    I was thinking about the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO. The
    price is right at about $600.

    Has anyone used this lens with the D70? What do you think?

    Hope_no, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Hope_no

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Hope_no

    >I was thinking about the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO. The
    >price is right at about $600.
    >
    >Has anyone used this lens with the D70? What do you think?

    They go together like a turd and a toilet.

    Annika1980, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Hope_no

    Mark M Guest

    "Hope_no" <> wrote in message
    > I am thinking about trying to do some wildlife shots. My 300mm is just
    > not long enough.
    >
    > I would love to buy the big Nikon glass but just can not afford the cost.
    >
    > I don't think I can use a mirror lens because of the lack of auto focus
    > and the slow f-stop.
    >
    > I was thinking about the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO. The
    > price is right at about $600.
    >
    > Has anyone used this lens with the D70? What do you think?

    f6.3 is pretty slow for wildlife.
    Remember...that you'll likely spend most of your time at the long 500mm end
    (so you're looking at that 6.3 max aperture most of the time...).

    Mark M, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Hope_no

    DM Guest

    Hope_no <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I was thinking about the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO. The
    > price is right at about $600.
    >
    > Has anyone used this lens with the D70? What do you think?

    This lens is mediocre at best. f/6.3 at the long end doesn't help.
    At least it is better than the godawful tamron 200-400 I once used.

    DM, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Hope_no

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    (DM) writes:

    > Hope_no <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > I was thinking about the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO. The
    > > price is right at about $600.
    > >
    > > Has anyone used this lens with the D70? What do you think?

    > This lens is mediocre at best. f/6.3 at the long end doesn't help.
    > At least it is better than the godawful tamron 200-400 I once used.

    What about a secondhand 300 f/4 AF?

    Bruce Murphy, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Hope_no

    Ryadia Guest

    Hope_no wrote:
    > I am thinking about trying to do some wildlife shots. My 300mm is just
    > not long enough.
    >
    > I would love to buy the big Nikon glass but just can not afford the cost.
    >
    > I don't think I can use a mirror lens because of the lack of auto focus
    > and the slow f-stop.
    >
    > I was thinking about the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO. The
    > price is right at about $600.
    >
    > Has anyone used this lens with the D70? What do you think?

    I used a 120~300 f2.8 Sigma sometimes with a Kenco 2x multiplier on my
    10D. You simply can't get that much reach with that much quality for
    under $5k in Canon land, Don't know about Nikon's ville but I do know
    that the 120~300 is one of the rare lenses Sigma make that really does
    go head to head with "L" series glass. It might even come close to Nikon
    stuff (some of it, any way).

    I now have a 100~300 APO f4 Sigma lens I bought after selling a 70~200
    f2.8 Canon lens with my 10D. The performance of this lens on my new 20D
    is equal to the Canon with a 1.4 extender in everything except focus
    speed. Even then, it's only a tad slower. See an example here.
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/ryadia/20D.html

    If you are looking for 500mm, don't got to the Sigma you have in mind.
    For one rare moment in Bret's (Annika1980)life, he had something topical
    to say. The lens lacks all the things a DSLR needs. In particular,
    brightness. If you really cannot (and who can) afford a 500mm prime
    lens, or a Nikon zoom in that range, go the 120~300 f2.8 Sigma and a 1.4
    or 2x extender. No one will ever know!
    Ryadia

    Ryadia, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Hope_no

    Arthur Small Guest

    How about the Sigma 70-200 HSM f2.8 with the 2X extender?

    Arthur Small, Oct 19, 2004
  8. Hope_no

    Robert Barr Guest

    Hope_no wrote:

    > I am thinking about trying to do some wildlife shots. My 300mm is just
    > not long enough.

    .... so the 'cheep' glass is for photographing baby waterfowl?

    Robert Barr, Oct 19, 2004
  9. Hope_no

    Ryadia Guest

    Arthur Small wrote:
    > How about the Sigma 70-200 HSM f2.8 with the 2X extender?

    Same problem as with all extended lenses.

    Ryadia, Oct 19, 2004
  10. Hope_no

    Big Bill Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:17:25 -0500, Hope_no
    <> wrote:

    >I am thinking about trying to do some wildlife shots. My 300mm is just
    >not long enough.
    >
    >I would love to buy the big Nikon glass but just can not afford the cost.
    >
    >I don't think I can use a mirror lens because of the lack of auto focus
    >and the slow f-stop.
    >
    >I was thinking about the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO. The
    >price is right at about $600.
    >
    >Has anyone used this lens with the D70? What do you think?

    I've not tried this myself, but you might look into a spotting scope
    and converter.
    Probably not bright enough, though.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 19, 2004
  11. Hope_no

    Mark M Guest

    "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:17:25 -0500, Hope_no
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I am thinking about trying to do some wildlife shots. My 300mm is just
    > >not long enough.
    > >
    > >I would love to buy the big Nikon glass but just can not afford the cost.
    > >
    > >I don't think I can use a mirror lens because of the lack of auto focus
    > >and the slow f-stop.
    > >
    > >I was thinking about the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO. The
    > >price is right at about $600.
    > >
    > >Has anyone used this lens with the D70? What do you think?

    > I've not tried this myself, but you might look into a spotting scope
    > and converter.
    > Probably not bright enough, though.

    I think that would likely be even worse than a mirror lens...

    Mark M, Oct 20, 2004