    I am about to set up a BGP to 2 different ISPs.

    Is there any rule of thumb as to what type of
    hardware to use?

    Captain, Apr 2, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Captain <> wrote:

    > I am about to set up a BGP to 2 different ISPs.
    >
    > Is there any rule of thumb as to what type of
    > hardware to use?

    It depends on how many routes you'll be getting from the other site.
    With a small routing table, any router will work fine. The router size
    generally only becomes an issue if you'll be getting full or partial
    Internet routing tables.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Captain

    Captain Guest

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 01:59:17 -0500, Barry Margolin
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Captain <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am about to set up a BGP to 2 different ISPs.
    >>
    >> Is there any rule of thumb as to what type of
    >> hardware to use?

    >It depends on how many routes you'll be getting from the other site.
    >With a small routing table, any router will work fine. The router size
    >generally only becomes an issue if you'll be getting full or partial
    >Internet routing tables.

    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    ISP-1 : will be a 6-Mb connection,(via cisco3620)

    ISP-2 : will be a 3-Mb,(or 6-Mb) connection(via cisco 3620)

    I will have seven(7) to ten(10) full class C's to advertise.

    I want/need to setup full load balancing between both
    connections.

    I was considering putting in a cisco3640,(with 3 FastEthernet
    ports on it), which would serve as my gateway to both 3620s.

    Does this type of setup make sense? Or is it better to go
    with one powerful gateway router for everything?

    Also, is a 3640 enough horsepower for "some" future expanding?

    Or perhaps, is it more then I need for this type of setup?

    P.S. I'm experienced on the cisco platforms, but this is my
    first time to even look at BGP, so I have no idea on what
    sort of resourses BGP uses. I don't want to buy all the
    equipment, set it all up, and then a few hours later finally
    know for sure what I "should" have bought to begin with?!?!

    Captain, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Captain

    timo Guest

    Hey

    I use 3640's as BGP routers and Im not too happy with them mainly
    because 128MB isnt enough ram for a fill BGP table. I kinda wish I had
    a 37xx with 256MB or even a 7xxx. On the 3640 , apply some ACL;s on
    your interfaces and your at ~20 or 30% CPU util .... However ,
    there are easy , well documented ways to get around the RAM
    limitations and still get real good load sharing. Hell, Im doing it
    w\ 3 3640's , 4 ISPs, a 6MB DS3 to ISPa, 2x T1 to ISPb , 2x T1 to ISPc
    and 1x T1 to ISPc.

    Timo

    timo, Apr 3, 2004