BIG codec problem Win2k

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nathan, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    Spokje wrote:

    > I use windows 2000 sp4 fully updated forgot to add it in the original
    > message. Use Kaspersky personal pro as virusscanner.
    >
    > Spokje wrote:
    > > Hello People,
    > >
    > > I got a big problem with codecs in windows:
    > >
    > > When i start a divx or xvid or any movie (including wmv etc.) it only
    > > has vision; no sound. I was like: "ahww, that's a codec problem" so i
    > > installed a few codecs, and the install works, but it seems windows
    > > media player or any other program (i tried BSplayer / windvd / wmp 6.4 /
    > > wmp 9) still can't figure out that i HAVE installed the codecs on my
    > > system. When i check the codecs installed with a program like Gspot it
    > > says that i have all the needed codecs on my system.
    > >
    > > But everytime when i start a movie with WMP it tries to download and
    > > install codecs (comes up with windows of "do u want to install this
    > > codec blabla etc, and when i choose 'yes' it comes up with a window of
    > > 'could not find a decompressor for this movie' and i only get the vision.
    > >
    > > What i tried:
    > > -installed thousands of codecs (also tried codecs pack)
    > > -tried the ACE codec pack which has an
    > > 'hard-uninstall-any-other-codecs-find-on-system-utility'
    > > -reinstalled my soundcard.
    > > -uninstalled all the codecs found @ sounds and multimedia in control
    > > panel (hardware tab).
    > > -Tried a few other sound codec packs ;)
    > > -uninstalled those..
    > > -and so on..
    > >
    > > I'm desperate,
    > > Please someone help me, i do not want to format my system.
    > >
    > > Btw, all this started because i downloaded a movie which had choppy
    > > playback (in the vision, audio was OK), so i deinstalled xvid, with same
    > > results, so i uninstalled all the codecs on my system.(included the
    > > sound codecs) Then it worked great for a while untill i rebooted my
    > > system.....
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance :)
    > >
    > > Spokje

    Ok People repeat after me, anything from Microsoft sux...
    Now go to www.divx.com and download the Divx Player
    Keep in mind that it does NOT play MP3's only movie files

    Nathan, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Nathan

    Dr. Bill Guest

    Spokje wrote:
    > Hello People,
    >
    > I got a big problem with codecs in windows:
    >
    > When i start a divx or xvid or any movie (including wmv etc.) it only
    > has vision; no sound. I was like: "ahww, that's a codec problem" so i
    > installed a few codecs, and the install works, but it seems windows
    > media player or any other program (i tried BSplayer / windvd / wmp
    > 6.4 / wmp 9) still can't figure out that i HAVE installed the
    > codecs on my system. When i check the codecs installed with a program
    > like Gspot it says that i have all the needed codecs on my system.
    >
    > But everytime when i start a movie with WMP it tries to download and
    > install codecs (comes up with windows of "do u want to install this
    > codec blabla etc, and when i choose 'yes' it comes up with a window of
    > 'could not find a decompressor for this movie' and i only get the
    > vision.
    >
    > What i tried:
    > -installed thousands of codecs (also tried codecs pack)
    > -tried the ACE codec pack which has an
    > 'hard-uninstall-any-other-codecs-find-on-system-utility'
    > -reinstalled my soundcard.
    > -uninstalled all the codecs found @ sounds and multimedia in control
    > panel (hardware tab).
    > -Tried a few other sound codec packs ;)
    > -uninstalled those..
    > -and so on..
    >
    > I'm desperate,
    > Please someone help me, i do not want to format my system.
    >
    > Btw, all this started because i downloaded a movie which had choppy
    > playback (in the vision, audio was OK), so i deinstalled xvid, with
    > same results, so i uninstalled all the codecs on my system.(included
    > the sound codecs) Then it worked great for a while untill i rebooted
    > my system.....
    >
    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    > Spokje

    Did you proces that movie on another computer ? (neighbour / friend). Sounds
    like a hardware issue to me, install the latest drivers for your videocard.

    Dr. Bill, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Nathan

    John Holmes Guest

    Spokje came up with this:

    /
    > wmp 9) still can't figure out that i HAVE installed the codecs on my
    > system. When i check the codecs installed with a program like Gspot it
    > says that i have all the needed codecs on my system.
    >
    > But everytime when i start a movie with WMP it tries to download and
    > install codecs (comes up with windows of "do u want to install this
    > codec blabla etc, and when i choose 'yes' it comes up with a window of
    > 'could not find a decompressor for this movie' and i only get the

    vision.

    > What i tried:
    > -installed thousands of codecs (also tried codecs pack)
    > -tried the ACE codec pack which has an
    > 'hard-uninstall-any-other-codecs-find-on-system-utility'
    > -reinstalled my soundcard.
    > -uninstalled all the codecs found @ sounds and multimedia in control
    > panel (hardware tab).
    > -Tried a few other sound codec packs ;)
    > -uninstalled those..
    > -and so on..
    >
    > I'm desperate,
    > Please someone help me, i do not want to format my system.
    >
    > Btw, all this started because i downloaded a movie which had choppy
    > playback (in the vision, audio was OK), so i deinstalled xvid, with

    same
    > results, so i uninstalled all the codecs on my system.(included the
    > sound codecs) Then it worked great for a while untill i rebooted my
    > system.....
    >
    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    > Spokje

    Since you are posting from the future, I'll can only be of any help in
    the future.
    <asides, does your mother know you're watching porn movies on your PC?>

    --
    -John Holmes-

    John Holmes, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Nathan

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Hi
    Could you please adjust your Time Zone settings?
    You are posting in the future.Please follow the advice below. Don't just
    look at your clock then your watch and think there is nothing wrong with
    it,there is.

