    the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot

    fj.comp.dev.digital-camera

    Gary
    Gary J Bevans, Aug 24, 2003

  2. Gary J Bevans

    Enough Guest

    In article <6Y12b.22117$nf3.21854@fed1read07>,
    "Gary J Bevans" <> wrote:

    > Beware of attached virus to message from
    >
    > Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
    >
    > the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot
    >
    > fj.comp.dev.digital-camera
    >
    > Gary

    Buy a Mac. We don't fear no stinkin' virus!

    Thank you, Bill, can I have ANOTHER?

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Aug 24, 2003

  3. Gary J Bevans

    Trevor S Guest

    "Gary J Bevans" <> wrote in news:6Y12b.22117$nf3.21854
    @fed1read07:

    > Beware of attached virus to message from
    >
    > Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
    >
    > the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot
    >
    > fj.comp.dev.digital-camera

    You're using:

    shrug.. grab a non MS newsreader

    I can recommend X-News, it's free and better to boot.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor S, Aug 24, 2003
  4. Enough <> wrote in news:Vk22b.88102$On2.3946171
    @twister.tampabay.rr.com:

    > Buy a Mac. We don't fear no stinkin' virus!

    The chap warned for a virus on news. I don't
    think he asked for a jihad against PC or Micro$oft.

    BTW - I use xnews. It cannot run attachments,
    so I am safe. No need to run any stinkin' attachments
    when reading news. So - a good advice is to avoid
    Outlook Express.

    Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Aug 24, 2003
  5. Gary J Bevans

    Herb Kauhry Guest

    Yeah, if there were enough macs around for the hackers to bother creating a
    virus for them, you would fear them because you no doubt haven't any virus
    protection. As it stands, there are hardly enough macs in the world to even
    keep the most prolific virus alive. What a clever anti-virus technique.

    "How you like them apples"?

    Herb Kauhry, Aug 24, 2003
  6. > Beware of attached virus to message from

    > Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
    >
    > the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot

    Virus? What's that?

    Oh yeah...I use Macintosh. :)
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 24, 2003
  7. Gary J Bevans

    Charlie D Guest

    In article <>,
    "Herb Kauhry" <> wrote:

    > As it stands, there are hardly enough macs in the world to even
    > keep the most prolific virus alive. What a clever anti-virus technique.
    >
    > "How you like them apples"?

    Just fine. ;)

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Aug 24, 2003
  8. Gary J Bevans

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 07:38:13 -0500, Enough wrote:
    ..

    > Buy a Mac. We don't fear no stinkin' virus!

    ..

    Or just switch to the LINUX operating system-- virtually unheard of for
    viruses to harm a PC running linux. In fact, I even run Microsoft Windows
    in a window of Linux-- and doing that prevents MS viruses from having any
    effect since the MS-Windows from within linux still is using the linux
    filesystem which is very safe from viruses and worms.
    Beowulf, Aug 24, 2003
  9. Gary J Bevans

    Charles Guest

    In article <>, Herb Kauhry
    <> wrote:

    > Yeah, if there were enough macs around for the hackers to bother creating a
    > virus for them, you would fear them because you no doubt haven't any virus

    There are millions of Mac and Linux users. It is not a coincidence that
    they viruses are effecting Windows users and not Mac and Linux users.
    See this article in todays Washington Post.

    <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34978-2003Aug23.html>

    The answer to this problem is that Microsoft should spend some of the
    billions it has in the bank and fix it's Windows security problems.

    --
    Charles
    Charles, Aug 24, 2003
  10. Gary J Bevans

    John McGaw Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > Beware of attached virus to message from
    > >
    > > Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
    > >
    > > the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot

    > Virus? What's that?
    >
    > Oh yeah...I use Macintosh. :)

    Gotta be careful though. Keep touting Macintosh and Linux and make them
    popular then you will be the one with the virus problem -- nobody, even your
    regular cracker type will bother with a fringe product used by a tiny
    portion of the market but as soon as they become mainstream they will be
    worth attacking. And because they haven't been subjected to severe attacks
    in the past they may well be even more vulnerable than Windoze...
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    Return address will not work. Please
    reply in group or through my website:
    http://johnmcgaw.com
    John McGaw, Aug 24, 2003
  11. Gary J Bevans

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/24/03 8:40 AM, in article , "Herb
    Kauhry" <> wrote:

    > Yeah, if there were enough macs around for the hackers to bother creating a
    > virus for them, you would fear them because you no doubt haven't any virus
    > protection. As it stands, there are hardly enough macs in the world to even
    > keep the most prolific virus alive. What a clever anti-virus technique.
    >
    > "How you like them apples"?

    I sure do! Sorry for your "sour grapes"...
    ROFLMAO!!!!

    George Kerby, Aug 24, 2003
  12. Gary J Bevans

    HRosita Guest

    > Charles wrote:

    >The answer to this problem is that Microsoft should spend some of the
    >billions it has in the bank and fix it's Windows security problems.

