Big Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by yakis, May 20, 2006.

  1. yakis

    yakis Guest

    Hi every one,
    I was helping a friend to set up her printer, her pc is running with WIndows
    Home SP2.
    While I was in the wizard driver installation, the wizard window froze up,
    showed only blank screen. Funny thing was, I could saved up all my opened
    files and could click the Restart button.
    When the pc retarted, it got to the point after reading the Video card and
    it showed a very strange screen with these on it:

    Award Medallion Bios v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
    Copyright(c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc
    Asus Athlon(TM) XP 1800+
    Memory Test : 262144K OK
    Award Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A
    Initialize Plug and Play cards........
    PNP INIT Completed
    Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard
    Detecting Primary Master.....Maxtor 6E030L0
    Detecting Primary Slave.......none
    Detecting Secondary Master.....MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8583
    Detecting Secondary Slave.......NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A
    ---

    That's it, the dash line just kept blinking, I waited for a long time, still
    nothing happened, so I switch the pc off and switch it on again after a few
    minutes, the same thing happened, it did noe react to any keyboard key.

    Please help,
    jakis
    yakis, May 20, 2006

  2. yakis

    Trax Guest

    "yakis" <> wrote:

    |>Hi every one,
    |>I was helping a friend to set up her printer, her pc is running with WIndows
    |>Home SP2.
    |>While I was in the wizard driver installation, the wizard window froze up,
    |>showed only blank screen. Funny thing was, I could saved up all my opened
    |>files and could click the Restart button.
    |>When the pc retarted, it got to the point after reading the Video card and
    |>it showed a very strange screen with these on it:
    |>
    |>Award Medallion Bios v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
    |>Copyright(c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc
    |>Asus Athlon(TM) XP 1800+
    |>Memory Test : 262144K OK
    |>Award Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A
    |>Initialize Plug and Play cards........
    |>PNP INIT Completed
    |>Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard
    |>Detecting Primary Master.....Maxtor 6E030L0
    |>Detecting Primary Slave.......none
    |>Detecting Secondary Master.....MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8583
    |>Detecting Secondary Slave.......NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A
    |>---
    |>
    |>That's it, the dash line just kept blinking, I waited for a long time, still
    |>nothing happened, so I switch the pc off and switch it on again after a few
    |>minutes, the same thing happened, it did noe react to any keyboard key.

    Not sure what your installing or why it would want to wrte to the MBR
    but enter your BIOS and turn off: Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard

    If it works, run AVG and do a boot sector scan.

    --
    Music videos http://www.milinkito.com/los80.php
    Someone did all the work, so you don't have to :)

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=sud-IdjIV-o
    Trax, May 20, 2006

  3. yakis

    Mike Easter Guest

    yakis wrote:
    > I was helping a friend to set up her printer, her pc is running with
    > WIndows Home SP2.

    Does that mean you were also physically connecting a printer to some
    port such as the parallel port?

    Presumably you physically connected the printer to a computer which was
    turned off at the time, yes?

    > When the pc retarted, it got to the point after reading the Video
    > card and it showed a very strange screen with these on it:
    >
    > Award Medallion Bios v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
    > Copyright(c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc
    > Asus Athlon(TM) XP 1800+
    > Memory Test : 262144K OK
    > Award Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A
    > Initialize Plug and Play cards........
    > PNP INIT Completed
    > Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard
    > Detecting Primary Master.....Maxtor 6E030L0
    > Detecting Primary Slave.......none
    > Detecting Secondary Master.....MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8583
    > Detecting Secondary Slave.......NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A
    > ---
    >
    > That's it, the dash line just kept blinking, I waited for a long
    > time, still nothing happened, so I switch the pc off and switch it on
    > again after a few minutes, the same thing happened, it did noe react
    > to any keyboard key.

    What is supposed to happen right after the detection of those drives at
    step^1 75h is the detection of the serial and parallel ports at step
    77h -- which parallel port might be the one where the printer is
    supposed to be plugged in which might have some kind of either damage or
    improper connection.