    1. Double click the time in the lower right corner of the system tray.
    2. In the dialog box that pops up select the *Time Zone* tab.
    3. Use the drop down menu to select the correct entry for "your" TIME ZONE
    4. Also, Check the box marked Daylight Savings Time.
    5. Then click OK to save it.

    Hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you with your question, but
    only if you correct your time settings.

    Further reading:
    http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html

    Thank You

    pcbutts1, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Nathan

    JM Guest

    Spokje wrote:

    > Hello People,
    >
    > I got a big problem with codecs in windows:
    >
    > When i start a divx or xvid or any movie (including wmv etc.) it only
    > has vision; no sound. I was like: "ahww, that's a codec problem" so i
    > installed a few codecs, and the install works, but it seems windows
    > media player or any other program (i tried BSplayer / windvd / wmp 6.4 /
    > wmp 9) still can't figure out that i HAVE installed the codecs on my
    > system. When i check the codecs installed with a program like Gspot it
    > says that i have all the needed codecs on my system.

    Gspot is free so nothing free is perfect. Did you check
    around to see if there is a Gspot message board for help ?

    Here is a message board for you to look at :

    http://www.moviecodec.com/mb/

    Here is the divx FAQ :

    http://www.divxmovies.com/faq/

    Are you using a beta version of Gspot ? You might look for
    a non beta or alpha version to see how it runs.

    > But everytime when i start a movie with WMP it tries to download and
    > install codecs (comes up with windows of "do u want to install this
    > codec blabla etc, and when i choose 'yes' it comes up with a window of
    > 'could not find a decompressor for this movie' and i only get the vision.

    Yes, my WMP has tried at least 20 times to download some
    codec and never installed anything. I'm using version 9.00
    also. If you really like WMP then search MS to see if you
    have the latest version of the player or reinstall the one
    you have. If you want to try something else then try Winamp
    5. It works better on my Win XP system for some reason.

    > What i tried:
    > -installed thousands of codecs (also tried codecs pack)
    > -tried the ACE codec pack which has an
    > 'hard-uninstall-any-other-codecs-find-on-system-utility'
    > -reinstalled my soundcard.
    > -uninstalled all the codecs found @ sounds and multimedia in control
    > panel (hardware tab).
    > -Tried a few other sound codec packs ;)
    > -uninstalled those..
    > -and so on..
    >
    > I'm desperate,
    > Please someone help me, i do not want to format my system.

    You might want to try RegSupreme to clean the registry after
    you uninstall all the codecs. Then reinstall them again one
    at a time. Rebooting your system between each one. The
    codecs might have left stray pieces of themselves and could
    be interferring with each other.

    > Btw, all this started because i downloaded a movie which had choppy
    > playback (in the vision, audio was OK), so i deinstalled xvid, with same
    > results, so i uninstalled all the codecs on my system.(included the
    > sound codecs) Then it worked great for a while untill i rebooted my
    > system.....

    Yeah, I hate rebooting sometimes when my system is purring
    perfectly. *smile

    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    > Spokje

    JM

    --
    "Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear
    kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor

    JM, Mar 6, 2004
  6. Nathan

    Dr. Bill Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > Spokje came up with this:
    >
    >> Hello People,
    >>
    >> I got a big problem with codecs in windows:
    >>
    >> When i start a divx or xvid or any movie (including wmv etc.) it only
    >> has vision; no sound. I was like: "ahww, that's a codec problem" so i
    >> installed a few codecs, and the install works, but it seems windows
    >> media player or any other program (i tried BSplayer / windvd / wmp
    >> 6.4 / wmp 9) still can't figure out that i HAVE installed the
    >> codecs on my system. When i check the codecs installed with a
    >> program like Gspot it says that i have all the needed codecs on my
    >> system.
    >>
    >> But everytime when i start a movie with WMP it tries to download and
    >> install codecs (comes up with windows of "do u want to install this
    >> codec blabla etc, and when i choose 'yes' it comes up with a window
    >> of 'could not find a decompressor for this movie' and i only get the
    >> vision.
    >>
    >> What i tried:
    >> -installed thousands of codecs (also tried codecs pack)
    >> -tried the ACE codec pack which has an
    >> 'hard-uninstall-any-other-codecs-find-on-system-utility'
    >> -reinstalled my soundcard.
    >> -uninstalled all the codecs found @ sounds and multimedia in control
    >> panel (hardware tab).
    >> -Tried a few other sound codec packs ;)
    >> -uninstalled those..
    >> -and so on..
    >>
    >> I'm desperate,
    >> Please someone help me, i do not want to format my system.
    >>
    >> Btw, all this started because i downloaded a movie which had choppy
    >> playback (in the vision, audio was OK), so i deinstalled xvid, with
    >> same results, so i uninstalled all the codecs on my system.(included
    >> the sound codecs) Then it worked great for a while untill i rebooted
    >> my system.....
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance :)
    >>
    >> Spokje

    > Since you are posting from the future, I'll can only be of any help in
    > the future.
    > <asides, does your mother know you're watching porn movies on your
    > PC?>

    rofl ! Now AND in the future!!!

    Spokje, Mar 6, 2004
  8. Nathan