BGP Load Balancing Inwards

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Darren Green, Feb 19, 2008.

  1. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    Hi All,

    I have been asked to deploy a new WAN. One of the key sites has 2 x
    links into MPLS (separate routers). The solution sold uses GLBP outbound
    on the LAN side and BGP on the WAN side.

    My issue - the site with 2 x links uses a SAP cluster. All remote sites
    wanting to hit this cluster will route to a single IP address. I had
    provisionally planned to advertise different host addresses /32 (for
    separate SAP servers) down each link as well as the LAN subnet. This
    would provide a rough form of inbound load balancing i.e. one link
    inbound to SAP Server 1 and another to SAP Server 2.

    I need to think about other methods of inbound load balancing. Looks
    like I may have to go with RIPv2 or something else that the carrier
    supports. I can't see the carrier wanting to add policy routing to their
    devices policy routing traffic from one source down 1 x link and another
    source down another links. Also seems to me that theres no way of
    getting the traffic to route symmetrically here.

    NB The only servers at the site are the SAP boxes.

    Any ideas ?

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Feb 19, 2008

  2. Darren Green

    Merv Guest

    On Feb 19, 7:44 am, Darren Green
    <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have been asked to deploy a new WAN. One of the key sites has 2 x
    > links into MPLS (separate routers). The solution sold uses GLBP outbound
    > on the LAN side and BGP on the WAN side.
    >
    > My issue - the site with 2 x links uses a SAP cluster. All remote sites
    > wanting to hit this cluster will route to a single IP address. I had
    > provisionally planned to advertise different host addresses /32 (for
    > separate SAP servers) down each link as well as the LAN subnet. This
    > would provide a rough form of inbound load balancing i.e. one link
    > inbound to SAP Server 1 and another to SAP Server 2.
    >
    > I need to think about other methods of inbound load balancing. Looks
    > like I may have to go with RIPv2 or something else that the carrier
    > supports. I can't see the carrier wanting to add policy routing to their
    > devices policy routing traffic from one source down 1 x link and another
    > source down another links. Also seems to me that theres no way of
    > getting the traffic to route symmetrically here.

    given that you are using BGP between your CE routers and the carrier's
    PE routers - then ask the carrier if they support EIBGP load balancing
    (notice the acronynm EIBGP - this is important)

    Merv, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    Merv wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 7:44 am, Darren Green
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have been asked to deploy a new WAN. One of the key sites has 2 x
    >> links into MPLS (separate routers). The solution sold uses GLBP outbound
    >> on the LAN side and BGP on the WAN side.
    >>
    >> My issue - the site with 2 x links uses a SAP cluster. All remote sites
    >> wanting to hit this cluster will route to a single IP address. I had
    >> provisionally planned to advertise different host addresses /32 (for
    >> separate SAP servers) down each link as well as the LAN subnet. This
    >> would provide a rough form of inbound load balancing i.e. one link
    >> inbound to SAP Server 1 and another to SAP Server 2.
    >>
    >> I need to think about other methods of inbound load balancing. Looks
    >> like I may have to go with RIPv2 or something else that the carrier
    >> supports. I can't see the carrier wanting to add policy routing to their
    >> devices policy routing traffic from one source down 1 x link and another
    >> source down another links. Also seems to me that theres no way of
    >> getting the traffic to route symmetrically here.

    > given that you are using BGP between your CE routers and the carrier's
    > PE routers - then ask the carrier if they support EIBGP load balancing
    > (notice the acronynm EIBGP - this is important)

    Thanks Merv,

    Had a look and this certainly seems to offer what I want. I have
    e-mailed the carrier to see if they can offer the service.

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Feb 19, 2008