beware of VONAGE! Don't sign up! I whish someone had warned me...

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by big D, Jun 11, 2006.

  1. big D

    big D Guest

    I just ordered Vonage and I reeeeeally whish I hadn't done that.
    Suddenly, I am having problems with internet and I've had the same
    internet service for whole two years with no problems at all. I talked
    to two inarticulate women in India who tried to help but couldn't. I
    spent 40 minutes talking to them and another 40 minutes waiting on hold
    to talk to someone else.

    At this point, I'm just trying to cancel it, which is NOT EASY to say
    the least.

    I whish I read the 28 PAGES OF COMPLAINTS AGAINST vonage on
    www.consumeraffairs.com (I never would have ordered this stupid
    service.)

    Don't do it!

    Tell others about it!

    I whish someone had warned me!

    big D, Jun 11, 2006

  2. big D

    Lena Guest

    big D wrote:
    > I just ordered Vonage and I reeeeeally whish I hadn't done that.
    > At this point, I'm just trying to cancel it, which is NOT EASY

    Hopefully you are within a free trial period, 'cause I have read that
    there is a termination fee in the neighborhood of $130.

    Read up on CallVantage (AT&T) or VoiceWing (Verizon).

    Lena

    Lena, Jun 11, 2006

  3. =?iso-8859-1?q?BradReese.Com=AE_-_Leverage_Your_Ci, Jun 12, 2006
  4. big D

    Jeremy Guest

    "big D" <> wrote in message
    >I just ordered Vonage and I reeeeeally whish I hadn't done that.
    > Suddenly, I am having problems with internet and I've had the same
    > internet service for whole two years with no problems at all. I talked
    > to two inarticulate women in India who tried to help but couldn't. I
    > spent 40 minutes talking to them and another 40 minutes waiting on hold
    > to talk to someone else.
    >
    > At this point, I'm just trying to cancel it, which is NOT EASY to say
    > the least.
    >
    > I whish I read the 28 PAGES OF COMPLAINTS AGAINST vonage on
    > www.consumeraffairs.com (I never would have ordered this stupid
    > service.)
    >
    > Don't do it!
    >
    > Tell others about it!
    >
    > I whish someone had warned me!

    Published reports this year have disclosed that 25% of Vonage's customers
    leave them each year. Vonage has not made a single cent in profit since its
    inception. Vonage has to replace the 25% of their customers that leave,
    just to remain at the same number of customers (running in place).

    Jeremy, Jun 12, 2006
  5. big D

    Pat Coghlan Guest

    I got turned off by the call centre in *India* as well.

    I went with Zingotel instead. Snazzy website, free equipment for a
    30-day trial, and they support Canadian customers to boot.

    I signed up right away.

    -Pat

    Pat Coghlan, Jun 12, 2006
  6. big D

    lab Guest

    > Suddenly, I am having problems with internet and I've had the same
    > internet service for whole two years with no problems at all. I talked

    Sorry, but signing up to a VOIP service cannot affect your internet service,
    as bad as everybody makes them out to be (i havent used them) its simply
    impossible to make your internet service have problems, unless your router
    cannot handle it (which is a router problem, not a VOIP problem), or they
    are flooding your network line with traffic (not likely).

    lab, Jun 12, 2006
  7. big D

    Brandonb Guest

    lab wrote:
    >>Suddenly, I am having problems with internet and I've had the same
    >>internet service for whole two years with no problems at all. I talked

    > Sorry, but signing up to a VOIP service cannot affect your internet service,
    > as bad as everybody makes them out to be (i havent used them) its simply
    > impossible to make your internet service have problems, unless your router
    > cannot handle it (which is a router problem, not a VOIP problem), or they
    > are flooding your network line with traffic (not likely).

    Actually, Vonage has many phone adapters that double as a router and are
    placed IN FRONT OF a regular broadband router. So if they have QoS
    settings or other funky routes set up, it could potentially cause an
    issue. Not to mention the possibility of double-NAT on same subnet if
    his equipment matches theirs.

    Brandonb, Jun 12, 2006
  8. Brandonb <> writes:

    >lab wrote:
    >>>Suddenly, I am having problems with internet and I've had the same
    >>>internet service for whole two years with no problems at all. I talked

    >> Sorry, but signing up to a VOIP service cannot affect your internet service,
    >> as bad as everybody makes them out to be (i havent used them) its simply
    >> impossible to make your internet service have problems, unless your router
    >> cannot handle it (which is a router problem, not a VOIP problem), or they
    >> are flooding your network line with traffic (not likely).

    >Actually, Vonage has many phone adapters that double as a router and are
    >placed IN FRONT OF a regular broadband router. So if they have QoS
    >settings or other funky routes set up, it could potentially cause an
    >issue. Not to mention the possibility of double-NAT on same subnet if
    >his equipment matches theirs.

    Not the OP, but...

    This is why my Vonage router sits *inside* my broadband router, and has
    all of it's router features effectively disabled. I tried to get them
    to send me a plain old VOIP adapter (ie not a router), but they refused,
    insisting that I needed their router, even though I knew better. I
    should have known then what a pain in the butt their service would be.

    -Stephen
    --
    Space Age Cybernomad Stephen Adams
    (remove SPAM to reply)

    Stephen Adams, Jun 12, 2006
  9. In article <e6knmd$83u$>,
    says...

    > Actually, Vonage has many phone adapters that double as a router and are
    > placed IN FRONT OF a regular broadband router.

    Can be, but don't have to be, in front of the router. Mine are both
    behind routers (actually, the one at the office is three hops in from my
    broadband connection) and they work just fine that way.

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

    Joshua Putnam, Jun 13, 2006