    cheaper provider. FYI we're accepting only our providers' connected
    routes.

    Thanks in advance.
    Hamid, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Hamid

    Tim Thorne Guest

    (Hamid) wrote:

    >Hello;
    >
    >We currently are running BGP4 with two providers, and would like to
    >minimize usage with one of the providers as they are much more
    >expensive than the other.
    >
    >Please give me a tip on what the best way to keep the more expensive
    >provider's connection to a minimum (without shutting down the BGP
    >session) so that nearly all of the traffic will flow through the
    >cheaper provider. FYI we're accepting only our providers' connected
    >routes.

    You need to prepend your AS path a number of times onto your route
    advertisements. The traffic will then avoid that link in favour of the
    route with the shortest number of AS hops.

    Tim
    Tim Thorne, Nov 11, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    Tim Thorne <> wrote:
    > (Hamid) wrote:
    >
    >>Hello;
    >>
    >>We currently are running BGP4 with two providers, and would like to
    >>minimize usage with one of the providers as they are much more
    >>expensive than the other.
    >>
    >>Please give me a tip on what the best way to keep the more expensive
    >>provider's connection to a minimum (without shutting down the BGP
    >>session) so that nearly all of the traffic will flow through the
    >>cheaper provider. FYI we're accepting only our providers' connected
    >>routes.

    >You need to prepend your AS path a number of times onto your route
    >advertisements. The traffic will then avoid that link in favour of the
    >route with the shortest number of AS hops.

    That will adjust the incoming traffic, but not outgoing traffic.

    For outgoing traffic, you need to set the weight or local-preference higher
    on the routes learned from the preferred provider. You can use weight if
    you have a single border router, use local-preference if you have multiple
    routers running IBGP.

    If you want to use the expensive connection to reach that provider's
    connected customers, you should only adjust the weight or local-preference on
    the default route. You can do this with a route-map that matches 0.0.0.0/0.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA
    Barry Margolin, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Hamid

    Andre Beck Guest

    Barry Margolin <> writes:

    > >You need to prepend your AS path a number of times onto your route
    > >advertisements. The traffic will then avoid that link in favour of the
    > >route with the shortest number of AS hops.

    > That will adjust the incoming traffic, but not outgoing traffic.

    You can actually prepend incoming routes to control outgoing traffic as
    well. This has the nice effect of keeping things symmetrical in an easy
    to grasp way - all paths that will not come in via that peer due to AS
    path length will as well not go out to them, either. This of course makes
    most sense if you are not trying to idle out some peer entirely, but
    rather to better balance your upstreams.

    --
    The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

    -> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-
    Andre Beck, Nov 12, 2003