beyond Blu-Ray and HD-DVD: InPhase Holographic Disc Storage - Optware & Fuji HVD, and what happene

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Radeon350@yahoo.com, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    200 GigaByte and 300 GigaByte Storage -
    on a disc / system called WORM (Write Once, Read Many)

    "InPhase Technologies will be showing off a holographic video recorder
    next week with a new type of 3D storage that can hold 20 movies on a
    single disc"

    "Holographic media will get an airing next week in Las Vegas, as
    InPhase Technologies promises a demonstration of its first prototype
    system.

    In addition, InPhase firmed up its product plans, too - the first
    InPhase drives will ship to commercial customers in 2006, at a larger
    300 GByte capacity point."

    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...07853,00.htm inphase "Constellation 3D"&hl=en
    http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050413_201751.html
    http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20050412005244&newsLang=en
    http://www.networkmagazineindia.com/200503/newsanalysis08.shtml
    http://www.networkmagazineindia.com/200503/20050307.jpg
    http://press.xtvworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4937
    http://www.itpronto.com/content/112/523.html
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=1143&cid=4

    300 GB, that is a roughly ~10 fold leap beyond Blu-Ray (1x) or HD-DVD

    and still a ~6x leap beyond 50 GB Blu-Ray (2x)

    *20Mb transfer rate on the 200GB model, (a little slow, no?)

    The only thing that might be able to compete with InPhase's Holographic
    Disc storage system is the FMD / FMD-ROM (Fluorescent Multilayer Disk)
    by Constellation 3D which can hold something like 140 GB in its first
    generation, and TeraByte+ capacity in its second generation.
    (correct me if I'm wrong on that)

    Constellation 3D's FMD / FMD-ROM was announced about 5 years ago.

    btw, InPhase is aiming for 1.6TB of space, so it seems both InPhase
    and Constellation 3D have similar storage-space goals.

    I wonder when computers, consumer electronics, playstations, etc will
    be able to have this technology (Holographic or Fluorescent disks) at
    affordable mass-market prices ?

    *Also* I almost forgot to mention that, there is also HVD
    ~ Holographic Versatile Disc by Japan's Optware Corp. and Fuji Film

    which will store between 1 TB and 3.9 TeraBytes of data!

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.video.dvd/msg/195fb61ff72c3407?dmod=
    e=3Dsource

    http://www.thechannelinsider.com/article2/0,1759,1760259,00.asp

    http://www.cameratown.com/news/news.cfm/hurl/id|1182

    FujiFilm To Display Holographic Storage Technology at NAB

    Holographic Storage Offers Several Terabytes of Removable, Backward
    Compatible DVD-size Disc Storage For Film & Electronic Media
    Applications

    Valhalla, New York, April 13, 2005  Next week at the National
    Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show in Las Vegas, Fuji Photo Film
    U=2ES.A., Inc. will display its next generation information storage
    disc
    technology that promises over 200 times greater capacity (or up to 3.9
    TB) and 40 times the transfer speed of today's DVD media. Called
    Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD), the technology utilizes existing
    manufacturing processes and a unique application of servo information
    to markedly increase the storage capacity beyond that of today's
    optical discs.

    This technology is the result of innovation from Optware Corporation,
    now supported by the recently formed Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD)
    Alliance, an industry consortium of global technology companies
    announced in January.

    It would be interesting to learn the pros and cons of these 3 next-next
    gen optical storage technologies:

    *FMD ~ Fluorescent Multilayer Disc by Constellation 3D
    *HVD ~ Holographic Versatile Disc by Optware / Fuji Film
    *Holographic Storage by InPhase

    , Apr 15, 2005

  2. RichA Guest

    On 14 Apr 2005 16:01:32 -0700, wrote:

    >200 GigaByte and 300 GigaByte Storage -
    >on a disc / system called WORM (Write Once, Read Many)
    >

    >"InPhase Technologies will be showing off a holographic video recorder
    >next week with a new type of 3D storage that can hold 20 movies on a
    >single disc"
    >

    >"Holographic media will get an airing next week in Las Vegas, as
    >InPhase Technologies promises a demonstration of its first prototype
    >system.
    >
    >In addition, InPhase firmed up its product plans, too - the first
    >InPhase drives will ship to commercial customers in 2006, at a larger
    >300 GByte capacity point."

    Even if they do produce discs that can hold this quanitity of
    information, they'd do well to figure out how to make the
    reading and writing of the discs faster than a hard drive.
    -Rich

    RichA, Apr 15, 2005