BIG BIRDS "FLOCK" TO THE 20D !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Annika1980

    Rick Guest

    Rick, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Annika1980

    Matt Ion Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > How many can you count in this pic?

    Depends on what you define as a "big" bird. I don't see any
    seven-foot-tall, yellow, talking, upright-walking avians in there...

    I did spot a snuffalufagus behind one of the trees though!

    Matt Ion, Jan 8, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    (Annika1980) wrote:

    > How many can you count in this pic?

    I can't pinpoint exactly why, but I love that picture... despite all
    those annoying birds getting in the way of the great landscape ;-)

    I particularly like the multiple "layers" of receding trees in the top
    left corner. Great material to work with.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jan 8, 2005
  5. "Annika1980" <> wrote in news:1105163713.022661.99990
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > How many can you count in this pic?

    Nice!

    It has an extremely nice hazy feeling. I think that even the most
    fanatic film fan will find this picture to have some qualities :)

    The question i snow. I plan to buy a Pentax *istDS. Should I
    skip that and get a D20 instead? Life is full of har decisions.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jan 8, 2005
  6. Roland Karlsson wrote:
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in
    > news:1105163713.022661.99990 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> How many can you count in this pic?
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/38397174/original

    > Nice!
    >
    > It has an extremely nice hazy feeling. I think that even the most
    > fanatic film fan will find this picture to have some qualities :)

    I agree, it's almost like looking at a painting. I really like it.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 8, 2005
  7. Brian C. Baird, Jan 8, 2005
  8. In article <Xns95D891DAD71D7klotjohan@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > The question i snow. I plan to buy a Pentax *istDS. Should I
    > skip that and get a D20 instead? Life is full of har decisions.

    Well, if you've got a lot of Pentax glass you're happy with, the *istDs
    is just as good as any of the other 6 MP dSLRs. However, the 20D is
    really in a class by itself right now with the low noise performance,
    excellent autofocus and build quality. If you don't mind making a
    format switch and have the money to burn, I'd say go for it.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Jan 8, 2005
  9. Annika1980

    Hugh Jorgan Guest

    Hugh Jorgan, Jan 8, 2005
  10. I'd ask for my money back. The photo is just not that sharp. It would be
    hard to identify the birds if you hadn't titled the photo.

    Toomanyputters, Jan 8, 2005
  11. Annika1980

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Brian C. Baird <> wrote:

    >Well, if you've got a lot of Pentax glass you're happy with, the *istDs
    >is just as good as any of the other 6 MP dSLRs. However, the 20D is
    >really in a class by itself right now with the low noise performance,
    >excellent autofocus and build quality.

    It also makes a break from its predecessors in that it has a less
    aggressive anti-aliasing filter, which has its good points and its bad
    points. With a sharp lens, it will resolve a black/white edge in two
    pixels (three inclusive): black - grey - white, as opposed to the 10D
    which neads 3 pixels (4 inclusive): black - dark grey - light grey -
    white. This can cause stronger color aliasing that is visible in some
    rare conditions, but also gives more pixel-to-pixel contrast that cuts
    through the noise better, and sharpens more easily without haloing.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 8, 2005
  12. Annika1980

    Matt Ion Guest

    Matt Ion, Jan 8, 2005
  13. Annika1980

    Frank ess Guest

    > Eleventy-four.
    >
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How many can you count in this pic?
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/38397174/original

    Pretty clear your eponym doesn't refer to your (probably single, in the
    middle of what should be your forehead) eye: there's *exactly* the same
    number of birds as daily wasted KBs in the "HORRIFIC" thread.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 8, 2005
  14. eric phillips, Jan 8, 2005
  15. Annika1980

    Colin D Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:

    > How many can you count in this pic?

    I said it in r.p.e.35mm, and I'll say it again. I love that shot, and I
    would put it on my wall in a heartbeat. Can I get the original RAW file
    please? (Hint: you could make some cash outta this shot)

    Colin.

    Colin D, Jan 8, 2005
  16. Annika1980

    Jer Guest

    Jer, Jan 8, 2005
  17. Annika1980

    Frank Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:26:33 GMT, "Toomanyputters"
    <> wrote:

    >I'd ask for my money back. The photo is just not that sharp. It would be
    >hard to identify the birds if you hadn't titled the photo.
    >
    >> "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> How many can you count in this pic?
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/38397174/original

    A perfect example of the dichotomy that exists in this group. On one
    hand we have the guys that USE their equipment to get great images of
    things that exist in their world. Bret is one of this group.

    On the other hand, we have the guys who dream in terms of megapixels
    and have fantasies of Foveon and Bayer and probably never made a
    picture in their lives unless of a test pattern. Confront one of these
    guys with a fantabulous image like the flock of cranes and the only
    comment he can come up with is "The photo is just not that sharp." In
    poor, failing light with rapidly flying birds, of course it ain't
    sharp. But it sure does convey the scene to the eye and mind of a
    viewer who can see more than megapixels!

    Frank, Jan 8, 2005
  18. Annika1980

    MaryL Guest

    "Toomanyputters" <> wrote in message
    > I'd ask for my money back. The photo is just not that sharp. It would be
    > hard to identify the birds if you hadn't titled the photo.
    >
    > "Hugh Jorgan" <> wrote in message
    >> Eleventy-four.
    >>
    >> "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> How many can you count in this pic?
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/38397174/original

    I think it's a marvellous photo -- lots of atmosphere and a great sense of
    distance in the background. However, I wouldn't even attempt to count the
    birds -- it would soon be my eyes that would be "not that sharp."

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jan 8, 2005
  19. Annika1980

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Frank <> wrote:

    >A perfect example of the dichotomy that exists in this group.

    The dichotomy is in your head. There are all kinds of people here.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 8, 2005
  20. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Frank

    >>I'd ask for my money back. The photo is just not that sharp. It would be
    >>hard to identify the birds if you hadn't titled the photo.

    >Confront one of these
    >guys with a fantabulous image like the flock of cranes and the only
    >comment he can come up with is "The photo is just not that sharp." In
    >poor, failing light with rapidly flying birds, of course it ain't
    >sharp.

    Not to mention the fact that it was taken from over 500 yards away through haze
    with the 400mm + the 2X.

    The original shot looked like this:
    http://members.aol.com/annika1980/haze.jpg

    Annika1980, Jan 9, 2005