    everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for programs
    I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?
    Thanks
    Blaze, Mar 28, 2005

  2. Blaze

    John Holmes Guest

    Blaze asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of
    > the options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this,
    > will everything work?

    Yes

    > Will I loose any drivers or registry settings
    > for programs I have?

    No

    > Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?

    Yes

    > Thanks

    Anytime.

    --
    - John Holmes -

    " I ain't no **** "

    \|/
    John Holmes, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Blaze wrote:
    > I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of the
    > options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this, will
    > everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for programs
    > I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?
    > Thanks

    It'll work. Just be careful when you're choosing which drive to copy
    FROM and TO, could make a big difference.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Blaze

    S W Guest

    "Blaze" <> wrote in message
    >I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of the
    >options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this, will
    >everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for programs
    >I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?
    > Thanks

    There /could/ be a difference if the new disk is a different type of disk,
    eg if your current disk is an IDE disk, and your new one is SATA, it may ask
    for drivers when you boot. But although it will probably find them
    automatically, you may have to insert your Windows XP disk.

    What I would recommend is that when you have cloned the disks, you shut down
    the PC instead os rebooting it. At that point, disconnect your old disk,
    then restart the PC with the new disk as the only one present. If you don't
    do that, th PC will try to reboot from the original disk, and treat the new
    one as a second, non-system disk. Then you'll have to re-clone to get the
    new one back up to date with the first.

    Regards

    SW
    S W, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Blaze

    Blaze Guest

    Thank you all for your replies. I was concerned that everything would not
    work.

    Blaze, Mar 28, 2005
  6. Blaze

    Tiny Tim Guest

    "Blaze" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you all for your replies. I was concerned that everything would not
    > work.
    >
    > "S W" <> wrote in message
    >> "Blaze" <> wrote in message
    >>>I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of
    >>>the options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this,
    >>>will everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for
    >>>programs I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?
    >>> Thanks

    >> There /could/ be a difference if the new disk is a different type of
    >> disk, eg if your current disk is an IDE disk, and your new one is SATA,
    >> it may ask for drivers when you boot. But although it will probably find
    >> them automatically, you may have to insert your Windows XP disk.
    >>
    >> What I would recommend is that when you have cloned the disks, you shut
    >> down the PC instead os rebooting it. At that point, disconnect your old
    >> disk, then restart the PC with the new disk as the only one present. If
    >> you don't do that, th PC will try to reboot from the original disk, and
    >> treat the new one as a second, non-system disk. Then you'll have to
    >> re-clone to get the new one back up to date with the first.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> SW

    A small word of warning based on my experiences with Ghost..... I cloned a
    drive using Ghost 9.0 within Windows and had no end of trouble with
    confusion over drive letters when I tried to boot from the new drive. It was
    seen by Windows as a D: drive and nothing I could do would turn it into a C:
    drive, even when I removed the original drive from the PC.

    The problems vanished completely when I used an older version of Ghost to
    clone the disk within a DOS environment. I wasted many hours trying to
    fathom the problem under Windows with no success. Using Ghost within DOS got
    me sorted in 10 minutes.
    Tiny Tim, Mar 28, 2005
  7. Blaze

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Mar 29, 2005
  8. Blaze

    El Duderino Guest

    A quick word: when I replaced my HD with a larger one I had to re-register
    my copy of XP with M$; this also happened when I swapped a CD rewrite for a
    DVD rewrite. Although it is relatively easy, and costs a phone call, it is
    very annoying to have to do it. Also, if using a copy of XP or cracked
    version be aware they will request a s/n, so get one ready.

    --
    'tis clean me thinks; Messr's Kaspersky & AVG sayeth such

    El Duderino, Mar 29, 2005