    watched it yet...

    KEEP THE PEACE
    Dave Chabot www.shemakhan.com
    Lookingglass, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Lookingglass

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    news:tfMjc.35084$0u6.6121270@attbi_s03...
    > What's the verdict on this DVD/film? I purchased it yesterday but I

    haven't
    > watched it yet...

    Then watch it and come to your own verdict. ;)

    FWIW, I liked it.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 28, 2004

  3. Lookingglass

    Justin Guest

    Lookingglass wrote on [Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:07:05 GMT]:
    > What's the verdict on this DVD/film? I purchased it yesterday but I haven't
    > watched it yet...

    You are allowed to make your own decisions on whether you like it or
    not.
    Justin, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Lookingglass

    Richard C. Guest

    Then watch it.
    =========
    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    : What's the verdict on this DVD/film? I purchased it yesterday but I
    haven't
    : watched it yet...
    :
    :
    Richard C., Apr 28, 2004
  5. Lookingglass

    RnR Lesnar Guest

    To me, its one of the worse movies ever in regards to entertainment value.
    The story was just too weird for me. If you want a good father son movie,
    watch Frequency.

    --
    RnR Lesnar
    It's True, It's True- Kurt Angle

    RnR Lesnar, Apr 28, 2004
  6. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    I guess the question was too hard for some of you... maybe if I re-state the
    question in "simpler" words... What do YOU think of the film/DVD... when I
    watch the film tonight, I will have my own opinion.

    Lookingglass, Apr 28, 2004
  7. Lookingglass

    TSKO Guest

    Hummmm.....I am looking forward to the repsonses from this statement

    TSKO, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Lookingglass

    Mark B. Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    > What's the verdict on this DVD/film? I purchased it yesterday but I

    haven't
    > watched it yet...
    >

    > KEEP THE PEACE
    > Dave Chabot www.shemakhan.com

    I don't get this - why would anyone purchase a film they've never seen?
    Mark B., Apr 29, 2004
  9. "Mark B." <> wrote in news:yNCdnS9n0ub6yA3dRVn-
    :

    > "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    >> What's the verdict on this DVD/film? I purchased it yesterday but I

    > haven't
    >> watched it yet...
    >>

    >> KEEP THE PEACE
    >> Dave Chabot www.shemakhan.com
    >>

    > I don't get this - why would anyone purchase a film they've never

    seen?

    I do it all the time!

    And I have no fucking idea why.

    But then I also tend to buy a lot of video games without renting them
    first, either.
    Jamal Chapultapec, Apr 29, 2004
  10. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    a BIG FISH update...

    Well... after reading some reviews of BIG FISH before I settled in to watch
    this movie with my partner (though I have not watched the special features
    included on the disc)... and after asking the simple question... "What do
    YOU think of BIG FISH?"... I can now tell you... I think it is a wonderful
    film...

    One of you asked why I would buy a film I had never seen... at my local
    video store, I have gotten to know the people who work there... one of the
    clerks and I have talked about different films we like... as it turns out,
    we have similar tastes... when I came into the store yesterday he yells at
    me ,"BIG FISH came in!!!"... (what is he talking about???)... so he told me
    all about the film, though he did not spoil it for me...I remembered seeing
    a trailer for the film, but I didn't catch it at the time... later I heard
    some negative stuff, but I thought it might at least be interesting to watch
    because it is a Tim Burton film, and while all his films are not
    masterpieces, I pretty much like all his stuff... so I bought it on a
    recommendation... and I "googled" the reviews of the film to read... most
    were positive though some were negative

    I think you need to be my age (55) or at least have an old soul to
    appreciate the film... it is sentimental and silly and outrageous, but it is
    "real"... in the sense of we all have our stories to tell... and we hope
    someone is listening... really listening. I and my partner are now of an age
    where discussions about death, and friends that have passed, are becoming
    more frequent... it is a gently quiet and poignant film... the "fantasy" is
    just this man's embellishment of his life's story.

    The DVD itself is a beautiful transfer and the sound and color is
    glorious... for you old-timers (and old souls) I highly recommend this
    enchanting film.

