and E are physical drives, you have 4 IDE devices. You
    > can have 2 per channel, and most motherboards have 2 channels. So
    > you'd need to ditch one of the drives

    Thanks for your post, C is the hard drive,,,,,,,,,, D is CD player E is
    Cd writer,,,,,, so assuming from your post.............. the 80 GB will
    become say c drive and d drive
    old c drive will become e with a spare drive lol..........

    vid, Jan 7, 2007