Bicycling camera recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rick, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I would like to buy a camera for week long bicycle touring and would
    be grateful for advice on which one to buy.

    My requirements.

    1. Must have a viewfinder.
    2. 3 or 4 megapixels is probably fine for me.
    3. Replaceable batteries is a big plus. I would much prefer to NOT
    carry a charger.
    4. Small size. Able to fit in my back shirt pocket, so flatter is
    better than thinner. ( Us bicyclists frequently where these shirts
    that have pockets in the back so that when you lean over, you don't
    crush the banana you put there )
    5. Water resistant would be nice, but I can also keep the camera in a
    ziplock sandwich bag.
    6. SD card memory is preferable, because I have a bunch of other
    devices that use SD and micro SD.

    Thanks
    Rick, Aug 22, 2007

  2. Rick

    Guest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I would like to buy a camera for week long bicycle touring and would
    > be grateful for advice on which one to buy.

    If you haven't already looked, I would suggest checking the archives of
    the Bicycle Touring Mailing List, since this topic comes up a few times
    a year.

    Other than resolution and memory type, my ancient Canon A40 meets your
    requirements. Their newer models have switched to SD but still take AA
    batteries, e.g. http://tinyurl.com/ytgdxr

    If you didn't want the optical viewfinder, I'd suggest the Pentax Optio
    W30, http://tinyurl.com/3brs6y, my wife has one and it's a great
    vacation camera, genuinely waterproof, you can use it underwater, and
    it's very flat with a lens that does not project when zooming.
    Definitely does not get snagged in jersey pockets. But no optical
    viewfinder, just a big LCD screen.

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    Guest, Aug 22, 2007

  3. Rick

    Chris W Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > 3. Replaceable batteries is a big plus. I would much prefer to NOT
    > carry a charger.

    I would look for something that uses AA batteries. However do not even
    think about using alkaline batteries, the camera will drain them very
    fast. Get a few set of rechargeable NiMH batteries. With a good camera
    a set of NiMH cells will last a fairly long time if you don't use the
    flash or LCD much and then you can recharge them when you get home. AA
    NiMH are so common you can probably find someone who can charge them for
    you unless you are completely in the middle of nowhere. I think the
    cannon power shot line use AA and have a pretty good battery life. They
    will be a little bigger than models that use Lithium batteries.

    > 4. Small size. Able to fit in my back shirt pocket, so flatter is
    > better than thinner.

    I have to ask how flatter can be better than thinner? Far as I know,
    flatter is thinner.

    --
    Chris W
    KE5GIX

    "Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
    learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

    Gift Giving Made Easy
    Get the gifts you want &
    give the gifts they want
    One stop wish list for any gift,
    from anywhere, for any occasion!
    http://thewishzone.com
    Chris W, Aug 22, 2007
  4. Rick

    Stimp Guest

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 Rick <> wrote:
    > I would like to buy a camera for week long bicycle touring and would
    > be grateful for advice on which one to buy.
    >
    > My requirements.

    Canon IXUS should do the trick? I have a 750 that has taken some great
    shots.

    Viewfinder is a bit small though... maybe a Canon Powershot is more up
    your alley

    --

    fiddlewidawiddum
    Stimp, Aug 22, 2007
  5. Rick

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Chris W wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> 3. Replaceable batteries is a big plus. I would much prefer to NOT
    >> carry a charger.

    > I would look for something that uses AA batteries. However do not even
    > think about using alkaline batteries, the camera will drain them very
    > fast. Get a few set of rechargeable NiMH batteries. With a good camera
    > a set of NiMH cells will last a fairly long time if you don't use the
    > flash or LCD much and then you can recharge them when you get home. AA
    > NiMH are so common you can probably find someone who can charge them for
    > you unless you are completely in the middle of nowhere. I think the
    > cannon power shot line use AA and have a pretty good battery life. They
    > will be a little bigger than models that use Lithium batteries.
    >

    >> 4. Small size. Able to fit in my back shirt pocket, so flatter is
    >> better than thinner.

    > I have to ask how flatter can be better than thinner? Far as I know,
    > flatter is thinner.

