Beware the MPAA's DVD-sniffing dogs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Modemac, May 11, 2006.

  1. Modemac

    Modemac Guest

    Modemac, May 11, 2006

  2. Modemac

    Samantha Guest

    On 11 May 2006 04:14:44 -0700, "Modemac" <> wrote:

    >The MPAA is training dogs to sniff out pirate DVDs (just like drug
    >sniffing dogs).

    No, you read the article wrong. They trained dogs to sniff out DVDs.
    Not pirate DVDs. All DVDs. Every FedEx package that contained DVDs was
    stopped, opened, and rifled through.

    Not one pirate DVD was found.

    And the MPAA calls this "success". Now they want to track the movement of
    every legitimate DVD? Why don't we just start calling them Big Brother and
    get it over with.

    The MPAA press release states that criminals gained 278 million pounds
    from piracy in the UK last year. Obviously that would have to be from
    goods that were not siezed. So, if no one intercepted these supposed
    goods, how does anyone know how much money was made?

    I assume the numbers were arrived at in the usual way.

    Samantha, May 11, 2006

  3. "Modemac" <> wrote in message
    > The MPAA is training dogs to sniff out pirate DVDs (just like drug
    > sniffing dogs). So does this mean they will be putting them to use at
    > airports?
    >
    > http://www.spacegrinder.com/article8.html

    I'm wondering how different a DVD smells to a CD.

    Could Flo or Lucky sniff out one illegal copy of "MI III" amidst 100 illegal
    copies of the new Toby Keith album?

    Everything the dogs have sniffed out has been legit so far.
    Bhagwan Shree SODDI, May 11, 2006
  4. Modemac

    pjamison2 Guest

    "Bhagwan Shree SODDI" <weenie_boi@pee_pants.com> wrote in message

    > "Modemac" <> wrote in message
    >> The MPAA is training dogs to sniff out pirate DVDs (just like drug
    >> sniffing dogs). So does this mean they will be putting them to use at
    >> airports?
    >>
    >> http://www.spacegrinder.com/article8.html
    >>

    > I'm wondering how different a DVD smells to a CD.
    >
    > Could Flo or Lucky sniff out one illegal copy of "MI III" amidst 100
    > illegal copies of the new Toby Keith album?

    First you'd have to convince me that there's 100 *legal* copies of the new
    Toby Keith album.

    --

    Paul E. Jamison

    "I traveled to a planet with no bilateral symmetry
    and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
    pjamison2, May 12, 2006
  5. Modemac

    Alpha Guest

    I am so sick of the MPAA calling its outrageous stupidity 'exciting.' They
    will destroy the film industry!

    Alpha, May 12, 2006
  6. In article <>, says...
    > I am so sick of the MPAA calling its outrageous stupidity 'exciting.' They
    > will destroy the film industry!
    >
    > "Modemac" <> wrote in message
    > > The MPAA is training dogs to sniff out pirate DVDs (just like drug
    > > sniffing dogs). So does this mean they will be putting them to use at
    > > airports?
    > >
    > > http://www.spacegrinder.com/article8.html
    > >
    > > --
    > > The High Weirdness Project
    > > http://www.modemac.com

    I thin the film industry is doing that nicely by itself.
    Fish! - THE Aristocrat., May 12, 2006
  7. In article <>, Fish! -
    THE Aristocrat. <> wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    > > I am so sick of the MPAA calling its outrageous stupidity 'exciting.' They
    > > will destroy the film industry!
    > >
    > > "Modemac" <> wrote in message
    > > > The MPAA is training dogs to sniff out pirate DVDs (just like drug
    > > > sniffing dogs). So does this mean they will be putting them to use at
    > > > airports?
    > > >
    > > > http://www.spacegrinder.com/article8.html
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > The High Weirdness Project
    > > > http://www.modemac.com
    > > >

    > I thin the film industry is doing that nicely by itself.

