    What is the best way to achieve this?

    Any code snippets greatly appreciated.

    Gary

    Gary, Nov 2, 2005

  2. On 02.11.2005 04:20 Gary wrote

    > We have one AS and another ISP in the same CoLo facility has another AS,
    > each with separate IP blockes from RIPE.
    >
    > We want to act as backup for each other so if our core router dies theirs
    > takes over and the world sees us through them and vica-versa.
    >
    > Under normal conditions we both have upstreams but need to create a solid
    > failover method.
    >
    > What is the best way to achieve this?
    >
    > Any code snippets greatly appreciated.

    Setup a BGP session on each side and announce your prefixes to each
    other. Take full table from your peer as well. Prepend your prefixes so
    that they are really backup (you may want to take your neighbors
    prefixes as best to optimize and keep the backup link busy) and also
    give the full table from your neighor least local_preference.

    Goggle at Cisco's website for BGP to find config examples.

    Arnold
    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45

    Arnold Nipper, Nov 2, 2005

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "Arnold Nipper" <> wrote in message
    > On 02.11.2005 04:20 Gary wrote
    >
    >> We have one AS and another ISP in the same CoLo facility has another AS,
    >> each with separate IP blockes from RIPE.
    >>
    >> We want to act as backup for each other so if our core router dies theirs
    >> takes over and the world sees us through them and vica-versa.
    >>
    >> Under normal conditions we both have upstreams but need to create a solid
    >> failover method.
    >>
    >> What is the best way to achieve this?
    >>
    >> Any code snippets greatly appreciated.
    >>

    > Setup a BGP session on each side and announce your prefixes to each other.
    > Take full table from your peer as well. Prepend your prefixes so that they
    > are really backup (you may want to take your neighbors prefixes as best to
    > optimize and keep the backup link busy) and also give the full table from
    > your neighor least local_preference.
    >
    > Goggle at Cisco's website for BGP to find config examples.
    >

    > Arnold
    > --
    > Arnold Nipper, AN45

    Thanks. What about the default gateways. The BGP edge routers are also the
    default gateways for the internal machines.

    Assuming one router fails the world will find the AS through the partner,
    but can we also HSRP the d/gateway IP's under these circumstances or should
    each side have a failover router for the D/Gateways?

    Gary, Nov 2, 2005