Big problem w/ Kodak dx6340 (long)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mike, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    hey photo folks,
    kodak -dx6340 - serial # is 607294.
    upc:0-41771-55910-6 ship date from factory 6/16/03. whse06668.

    here is what transpired. i got the camera friday, 8/1/03, shipped to me from
    an ebay seller. it sure appeared to be new in the box as the factory
    shipping date indicates.

    I installed the battery that comes with the camera (the non-rechargable)
    and the camera worked like a champ as did the dock for transferring the
    photos.
    ..
    i set it up on the dock with the rechargeable battery to charge and went to
    bed.

    i got up this AM, formatted the 128mb sandisk that came with it and took a
    couple of snaps and the camera died. i thought it was a charging problem at
    first.

    i turned the camera off then back on. the "readylight" blinked green and
    then went steady red and then went out.

    i recharged it for a couple of hours and used the dock to transfer pics to
    my pc and deleted the originals from the camera.

    i printed a few and tried to take a few more pics. this time the lcd would
    not go on at all and i got the same green blinks, then steady red and then
    death again

    i tried to recharge it yet again and the camera around the battery
    compartment felt warm so i took it off the dock and removed the batteries
    and they were very warm. uh oh!

    i went to my local BESTBUY store (don't know if you have them where you
    are ) it is a large electronics store.

    i scoped out a few cameras there before buying the dx6340. a most helpful
    young man named ron took me to school on the 6340.

    i brought the new one to him this morning and asked him if he knew what was
    wrong.

    he was great, even though he knows i didn't buy it there. he put in a kodak
    lithuim battery in it and we got the green blink, the steady red and death
    again.

    his conclusion is that the camera is "fried". (i love technical jargon like
    that). he said he has seen this before and that his store just sends them
    back to kodak.

    he also tells me that kodak will want $170 just to look at the camera.

    i have emailed the person i bought if from but have heard nothing yet (but
    it's only been a few hours).

    i am sad about this. any other ideas as to what may be wrong (other than,
    "hey man, it's fried.").

    any similar experiences? know any fixes (hopefully) out there?

    thank you,

    mike

    mike, Aug 2, 2003

  2. mike

    share Guest

    I had the same problem with a DX3900, took it back to Bestbuy, they gave me
    a new camera and it did the same thing. So I popped some regular akaline
    batteries in it and it worked just fine. My boyfriend has that camera now
    and he uses regular rechargables in it and it's still working for him.
    Hope this helps!

    share, Aug 3, 2003

  3. mike

    Ron Hunter Guest

    philo wrote:
    > <snipped>
    >
    >> i went to my local BESTBUY store (don't know if you have them where you
    >>are ) it is a large electronics store.
    >>
    >>i scoped out a few cameras there before buying the dx6340. a most helpful
    >>young man named ron took me to school on the 6340.
    >>
    >>i brought the new one to him this morning and asked him if he knew what

    > was
    >
    >>wrong.
    >>
    >>he was great, even though he knows i didn't buy it there. he put in a

    > kodak
    >
    >>lithuim battery in it and we got the green blink, the steady red and death
    >>again.
    >>
    >>his conclusion is that the camera is "fried". (i love technical jargon

    > like
    >
    >>that). he said he has seen this before and that his store just sends them
    >>back to kodak.
    >>
    >>he also tells me that kodak will want $170 just to look at the camera.
    >>
    >>i have emailed the person i bought if from but have heard nothing yet (but
    >>it's only been a few hours).
    >>
    >>i am sad about this. any other ideas as to what may be wrong (other than,
    >>"hey man, it's fried.").
    >>
    >>any similar experiences? know any fixes (hopefully) out there?
    >>
    >>thank you,
    >>
    >>mike
    >>

    > i also have a kodak (different model)
    > it works absolutely great with standard alkaline (non-rechargeable
    > batteries)
    >
    > but with any rechargeable battery i;ve tried...
    > including those that came with the camera...
    > the camera only takes a few pictures then dies.
    >
    > i've posted on other groups and found that folks generally have good results
    > with rechargeable so maybe it's something with kodak???
    >
    > at any rate i'd give it a try with some standard alkaline...
    > the camera may be OK
    >
    > electronic devices can apparantly be affected by not only battery voltage...
    > but the battery's internal resistance

    If the camera doesn't work properly with a lithium battery that is
    supplied, then it IS defective. It should work well with any of the
    recommended batteries, or it should be repaired.
    Use of non-rechargeable batteries in a digital camera greatly increases
    the cost per shot, which is one of the great advantages of digital cameras.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 3, 2003
  4. mike

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings all reading this issue,

    Actually, the scenario that was offered implies more than the battery. But,
    Mike, I suggest you try the following. I have posted the scenario before
    but offer it to this thread as I believe it will help you. If you have
    tried using a new Lithium battery, and the camera won't boot up, then there
    is an issue with the camera. If it is a matter of power, then this should
    resolve the issue with charging in the dock. Try using a different memory
    card if you have the camera set to read the card first. You should be able
    to do this at the store.

    As to the battery issues that some of the others have had, review the
    following as it will help you.

    Because batteries are chemical products involving internal chemical
    reactions, their performance may deteriorate with prolonged storage. NiMH
    rechargeable batteries, if not used for a while, may need to be
    reconditioned as you would when using them for the first time. Otherwise,
    deactivation of the internal reactants may cause decreased capacity, which
    causes premature termination of charging. In other words, the batteries
    will not charge completely, even though the dock indicates they have.

    If this happens, we have a couple of recommendations. First, make sure you
    have the latest firmware (some models have updates). If you don't, consider
    updating your camera to the latest version. You can locate the update by
    going to:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/software

    Once there, choose your camera from the list. The next page will offer all
    the available software for your model, including any current firmware
    updates, if available. The firmware download will have a "Read-me" file
    that contains the directions for performing the update.

    Once you have successfully completed the update, we recommend conditioning
    your battery the way you would if it were being used for the first time, as
    we mentioned above. It is important that you be sure you always have a
    fully charged battery. To do so, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE
    Camera Dock. When the charge light turns green (all three green lights are
    lit for a Dock II), then remove the camera from the dock FOR A MINIMUM OF 5
    MINUTES, and place it back on the dock. The 5 minutes the camera is off the
    dock are the key to correct recharging for a new or uncharged battery.
    Repeat this same process until the combined charging time, while the light
    is red on the dock, EQUALS A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.

    Once you have completed this charging process, we recommend that you leave
    the camera on its dock and intermittently check it for power (remove from
    the dock for a while then replace it). If you use your camera frequently,
    of course, you will always have a charged battery because you will be
    removing and replacing it. If you do not use your camera frequently,
    periodically remove the camera from the dock and take a few test shots.
    Doing this assures a properly maintained battery so that you will have lots
    of power.

    Do not make the mistake of trying to charge the KODAK PHOTOLIFE Lithium
    Battery, CRV3, that comes with the camera. It is not rechargeable, and an
    attempt to do so could result in leakage. Also, please be aware that the
    camera will only charge the KODAK KAA2HR NiMh Battery. Non-Kodak batteries
    or individual AA rechargeable batteries (including Kodak batteries) are not
    compatible with this charger. If you need a separate charger, you should be
    able to find one using the Kodak Accessory links.
    http://www.kodak.com/go/accessories

    Remember, your camera's dock is only charging when it displays the red
    light. If the light is green, that means it is either done charging or has
    detected another type of battery it cannot charge.

    PLEASE ALSO NOTE! Your camera's batteries lose power during image reviews
    and when adjusting camera settings. Use of the LCD screen is also a big
    drain.

    Ron Baird, Aug 7, 2003