    I thin so too!!

    Ricky Ricardo
    Heinrich Galland, May 12, 2006
  8. Modemac

    Unidyne Guest

    Heinrich Galland wrote:
    > In article <>, Fish! -
    > THE Aristocrat. <> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>, says...
    >>
    >>>I am so sick of the MPAA calling its outrageous stupidity 'exciting.' They
    >>>will destroy the film industry!
    >>>
    >>>"Modemac" <> wrote in message

    >>I thin the film industry is doing that nicely by itself.

    > I thin so too!!

    "Now, hol' on there, Baba Louie! I'll do the thinnin' around here!"

    Quick Draw McGraw
    Unidyne, May 13, 2006
  9. Modemac

    just john Guest

    Unidyne wrote:
    > Heinrich Galland wrote:
    >> In article <>, Fish! -
    >> THE Aristocrat. <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> In article <>, says...

    >>> I thin the film industry is doing that nicely by itself.

    >> I thin so too!!

    > "Now, hol' on there, Baba Louie! I'll do the thinnin' around here!"
    >
    > Quick Draw McGraw

    (wakes from nap taken scrolling past the cascade)

    Huh? What's that? Paint thinner wipes out the tell-tale smell?

    (hits "send" before waking up fully)
    --
    * Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/cn/rfe.shtml *
    just john, May 13, 2006
  10. Modemac

    Guest

    >"The MPAA press release states that criminals gained 278 million pounds
    >from piracy in the UK last year."

    You know, if you prepare Piracy in canola oil rather than butter you
    won't gain nearly so much.

    Maybe with a little basil.

    John Harkness
    , May 13, 2006
  11. Modemac

    Sean Guest

    > I'm wondering how different a DVD smells to a CD.

    I'm not sure about all DVDs, but "Battlefield Earth" sure stinks.

    Sean
    Sean, May 13, 2006
  12. Modemac

    artist Guest

    "Modemac" <> wrote in news:1147346084.695199.106860
    @j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > The MPAA is training dogs to sniff out pirate DVDs (just like drug
    > sniffing dogs). So does this mean they will be putting them to use at
    > airports?
    >
    > http://www.spacegrinder.com/article8.html
    >
    > --
    > The High Weirdness Project
    > http://www.modemac.com

    Well, it looks like I won't be using fedex any time soon. Granted,
    different countries have differnet laws, but in America, the right to
    privacy (amoung others) is very seriously taken.

    --
    AIM: GCCFurryBoy

    http://www.practialdesigns.com/
    artist, May 14, 2006
  13. Modemac

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On 13 May 2006 07:16:39 -0700, Gave us:

    >>"The MPAA press release states that criminals gained 278 million pounds
    >>from piracy in the UK last year."

    >You know, if you prepare Piracy in canola oil rather than butter you
    >won't gain nearly so much.
    >
    >Maybe with a little basil.
    >
    >John Harkness

    Good one. You know your lines well. Now, let's see if they can
    deliver their lines properly.
    Roy L. Fuchs, May 14, 2006
  14. Modemac

    Tim V. Guest

    Samantha <> wrote in

    > No, you read the article wrong. They trained dogs to sniff out DVDs.
    > Not pirate DVDs. All DVDs. Every FedEx package that contained DVDs was
    > stopped, opened, and rifled through.

    Was this over a short test period? Will this become SOP? (standard
    operating procedure)

    > Not one pirate DVD was found.

    Doesn't surprise me. They are digging for needles in aystacks.

    > And the MPAA calls this "success". Now they want to track the movement
    > of every legitimate DVD? Why don't we just start calling them Big
    > Brother and get it over with.

    They probably have a relative of Joseph Goebbels working in PR. :)

    > I assume the numbers were arrived at in the usual way.

    As in "out of thin air?" ? Most likely...

    --
    Tim.

    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
    neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    "Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
    reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
    Washington
    Tim V., May 16, 2006