BGP Load Sharing

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ciscortp@hotmail.com, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this, any
    suggestions would be appreciated

    Hub1
    inter----Gateway1-----eBGP--MPLS Cloud--eBGP---Spoke 1
    net | |
    net | iBGP MPLS
    net | |
    cloud--Gateway 2-----eBGP--MPLS Cloud--eBGP---Spoke 2
    Hub2

    In this configuration, All of the spokes (remote sites) are connected
    into the mpls cloud via BGP. They are advertising their local routes
    and therefore can reach other. In order for the spokes to reach
    networks which are NOT in their routing table,( such as any public
    internet address), they will have to send traffic to one of the
    gateways.

    What I would like to do is be able to load share between the two
    gateways (Hubs).

    For outbound traffic (toward the spokes) I know that I can use local
    preference to choose an AS exit path for specific spoke prefixes (this
    will allow me to load share traffic toward the spokes)

    For inbound traffic I am a little confused on how to do it. I would
    like to advertise a default route to the spokes, but I want, for
    example, Spoke 1 to always use Gateway 1 and Spoke 2 to use Gateway 2.
    In the event of a failure on Gateway 1, all spokes should route to
    Gateway 2 and vice versa.

    1. Is it possible to advertise a default gateway from each Hub? or will

    the spokes only accept one of the default gateways?
    2. Is there a way to force specific spokes to uses specific default
    gateways?
    3. Is there an even simpler way to achieve all of this?

    My goal is to be able to load share the traffic from the spokes
    destined for the internet.

    In my actual setup, there is actually 4 gateways and over 100 spokes.

    Thanks.
    , Nov 30, 2005