    Tim Brown
    Consultant
    Statera Southwest
    Tim Brown, Apr 22, 2008

  2. "Tim Brown" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I'm a SQL Server DBA/Developer type and would like to break into the BI
    > track. What kind of experiences have you folks had with the BI Bootcamps
    > that third-party training outfits offer?

    Seriously, Tim, if you're interested in breaking into 'BI', and you have the
    DBA/Dev experience, I'd suggest starting by looking for "data warehousing"
    applications that are improperly deployed in the Database Engine, and find
    ways to re-deploy them in Analysis Services using MDX queries.

    Along with that, you'll also want to study the use of SSIS for ETL tasks,
    and SSRS for reporting -- but IMO those are the two easy parts of the
    process. Grasping SSAS and MDX is what separates those who pass from those
    who don't.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Apr 30, 2008