BGP Stub Network interconnection to LAN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by jansenreyes@hotmail.com, May 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guys & Girls I'm seeking a second opinion on the following:

    2 routers with two different BGP connections. These 2 routers are
    linked by a iBGP link. The routers are inturn connected to the "core"
    of a network, comprised of 2 high perf layer 3 switches, by 2 links.
    Left router connected to right switch, right router conected to right
    switch. Currently default routes are advertised from the routers to the
    switches, therefore all traffic arriving on the right switch will be
    routed to the right router, were BGP routes will be checked. If the
    peering is better on the left router traffic will be forwarded via the
    iBGP link to the left router, and then exit.

    The question is one of redundancy and load balancing. I'm thinking of
    implementing cross connections between the left switch and right router
    and vice versa. IS there anyway in which a routing decision could occur
    at the switch, inorder to cut down on the number of hops, rather than
    using the iBGP link. Or shall I just not bother, have the powerful
    routers deal with the routing and live with 50% (given equal peering of
    both BGP links) of the traffic having an extra hop. Given this sceanrio
    the mesh links could have a lower routing priority than the direct
    links, serving as redundant paths increasing availability.

    Thanks in advance

    Jay

    , May 9, 2005