    While I would also go along with using NiMH, in something like the
    current canon A series, alkalines do much better than in earlier higher
    drain models and are fine to use if your NiMH's are run down.
    For intermittent use, the new eneloop is a good choice.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Aug 22, 2007
  6. Rick

    Bob S Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > I would like to buy a camera for week long bicycle touring and would
    > be grateful for advice on which one to buy.
    >
    > My requirements.
    >
    > 1. Must have a viewfinder.
    > 2. 3 or 4 megapixels is probably fine for me.
    > 3. Replaceable batteries is a big plus. I would much prefer to NOT
    > carry a charger.
    > 4. Small size. Able to fit in my back shirt pocket, so flatter is
    > better than thinner. ( Us bicyclists frequently where these shirts
    > that have pockets in the back so that when you lean over, you don't
    > crush the banana you put there )
    > 5. Water resistant would be nice, but I can also keep the camera in a
    > ziplock sandwich bag.
    > 6. SD card memory is preferable, because I have a bunch of other
    > devices that use SD and micro SD.
    >

    > Thanks

    Look at the Canon A570IS. It has an optical viewfinder and a 2.5" lcd
    display and 7.1 megapixels but most are in that category now. It uses
    2 AA cells and SD storage media. It has IS for sharper pix. My wife
    has one and it isn't as small as a Lithium Ion powered camera but not by
    much since it uses 2 cells. So far battery life has been a whole lot
    better than my old A40...... I payed a shade over $200......

    Bob
    Bob S, Aug 23, 2007
  7. Rick

    Pat Guest

    "Rick"--I am a cyclist and I use a Canon Powershot A710 is. It takes 2 AA
    batteries, so that gives it a small bulge. You put the camera in your back
    pocket and you can get a good grip on the bulge when you reach around to
    take the camera out. I knew a guy with a totally flat camera, and it
    slipped right out of his hands. Other people use older Canons like the 540,
    but that one takes 4 AA batteries, making it harder to get out of the
    pocket.

    Still, take a look at the A710is. I think you'll like it.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona710is/

    Pat in TX
    Pat, Aug 23, 2007
  8. Rick

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:44:06 -0600, Pat wrote:

    > "Rick"--I am a cyclist and I use a Canon Powershot A710 is.

    . . .

    > Other people use older Canons like the 540, but that one takes
    > 4 AA batteries, making it harder to get out of the pocket.

    Nope, the A5xx series Powershots take only two AA batteries. It's
    the A6xx series Powershots that use four.

    > Still, take a look at the A710is. I think you'll like it.

    Probably. And if you want to get off the bike to take a few shots
    while the heart's still pumping fast and you're breathing hard, the
    A710's IS would be missed if you had to use an A540 instead.
    ASAAR, Aug 23, 2007
  9. Rick

    SMS Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > I would like to buy a camera for week long bicycle touring and would
    > be grateful for advice on which one to buy.
    >
    > My requirements.
    >
    > 1. Must have a viewfinder.
    > 2. 3 or 4 megapixels is probably fine for me.
    > 3. Replaceable batteries is a big plus. I would much prefer to NOT
    > carry a charger.
    > 4. Small size. Able to fit in my back shirt pocket, so flatter is
    > better than thinner. ( Us bicyclists frequently where these shirts
    > that have pockets in the back so that when you lean over, you don't
    > crush the banana you put there )
    > 5. Water resistant would be nice, but I can also keep the camera in a
    > ziplock sandwich bag.
    > 6. SD card memory is preferable, because I have a bunch of other
    > devices that use SD and micro SD.

    I use my S500 for bicycle touring. The newer S series are even better,
    like the SD 800 IS. You don't have a lot of choices with an optical
    viewfinder, but it's a no-compromise feature IMVAIO.

    Don't worry about the batteries for a one week tour. The Li-Ion spare
    packs are very small and light, as well as very cheap. The SD800 is
    rated for 270 shots on one battery, but since you're likely to be doing
    mostly outdoor shots you'll get a lot more than that. The charger is
    also very small and light.

    Finding a fairly flat camera will not be possible on cameras that use AA
    batteries. If you're willing to give up the flatness, consider the A630.
    The articulating LCD is especially useful for outdoor activities.
    SMS, Aug 23, 2007