Big news, or a non-event?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Jul 1, 2007.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://www.theregister.com/2007/06/30/weird_internet_behaviour/
    ûnnet Beskerming researchers observed an interesting deviation in global
    network traffic over the last 24 hours, particularly for South American,
    Asian, and Australian networks. Normally, global Internet traffic (as
    observed by the Internet Traffic Report) oscillates around nine per cent
    packet loss, with global response times of 138 ms, and the internally
    derived traffic index at around 79.

    Sustained over the last 24 hours, the traffic index has dipped almost five
    per cent, packet loss has climbed to 11 per cent, and the global response
    time to almost 150 ms.
    Click here to find out more!

    Normal spikes and dips as observed on the Internet Traffic Report show up as
    no more than three- or four-hour blocks of odd results before settling back
    into normalcy. This latest spike and dip has been sustained for at least 18
    hours, with a rapid ramp up in the six hours prior to the peaks (and lows)
    being reached.

    __EOP__
    I've been experiencing connection related problems in the last 48 hours so
    cannot say (for sure) if the above is affecting me at all.
    The article goes on to surmise that the spikes are related (somehow) to a
    recent exploit made available recently is somehow related. Which, if true,
    suggests the worst is yet to come.

    --
    Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his

    Shane, Jul 1, 2007