    Hi,

    While I have owned a PC for ages, I fully agree with you. The Windows code is
    sloppy, bloated and as full of holes as swiss cheese.

    And to think that Win XP was supposed to be such a stable, secure system.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Aug 24, 2003
  13. Gary J Bevans

    Enough Guest

    In article <Xns93E19AC693690rolandkarlssonchello@130.133.1.4>,
    Roland Karlsson <> wrote:

    > Enough <> wrote in news:Vk22b.88102$On2.3946171
    > @twister.tampabay.rr.com:
    >
    > > Buy a Mac. We don't fear no stinkin' virus!

    > The chap warned for a virus on news. I don't
    > think he asked for a jihad against PC or Micro$oft.
    >
    > BTW - I use xnews. It cannot run attachments,
    > so I am safe. No need to run any stinkin' attachments
    > when reading news. So - a good advice is to avoid
    > Outlook Express.

    The good advice is to avoid ANYTHING connected with Microsoft!

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Aug 24, 2003
  14. Gary J Bevans

    Steve Young Guest

    > "George Kerby" <> wrote
    > ROFLMAO!!!!

    your sour grapes were perdy good :)))
    Steve Young, Aug 24, 2003
  15. Gary J Bevans

    jriegle Guest

    "Charles" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Herb Kauhry
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, if there were enough macs around for the hackers to bother

    creating a
    > > virus for them, you would fear them because you no doubt haven't any

    virus

    > There are millions of Mac and Linux users. It is not a coincidence that
    > they viruses are effecting Windows users and not Mac and Linux users.
    > See this article in todays Washington Post.
    >
    > <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34978-2003Aug23.html>
    >
    > The answer to this problem is that Microsoft should spend some of the
    > billions it has in the bank and fix it's Windows security problems.

    I think the Blaster virus addressed that issue itself. It had a message,
    something like: "Billy gates, why do you let this happen? Stop making money
    and fix your software."
    jriegle, Aug 24, 2003
  16. Gary J Bevans

    Don Coon Guest

    "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > "Gary J Bevans" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Beware of attached virus to message from
    > >
    > >Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
    > >
    > >the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot
    > >
    > > fj.comp.dev.digital-camera

    > If you use Microsoft Outhouse to read newsgroups (or email, for that
    > matter) you deserve what you get.

    Haven't got a virus of any kind reading newsgroups (or email, for that
    matter) using Outlook Express. Any idiot who opens attachments without
    knowing the sender or file extension deserves to get burnt -- at least once.

    Also, IMHO, people who use derisive terms like "Microsoft Outhouse",
    "Windoze" etc. show their insecurity and/or immaturity.

    My 10 cents.
    Don Coon, Aug 24, 2003
  17. Gary J Bevans

    jriegle Guest

    I'm a Windows user. I find Windows 2000 to be pretty good. The only time I
    have problems is when I run into poorly written drivers. Companies need to
    spend some more QA work on them.

    I wouldn't mind having a Mac though. I already have two PCs and a laptop. No
    room for one now.
    John

    jriegle, Aug 24, 2003
  18. Gary J Bevans

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/24/03 10:46 AM, in article
    L552b.112017$, "Steve Young"
    <> wrote:

    >> "George Kerby" <> wrote
    >> ROFLMAO!!!!

    > your sour grapes were perdy good :)))

    <sound of rimshot>
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

    George Kerby, Aug 24, 2003
  19. Gary J Bevans

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/24/03 11:02 AM, in article qk52b.244563$Ho3.31275@sccrnsc03, "Don Coon"
    <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote:

    > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >> "Gary J Bevans" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Beware of attached virus to message from
    >>>
    >>> Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
    >>>
    >>> the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot
    >>>
    >>> fj.comp.dev.digital-camera

    >> If you use Microsoft Outhouse to read newsgroups (or email, for that
    >> matter) you deserve what you get.

    > My 10 cents.

    Inflation is a terrible thing to waste (as well as insults).

    George Kerby, Aug 24, 2003
  20. Gary J Bevans

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:42:32 -0500, Mike Graham wrote:

    > In article <>, Beowulf
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Or just switch to the LINUX operating system-- virtually unheard of
    >> for
    >> viruses to harm a PC running linux.

    > Actually, there *is* one, now. It appeared a month or two ago. I
    > don't
    > know of anyone who has been exposed to it, but it was mentioned on
    > slashdot or freshmeat or one of those other geek-news services.
    > I run linux, too.

    Yes there are a relatively small number of linux viruses, but they are
    not very effective or effective at all unless they can gain root
    privelage, such as infecting a linux user's computer where such a user
    was stupid enough not to give root a password (or an easy password)
    during the linux install. Or a virus might gain access to a user's
    directory, but that virus could never corrupt system files or take over
    the operating system-- it could only steal user data, etc.
    Beowulf, Aug 24, 2003