    keep say 150K of the most common and a default route for the rest?

    Thanks
    Gary

    Gary, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Are you concerned about the memory on your router? What type of router
    and how much DRAM does it have installed? Are you using
    soft-reconfiguration?
    Depending on your providers, you could ask for partials + a default
    route. You will lose some load-balancing though.

    Regards,
    Steve
    http://www.networking-forum.com

    www.networking-forum.com, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Gary

    Merv Guest

    I would consider implemnting NETFLOW AS aggregation to see to which ASs
    the majority of your data flows. Those ASs would be the ones whose BGP
    routes you should accept in case you want to move away from full routes.

    Merv, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "Merv" <> wrote in message
    >I would consider implemnting NETFLOW AS aggregation to see to which ASs
    > the majority of your data flows. Those ASs would be the ones whose BGP
    > routes you should accept in case you want to move away from full routes.

    We run 6500's with lots of memory but just trying to ease the load. yes we
    do use soft configuration.

    Thanks
    Gary

    Gary, Apr 7, 2006
  5. Gary

    Merv Guest

    Moving to partial + default would require some careful planning.

    Who would generate default - local or ISP received via BGP

    If ISP how does ISP generate - if from POP router only - blackhole
    scenario if POP becomes partioned from ISP's network ...

    Merv, Apr 7, 2006
  6. Merv wrote:

    > Moving to partial + default would require some careful planning.
    >
    > Who would generate default - local or ISP received via BGP
    >
    > If ISP how does ISP generate - if from POP router only - blackhole
    > scenario if POP becomes partioned from ISP's network ...

    My preferred approach in this situation is to accept full routes but filter
    them to a path length of two or three AS. I also let in a few "far" routes
    which I use to determine that the POP has connectivity to the Internet and
    can be used as a default route. This lets in "local" routes while avoiding
    trying to keep the entire routing table in memory. It won't help you if you
    need to use "soft reconfiguration."

    Good luck and have fun!

    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, May 8, 2006
  7. Gary

    Guest

    i cant wait until IPV6 takes hold...
    we will probably have like 182k per city.. cisco needs that 1TB ram
    router yesterday!
    LOL

    , May 9, 2006