Big Computer Problem, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard Gallen, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I have a 2 year old Dell Dimension 8100 with Windows Millennium Edition.
    Recently I've been having problems installing software or upgrading windows
    or any programs really. After restarting like instructed, the black 'boot
    up' screen (I don't know the exact terminology, sorry!) says 'please wait
    while upgrading your files'.

    Then it says 'could not upgrade file %1 from %2' and this then repeats
    depending on the number of upgrades I have tried to carry out, I think. Then
    it will go to the password input screen and desktop.

    Initially I ignored this problem as the upgrade problems didn't seem to
    affect my computer, which was very stupid, nip it in the bud and all that.
    However a couple of weeks ago I bought a game which informed me I needed the
    latest graphics card drivers so I downloaded these from Nvidia and installed
    them, only to have the aforementioned 'could not upgrade' message. I then
    downloaded the latest windows upgrades and installed them and everything
    went wrong.

    The 'could not upgrade' message was there, it went into safe mode several
    times and now my computer is slow, stuck in the lowest 640 by 480 resolution
    which refuses to change and I can't see any icons when I open the Settings
    window or open the Hard Drive window.

    System restore won't work and I've been on the Dell helpline several times
    to no avail. I really have no idea what to do and I've never had to
    re-install windows so I don't know if this would help but I was wondering if
    anyone (who has the stamina to read this all!) has any ideas at all that may
    help me.

    Any suggestions are welcome!

    Thanks for reading,

    Richard
    Richard Gallen, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Richard Gallen

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Richard Gallen said:

    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I have a 2 year old Dell Dimension 8100 with Windows Millennium Edition.
    > Recently I've been having problems installing software or upgrading windows
    > or any programs really. After restarting like instructed, the black 'boot
    > up' screen (I don't know the exact terminology, sorry!) says 'please wait
    > while upgrading your files'.
    >
    > Then it says 'could not upgrade file %1 from %2' and this then repeats
    > depending on the number of upgrades I have tried to carry out, I think. Then
    > it will go to the password input screen and desktop.
    >
    > Initially I ignored this problem as the upgrade problems didn't seem to
    > affect my computer, which was very stupid, nip it in the bud and all that.
    > However a couple of weeks ago I bought a game which informed me I needed the
    > latest graphics card drivers so I downloaded these from Nvidia and installed
    > them, only to have the aforementioned 'could not upgrade' message. I then
    > downloaded the latest windows upgrades and installed them and everything
    > went wrong.
    >
    > The 'could not upgrade' message was there, it went into safe mode several
    > times and now my computer is slow, stuck in the lowest 640 by 480 resolution
    > which refuses to change and I can't see any icons when I open the Settings
    > window or open the Hard Drive window.
    >
    > System restore won't work and I've been on the Dell helpline several times
    > to no avail. I really have no idea what to do and I've never had to
    > re-install windows so I don't know if this would help but I was wondering if
    > anyone (who has the stamina to read this all!) has any ideas at all that may
    > help me.
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcome!
    >
    > Thanks for reading,
    >
    > Richard

    If you are in a position to wipe your drive and start afresh, then that would be
    _a_ solution.
    As soon as you have installed the OS, firewall and anti-virus, do your Windows
    Updates.
    Do the updates one at a time, even though you will/may need to reboot each time.
    Is there any way you can go back to 98se or upgrade to 2000, as WinME is most
    unstable platform there is?
    Brian H¹©, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Richard Gallen

    Harrison Guest

    Richard,there are two possible causes.

    Your Wininit.ini file may have a bad entry.

    Boot up with the WinMe Startup Disk
    Select: Minimal
    At the DOS prompt
    Type the following lines and press ENTER after each

    C:
    CD\WINDOWS
    REN WININIT.INI WININIT.BAK

    Remove the bootdisk and reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
    ______________________
    Also, if you are running Norton System Works 2000, please read this.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q290664

    Let us know how it turns out.

    Harrison, Oct 3, 2003
  4. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Richard Gallen said:
    >
    > > Hi Everyone,
    > >
    > > I have a 2 year old Dell Dimension 8100 with Windows Millennium Edition.
    > > Recently I've been having problems installing software or upgrading

    windows
    > > or any programs really. After restarting like instructed, the black

    'boot
    > > up' screen (I don't know the exact terminology, sorry!) says 'please

    wait
    > > while upgrading your files'.
    > >
    > > Then it says 'could not upgrade file %1 from %2' and this then repeats
    > > depending on the number of upgrades I have tried to carry out, I think.

