    Is BGP the only feasible option for redundant inbound Internet connections?
    What about for smaller companies who only have a small IP block and their
    ISP's will not support BGP?

    SP, Nov 20, 2003

  2. SP

    CCIE8122 Guest

    > Is BGP the only feasible option for redundant inbound Internet connections?
    > What about for smaller companies who only have a small IP block and their
    > ISP's will not support BGP?

    Without BGP, you are pretty much limited to using the same ISP for the
    redundant circuit.

    You could do multiple ISPs, but that would only address outbound
    connectivity, not inbound.

    HTH

    kr

    CCIE8122, Nov 20, 2003

  3. In article <7IWub.713$yX5.567@okepread05>, SP <> wrote:
    >Is BGP the only feasible option for redundant inbound Internet connections?
    >What about for smaller companies who only have a small IP block and their
    >ISP's will not support BGP?

    As is so often the case, the answer is... it depends.

    There are a wide range of options, depending upon how quickly you
    want external users to fail-over to the redundant path, from under 20
    seconds running an IGP with multiple links to a single ISP to hours
    using manual updates to DNS; and what application is being used (for
    example, SMTP email only requires an MX record for a unique IP for
    each path). BGP tends to be the easiest for general purpose use, but
    there are many exceptions, and even BGP won't help you if set up wrong.

    See the "Multihoming--Connecting to Two ISPs" white paper on my web
    site for brief discussion of many of the issues.

    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Nov 20, 2003
  4. SP

    theapplebee