    Lookingglass, Apr 29, 2004
  11. Lookingglass

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <Xns94D9E876B5A01youremailcom@68.1.17.6>,
    Jamal Chapultapec <> wrote:

    > I do it all the time!
    >
    > And I have no fucking idea why.
    >
    > But then I also tend to buy a lot of video games without renting them
    > first, either.

    Exactly. Why do people buy CD's without having heard them first? Sure,
    you might be a big fan of the artist, but that doesn't mean you're going
    to like the album. Imagine my disappointment when I bought Metallica's
    Load expecting a bone crushing metal album... I can barely put it into
    words how cheated I felt, but that's life. The same thing applies to
    DVD's. You might be a big fan of the lead actor or the director, but
    that doesn't mean you're going to like the movie. We buy what simply
    looks good to us. It's human nature.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Apr 29, 2004
  12. Re: a BIG FISH update...

    > I think you need to be my age (55) or at least have an old soul to
    > appreciate the film... it is sentimental and silly and outrageous, but
    > it is "real"... in the sense of we all have our stories to tell... and
    > we hope someone is listening... really listening. I and my partner are
    > now of an age where discussions about death, and friends that have
    > passed, are becoming more frequent... it is a gently quiet and
    > poignant film... the "fantasy" is just this man's embellishment of his
    > life's story.

    Glad to hear you liked the movie, and didn't regret picking it up!
    I've been waiting for this DVD since I saw the flick, and while there
    are some stumbling points, I thought it was an extremely touching film.
    It's amazing how the father never lost his romance for life, despite
    his struggles and eventual illness. Even if your life is boring,
    never let yourself see it that way. :)

    > The DVD itself is a beautiful transfer and the sound and color is
    > glorious... for you old-timers (and old souls) I highly recommend this
    > enchanting film.

    Glad to hear it looks good. I've been saving my copy for the weekend,
    and I was curious about the compression-- it's a long movie with extras,
    all on one disc.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 29, 2004
  13. Lookingglass

    Mark B. Guest

    Re: a BIG FISH update...

    > Well... after reading some reviews of BIG FISH before I settled in to

    watch
    > this movie with my partner (though I have not watched the special features
    > included on the disc)... and after asking the simple question... "What do
    > YOU think of BIG FISH?"... I can now tell you... I think it is a wonderful
    > film...
    >
    > One of you asked why I would buy a film I had never seen... at my local
    > video store, I have gotten to know the people who work there... one of the
    > clerks and I have talked about different films we like... as it turns out,
    > we have similar tastes... when I came into the store yesterday he yells at
    > me ,"BIG FISH came in!!!"... (what is he talking about???)... so he told

    me
    > all about the film, though he did not spoil it for me...I remembered

    seeing
    > a trailer for the film, but I didn't catch it at the time... later I heard
    > some negative stuff, but I thought it might at least be interesting to

    watch
    > because it is a Tim Burton film, and while all his films are not
    > masterpieces, I pretty much like all his stuff... so I bought it on a
    > recommendation... and I "googled" the reviews of the film to read... most
    > were positive though some were negative
    >
    > I think you need to be my age (55) or at least have an old soul to
    > appreciate the film... it is sentimental and silly and outrageous, but it

    is
    > "real"... in the sense of we all have our stories to tell... and we hope
    > someone is listening... really listening. I and my partner are now of an

    age
    > where discussions about death, and friends that have passed, are becoming
    > more frequent... it is a gently quiet and poignant film... the "fantasy"

    is
    > just this man's embellishment of his life's story.
    >
    > The DVD itself is a beautiful transfer and the sound and color is
    > glorious... for you old-timers (and old souls) I highly recommend this
    > enchanting film.

    Understandable. Even if my wife & I had not seen the trailer, we would have
    gone to see it being huge fans of Ewan McGregor (no not just because of Star
    Wars). It's a teriffic film even for 'youngin's' (we're in our
    mid-thirties).