    Then
    > > it will go to the password input screen and desktop.
    > >
    > > Initially I ignored this problem as the upgrade problems didn't seem to
    > > affect my computer, which was very stupid, nip it in the bud and all

    that.
    > > However a couple of weeks ago I bought a game which informed me I needed

    the
    > > latest graphics card drivers so I downloaded these from Nvidia and

    installed
    > > them, only to have the aforementioned 'could not upgrade' message. I

    then
    > > downloaded the latest windows upgrades and installed them and everything
    > > went wrong.
    > >
    > > The 'could not upgrade' message was there, it went into safe mode

    several
    > > times and now my computer is slow, stuck in the lowest 640 by 480

    resolution
    > > which refuses to change and I can't see any icons when I open the

    Settings
    > > window or open the Hard Drive window.
    > >
    > > System restore won't work and I've been on the Dell helpline several

    times
    > > to no avail. I really have no idea what to do and I've never had to
    > > re-install windows so I don't know if this would help but I was

    wondering if
    > > anyone (who has the stamina to read this all!) has any ideas at all that

    may
    > > help me.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions are welcome!
    > >
    > > Thanks for reading,
    > >
    > > Richard

    > If you are in a position to wipe your drive and start afresh, then that

    would be
    > _a_ solution.
    > As soon as you have installed the OS, firewall and anti-virus, do your

    Windows
    > Updates.
    > Do the updates one at a time, even though you will/may need to reboot each

    time.
    > Is there any way you can go back to 98se or upgrade to 2000, as WinME is

    most
    > unstable platform there is?

    Windows ME was pre-installed when I got the computer so it's the only OS I
    have, unfortunately, because it is awful.

    I think I may have to scrub everything and start again but because I've
    never done anything like that I'm a bit apprehensive and I would have to
    copy all my files so it's something I will do as a last resort.

    Of course if anyone knows an easier way to solve my problem then I would
    love to hear it!
    Richard Gallen, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Richard Gallen

    Harrison Guest

    I just posted that very thing a few minutes ago.
    here it is again.

    Harrison, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Richard Gallen

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Richard Gallen said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Richard Gallen said:
    >>
    >>> Hi Everyone,

    (snip)

    >>> Any suggestions are welcome!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for reading,
    >>>
    >>> Richard

    >> If you are in a position to wipe your drive and start afresh, then that
    >> would be _a_ solution.
    >> As soon as you have installed the OS, firewall and anti-virus, do your
    >> Windows Updates.
    >> Do the updates one at a time, even though you will/may need to reboot each
    >> time. Is there any way you can go back to 98se or upgrade to 2000, as WinME
    >> is most unstable platform there is?
    >>

    > Windows ME was pre-installed when I got the computer so it's the only OS I
    > have, unfortunately, because it is awful.
    >
    > I think I may have to scrub everything and start again but because I've
    > never done anything like that I'm a bit apprehensive and I would have to
    > copy all my files so it's something I will do as a last resort.
    >
    > Of course if anyone knows an easier way to solve my problem then I would
    > love to hear it!

    I can't recall if you can remove the MS Updates from Add/Remove under WinME, if
    you can, try that first.
    Reboot and run a reg cleaner.
    Reboot and go through the Windows Updates again (one at a time, and rebooting
    between each update).
    Brian H¹©, Oct 3, 2003
  7. Richard Gallen

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Harrison said:

    > I just posted that very thing a few minutes ago.
    > here it is again.

    Then why repost the same thing in the same thread within a couple of minutes,
    for christ sake give someone a chance to read something first.

    > Richard,there are two possible causes.
    >
    > Your Wininit.ini file may have a bad entry.
    >
    > Boot up with the WinMe Startup Disk
    > Select: Minimal
    > At the DOS prompt
    > Type the following lines and press ENTER after each
    >
    > C:
    > CD\WINDOWS
    > REN WININIT.INI WININIT.BAK

    Wininit.ini ? Don't you mean Win.ini ?

    Brian H¹©, Oct 3, 2003
  8. Richard Gallen

    °Mike° Guest

    Error Message Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2 %1 %2

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:49:24 +0000 (UTC), in
    <blk5q3$7fh$>
    Richard Gallen scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 3, 2003
  9. Richard Gallen

    Billh Guest

    Why back when I had Windows ME I had trouble installing some stuff and it
    turned out Norton's had made tens of thousands of zero bit .inf files once I
    deleted them all was ok.

    If you need to reinstall windows look in the root of your c drive and see if
    you have a file called zztop it might be hidden so you will have to turn on
    show hidden files. Anyway if you boot from a start disk and run that
    program it will restore the computer the way it came from the factory. I
    did it once and it worked. Of course you need to back up everything you
    want to keep as far as data files or settings and get ready to reinstall
    anything you installed after you got the computer.

    Billh, Oct 4, 2003