Big VoIP Project

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by John McKenzie, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. I have a somewhat ambitious project and I wanted to solicit the newsgroup
    for general comments, advice, etc. Possibly this will inspire new
    directions for me as well. Please remember that vague "you can't/do not
    bother" comments without reasons as to why can already be written by me.

    My workplace has communication problems. Our radios do not work and all
    efforts to address the problem so far have failed. It looks like our
    problems are being escalated to regulators as it may be related to crowded
    radio usage. Also, phone communication is needed by many employees who are
    only issued radios. Cell phone equipment investment would be fine, but
    paying monthly bills for more than a dozen new phones from now until the
    end of time is not.

    So here is our situiation:

    -Normal two-way radios are not working for us and there
    may be spectrum issues.

    -Direct person to person mobile communication is needed, and the ability
    to make phone calls would be a great bonus.

    -Cannot induce fees other than what we are currently paying (Internet/PSTN
    phone lines, etc).

    We could buy another new radio repeater, have experts review the building
    for the forth time and buy all new radios again. So far though, this has
    yet to work so we are reluctant to do it again. Anyone with a laptop seems
    to be able to get on the wireless network though...

    So wireless VoIP came to mind. We could even set-up a software PBX system
    to enhance it if need be. I work at an airport, and the local phone
    company provides a free WiFi network in the terminal. Buying some WiFI
    handsets came to mind as a way to address our problems. This has issues
    though.

    I doubt the WiFi hotspot extends to the ramp (the area between the
    terminal and the runway) or every part of the terminal building for that
    matter, the phone company could start charging without notice or cut us
    off altogether arbitraily. So for the long term, we would like to know if
    deploying our own wireless VoIP system could be done.

    Several options occured to me. They all have problems, and most of them
    are just ideas and not something I would really know how to implement.
    (Hovever, I would love the chance to learn and the challenge to do it.)

    Buying a million WiFi routers to cover the needed areas is one idea. This
    would require much work and would be very expensive. The range for WiFi is
    such that the number of needed access points discourages me.

    Now, I know this is pretty wild, but how about entering the wacky world
    of WiMAX? There are some WiMAX enabled handsets we could import, and new
    one are supposedly coming next year. What I like about WiMAX is that the
    range and power is such that a single base station should be able to cover
    the whole airport/aerodome. I have absolutely no idea how much a WiMAX
    base station costs and if one can even acquire equipment that does less
    than cover an entire city neighbourhood. We spend thousands and thousands
    on normal two-way radio infrastructure, but not tens of thousands and I do
    not know where a WiMAX base station lies in that range. However, knowing
    we have through coverage _everywhere_ we need it, and being able to
    accomplish this with a single device is super appealing.

    A private cell phone network would be cool. Buying cheap, regular GSM
    handsets has great appeal. Hooking an IP-PBX into this so calls to the
    PSTN could be made would make for a great all round system. I heard of
    picocells and femtocells, however, I have yet to figure out if something
    inbetween a full cell tower and a picocell exists. As I understand it (and
    this may be wrong) pico/femtocells are more home/single floor of small
    office building scale. A real cell tower is a million dollars more than we
    have to spend and 50 times too much. A picocell is no where near enough in
    terms of range. Pico/femto cells sound WiFi like in their range. I used to
    work for a cell phone company. If a private cell phone system is possible,
    it would be very appealing. However, it has to cover an entire airport.

    So general advice, ideas, information, etc that may be applicable to this
    situiation would be appreciaed. Who knows, perhaps one of your posts will
    inspire me to a totally different idea that will save the day.

    Thanks, all.
    John McKenzie, Jul 12, 2007

  2. John McKenzie

    Guest

    Check with Halifax members of the Radio Amateurs of Canada for
    suggestions. Being south of the border I'm
    not familiar with Canadian government regulations and frequency
    allocations.

    "Hams", as they're called, quite often patch wireless voice
    communications to the wired network,
    so they'd be familiar with equipment that might meet your
    requirements.

    See

    http://www.rac.ca/cdn_clubs/region_atlantic.htm

    On Jul 11, 8:47 pm, John McKenzie <> wrote:

    > So general advice, ideas, information, etc that may be applicable to this
    > situiation would be appreciaed. Who knows, perhaps one of your posts will
    > inspire me to a totally different idea that will save the day.
    >
    > Thanks, all.
    , Jul 13, 2007

  3. John McKenzie

    GeekBoy Guest

    "John McKenzie" <> wrote in message

    > I have a somewhat ambitious project and I wanted to solicit the newsgroup
    > for general comments, advice, etc. Possibly this will inspire new
    > directions for me as well. Please remember that vague "you can't/do not
    > bother" comments without reasons as to why can already be written by me.
    >
    > My workplace has communication problems. Our radios do not work and all
    > efforts to address the problem so far have failed. It looks like our
    > problems are being escalated to regulators as it may be related to crowded
    > radio usage. Also, phone communication is needed by many employees who are
    > only issued radios. Cell phone equipment investment would be fine, but
    > paying monthly bills for more than a dozen new phones from now until the
    > end of time is not.
    >

    > So here is our situiation:
    >
    > -Normal two-way radios are not working for us and there
    > may be spectrum issues.

    What is wrong with those cheapy radios? Now selling ones getting in the 20+
    mile range for ~$80 US a pair.

    more below.........

    > -Direct person to person mobile communication is needed, and the ability
    > to make phone calls would be a great bonus.
    >
    > -Cannot induce fees other than what we are currently paying (Internet/PSTN
    > phone lines, etc).
    >

    > We could buy another new radio repeater, have experts review the building
    > for the forth time and buy all new radios again. So far though, this has
    > yet to work so we are reluctant to do it again. Anyone with a laptop seems
    > to be able to get on the wireless network though...
    >
    > So wireless VoIP came to mind. We could even set-up a software PBX system
    > to enhance it if need be. I work at an airport, and the local phone
    > company provides a free WiFi network in the terminal. Buying some WiFI
    > handsets came to mind as a way to address our problems. This has issues
    > though.
    >
    > I doubt the WiFi hotspot extends to the ramp (the area between the
    > terminal and the runway) or every part of the terminal building for that
    > matter, the phone company could start charging without notice or cut us
    > off altogether arbitraily. So for the long term, we would like to know if
    > deploying our own wireless VoIP system could be done.
    >

    > Several options occured to me. They all have problems, and most of them
    > are just ideas and not something I would really know how to implement.
    > (Hovever, I would love the chance to learn and the challenge to do it.)
    >

    > Buying a million WiFi routers to cover the needed areas is one idea. This
    > would require much work and would be very expensive. The range for WiFi is
    > such that the number of needed access points discourages me.
    >
    > Now, I know this is pretty wild, but how about entering the wacky world
    > of WiMAX? There are some WiMAX enabled handsets we could import, and new

    You could start yor own mini cell phone network by reprogramming used cell
    phones to work on the system.
    The slower the speed the network is used, the more accurate distance it can
    be used. I have seen some ratings in the 20 mile range for some pretty fast
    speeds.

    > one are supposedly coming next year. What I like about WiMAX is that the
    > range and power is such that a single base station should be able to cover
    > the whole airport/aerodome. I have absolutely no idea how much a WiMAX
    > base station costs and if one can even acquire equipment that does less

    I should be getting pricing tomorrow from a company.

    End of comments

    GeekBoy, Jul 18, 2007