    Mark
    Mark B., Apr 29, 2004
  14. Lookingglass

    Tad Bitt Guest

    "Black Locust" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns94D9E876B5A01youremailcom@68.1.17.6>,
    > Jamal Chapultapec <> wrote:
    >
    > > I do it all the time!
    > >
    > > And I have no fucking idea why.
    > >
    > > But then I also tend to buy a lot of video games without renting them
    > > first, either.

    > Exactly. Why do people buy CD's without having heard them first? Sure,
    > you might be a big fan of the artist, but that doesn't mean you're going
    > to like the album. Imagine my disappointment when I bought Metallica's
    > Load expecting a bone crushing metal album... I can barely put it into
    > words how cheated I felt, but that's life. The same thing applies to
    > DVD's. You might be a big fan of the lead actor or the director, but
    > that doesn't mean you're going to like the movie. We buy what simply
    > looks good to us. It's human nature.
    > --
    > BL

    Tim Burton has directors some excellent and lame films. I haven't seen BiG
    Fish so I wouldn't buy the dvd until I see it. It looks great considering
    the cast, the original story, the fact that Tim Burton's art direction style
    will lend greatly to the vision the producers have is also a big plus; the
    biggest plus here. I suggest you rent the movie before buying it. You could
    also buy it and return it telling them it's defective and you would like a
    different title. If they say no, just tell them it's the second defective
    copy you have had and that you think your machine just won't play this
    particular title. I have no problems about doing this since the
    entertainment industry scams and reams us all the time. If the clerk still
    manages to say no, cut off his pinky finger..(resevoir dogs ref) no, ask for
    the manager. Talk about how you are a regular customer and that you never
    fail to pick up most of the new releases there etc..IF he or she ultimately
    says "can't do" then tell them that you intend to call the head office
    etc..If that doesn't work, there is always the used dvd shops..
    Tad Bitt, Apr 29, 2004
  15. Lookingglass

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    > I guess the question was too hard for some of you... maybe if I re-state

    the
    > question in "simpler" words... What do YOU think of the film/DVD... when

    > watch the film tonight, I will have my own opinion.

    Yeah, *that's* going to get you some quality responses. ;)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 29, 2004
  16. Lookingglass

    Justin Guest

    Re: a BIG FISH update...

    Lookingglass wrote on [Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:30:31 GMT]:
    > Well... after reading some reviews of BIG FISH before I settled in to watch
    > this movie with my partner

    OK, so why did you buy the movie and then read reviews?

    You can't watch the movie and enjoy it or hate it unless you've already
    read other people's opinions so yours are clouded by theirs? Or do you
    want to have "the right" opinion about the movie before you watch it?
    Justin, Apr 29, 2004
  17. Lookingglass

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "RnR Lesnar" <> wrote in message news:<c6orvt$mr7$>...
    > To me, its one of the worse movies ever in regards to entertainment value.
    > The story was just too weird for me. If you want a good father son movie,
    > watch Frequency.

    Frequency was good, but Big Fish works on so many different levels...
    plus I found the ending to be so incredibly sad...

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Apr 29, 2004
  18. Lookingglass

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I don't get this - why would anyone purchase a film they've never seen?

    I hadn't seen it before I bought it. I had heard good things, meant to
    see it in the theater but was never able to go before it was gone...

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Apr 29, 2004
  19. (Jordan Lund) wrote in

    > Frequency was good, but Big Fish works on so many different levels...
    > plus I found the ending to be so incredibly sad...

    Sad? Well, it did push for a few tears, but there was a real
    sense of the beauty of this man's life, and who he touched. I'd
    call it more "bittersweet".

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 29, 2004
  20. "Tad Bitt" <> wrote in

    You could also buy it and return it telling
    > them it's defective and you would like a different title. If they say
    > no, just tell them it's the second defective copy you have had and
    > that you think your machine just won't play this particular title. I
    > have no problems about doing this since the entertainment industry
    > scams and reams us all the time.

    That makes no sense. By doing that, you're not hurting the entertianment
    industry, you're hurting the retail store. Why not direct your action
    toward the party you feel wronged by?

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com