    ^1 http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/awardbios.htm AWARD Version 6.0
    (i810):

    You might also have the BIOS configured improperly for the printer
    connection.

    For my first troubleshooting step, I would turn off the computer and
    physically disconnect the printer from its port. Next, you should tell
    us what kind of printer and connection this is.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 20, 2006
  4. yakis

    yakis Guest

    Hi Trax,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am a newbie with computer, I did try to press the F keys, I think it was
    F12 first and then F2....F8... but not being able to get into SETUP or BOOT
    Config.
    I don't quite understand what you meant by turning off "Trend
    ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard". Please help me further, thanks.
    By the way, why is the pc hang like that, every thing else seemed to be ok,
    I could open the CD Rom drive etc.
    jakis

    yakis, May 20, 2006
  5. yakis

    yakis Guest

    Hi Mike,
    The priter is Canon CJS 240, I did notice that the connector at the end of
    the cable had 2 or 3 pins missing.
    It was true of what you said about the printer port, I was adding and
    deleting few ports.
    Then suddenly, the install driver wizard froze and I retart the computer,
    that's how it happened.
    Don't know what to do now.
    jakis

    yakis, May 20, 2006
  6. yakis

    Mike Easter Guest

    yakis wrote:

    > The priter is Canon CJS 240, I did notice that the connector at the
    > end of the cable had 2 or 3 pins missing.

    You don't need all of them. Did the cable come with the printer?

    > Don't know what to do now.

    As I said....

    >> For my first troubleshooting step, I would turn off the computer and
    >> physically disconnect the printer from its port.

    It would be useful to know if the computer will boot now with the
    printer disconnected..

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 20, 2006
  7. yakis

    yakis Guest

    Yeah Mike, The cable come with printer.
    Actually, I was installing an Ethernet LAN card for her newly subscribed
    broadband internet provider. Everything was OK, got on line and configured
    her email account etc. But later when we wanted to print some documents, the
    printer did nothing. I downloaded the driver and tried again, it still did
    not print. So I juggle around with the cable and tried to add new ports for
    it, suddenly, the wizard driver installation froze and that's how all began.
    I am at home now, I will go to her house later and tried to physically
    disconnect the cable and I'll get back to you .
    Sorry for telling you this now.
    Thanks,
    yakis

    yakis, May 20, 2006
  8. yakis

    Mike Easter Guest

    yakis wrote:

    > The cable come with printer.

    So I'm going to assume printing function was previously normal.

    > I was installing an Ethernet LAN card

    Which moves around the irq and can affect other PCI but normally
    wouldn't affect the printer

    > later when we wanted
    > to print some documents, the printer did nothing.

    I can't think of anything about installing the NIC that would affect the
    printer, except that you are physically back there doing things that
    might have disturbed a shaky connection. Normally the parallel is held
    together by clips or screws.

    > So I juggle around
    > with the cable

    In the old days there used to be warnings about doing hot connects and
    disconnects on the parallel. Supposedly that is more robust now - but I
    would still be concerned about disconnecting and connecting a live
    parallel port.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 20, 2006
  9. yakis

    Trax Guest

    "yakis" <> wrote:

    |>Hi Trax,
    |>Thanks for your reply.
    |>I am a newbie with computer, I did try to press the F keys, I think it was
    |>F12 first and then F2....F8... but not being able to get into SETUP or BOOT
    |>Config.
    |>I don't quite understand what you meant by turning off "Trend
    |>ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard". Please help me further, thanks.
    |>By the way, why is the pc hang like that, every thing else seemed to be ok,
    |>I could open the CD Rom drive etc.
    |>jakis

    Usually to enter the BIOS you press the DEL key right after you turn
    it on - should show on the screen first thing -Hit Pause/break key to
    stop it there if you need more time - enter to continue-

    Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard would be in one of the subdirectories
    change it to OFF, it's only there to keep things from writing to the
    MBR, which isn't needed anymore if you run a virus program.

    Trax, May 21, 2006