BGP Route 'Convergence'

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Darren Green, Mar 26, 2008.

  1. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    I was helping cut over a new network at the weekend, topology as follows:

    2 x UK sites (separate private AS No's)- each with Ethernet connection
    into MPLS. BGP on WAN, EIGRP on LAN. I redistribute BGP on both routers
    into EIGRP so that other routers inside can receive the routes to the
    remote LAN's. The UK sites also connect together via a primate fibre
    link and exchange EIGRP.

    4 x European sites, same AS No's (1 with EIGRP and BGP as above due to
    other routers on the inside), the others with just BGP (no routers
    inside). The site with BGP & EIGRP uses Ethernet into MPLS, the others
    Leased Lines into MPLS.

    On a test a colleague pulled out one of the remote WAN circuits (the one
    connected with Ethernet) and having plugged it back in I could not route
    to the remote LAN. On the main UK BGP router I had a route in my routing
    table and BGP table but a traceroute was looping round. First to the
    other UK WAN router, then up it's WAN link, then across to the WAN link
    of the BGP router I was on and back down to me etc.

    I had to do a 'clear ip bgp' on the router and everything worked OK.

    So I guess what I am asking is can anyone throw any light on why
    unplugging and then re-connecting (say 20 secs later) the remote WAN
    circuit hung the BGP table. We did wait for 5 mins to see if everything
    came back but to no avail. Only a clear ip bgp got the routing back on
    track.

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Mar 26, 2008

  2. Darren Green

    theapplebee

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    67
    Location:
    USA
    Did you configure MD5 or high hold-time setting?

    theapplebee, Jul 24, 2009