BEWARE OF AT&T!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Whistleblower, Mar 29, 2010.

  1. BEWARE OF and AVOID doing business with AT&T!

    AT&T exemplifies screw-the-consumer corporate arrogance at its worst.
    DO NOT PATRONIZE AT&T or YOU'LL REGRET IT!

    I had an ISP service package with AT&T Worldnet that included email, DSL, a
    personal website on their server, and Usenet access. Suddenly they dropped
    the Usenet service, with no compensation to customers that were forced to
    find another source. Another example of their screw-the-customer attitude is
    the fact that reaching a tech support person by phone typically requires at
    least a 20 minute wait on hold. AT&T once had a good tech support service on
    Usenet, but dropped that too and became very hard to reach. I should have
    seen the writing on the wall and dropped AT&T back then!

    This March 2nd I get an email that AT&T Worldnet service, DSL service, and
    website hosting will no longer be available effective March 31st - A KNIFE
    IN THE BACK to all their small business and individual customers!

    They arranged a deal with Covad to take over the DSL service, and a new
    email/web service that allows you to keep your existing email address and
    ID. You could elect to use AT&T for dialup only, or go to another ISP
    entirely. In effect, if you wanted to keep your present email address, IDs,
    settings, and DSL, you are FORCED to accept Covad and still be tied to AT&T
    as your ISP. Before, if your DSL service went down you had free dialup
    backup, but no longer. Dialup now costs extra. And since converting to Covad
    DSL about a week ago, I have already had a service failure!

    For a business, the website customer-screwing by AT&T is the worst of all. I
    had my site for years and it had a high ranking with the search engines -
    top10. Now I have been FORCED to move it to another host with a new URL
    unknown to the search engines. My initial outlay for 3 years of webhosting
    and a domain was over $150. Fortunately I was able to upload my site to the
    new host without the typical professional fee of $250 to do so, but it took
    alot of my time. In addition, I'll have to toss and replace about $50 worth
    of business cards with my old URL web address on them, replace other printed
    materials with the old URL, change many documents, and inform many contacts.
    I will inevitably lose business because the old URL, now in many website
    links and hard-copy publications, has become useless.

    The forced "migration" process from AT&T was complex and time-consuming, not
    helped by the unavailability for several days of the means to do so at their
    website where AT&T stated it would be. Instructions were vague and
    non-specific, and good luck reaching them by phone! As the service cutoff
    date approached, nothing could be done due to this and to AT&Ts
    inaccessibility. Then, one day after completing part of the migration
    process, CUTOFF! I had NO SERVICE - no web, no email, no DSL, no dialup,
    nothing! Finally after hours of effort,I was able to establish my DSL
    service. My Outlook Express was unable to download email until I corrected
    that too - with no help from these corporate cretins that couldn't care
    less!

    Now, for the same monthly price as before (under a 1 year contract with a
    BIG termination fee if you want out), I have DSL, web, and email. But no
    dialup backup, Usenet, or website as before. The website costs extra now.
    And will AT&T tech support improve? I wouldn't hold my breath!

    The substantial expenses and inconveniences inflicted by this AT&T
    customer-screwing is something for which a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT would be
    appropriate, but no doubt the agreement you are forced into when buying
    their service protects them from responsibility. Clearly AT&T, with typical
    mega-corpseration greed and arrogance, cares little for their home and small
    business customers. This sort of thing will continue as long as they can
    perpetrate such actions without being held accountable, and consumers and
    businesses will remain at their mercy.

    When you vote, keep in mind it is the Republican-Conservatives that protect
    these mega-corpserate bullies and allow them to run amok, unregulated, and
    perpetrate such consumer-screwing actions as this.

    BOYCOTT AT&T!
    Whistleblower, Mar 29, 2010

  2. Whistleblower

    Greg Russell Guest

    In news:hor7il$iaq$-september.org,
    Whistleblower <> typed:

    > I should have seen the writing on the wall and dropped
    > AT&T back then!

    .... yet you still pay them and have to whine incessantly about it?
    Greg Russell, Mar 29, 2010

  3. Whistleblower

    Mark A. Sam Guest

    You should just register a domain name, then set up your site and email
    through a stable web hosting company like Web.com (formerly Interland) or
    DiscountASP or many others. They you aren't tied to a phone or cable
    company.

    Mark A. Sam, Mar 29, 2010
  4. Whistleblower

    sgopus Guest

    Sorry for your tragedy, this is not the proper place to post these kinds of
    complaints.

    sgopus, Mar 29, 2010
  5. "Whistleblower" <> wrote in message news:hor7il$iaq$-september.org...

    A post like this clearly indicates lack of planning for corporate, or even personal email and other services. What did you expect if you change ISP providers and setting up web and email services under them? You expected to use an @att.com email address,or any other ISP's email address service forever?

    I agree with Mark A. Sam's post, that if you had simply registered your own domain name and created a web and email address under it, you can move it to any ISP or registrar of your choice without fear of this sort of thing happening. You could also use one of the free mail providers such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc, which wouldn't matter what ISP you have.

    In the future, I would suggest curbing such unwarranted personal attacks against corporations or any other entity, real or fictitious, that is not their fault for a business decision, and something that you have no control over.

    Just the same as who would have ever thought GM would go bankrupt? I haven't seen anyone bashing GM for that business decision.

    Remember, the only constant in the universe is CHANGE.

    Ace

    Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Mar 30, 2010
  6. Whistleblower

    Chuck Guest

    In my area, Southern Bell Wireless became Cingular and then AT&T. I started
    with analog cell phones on S. Bell in the 90's.
    As time went on under the Cingular name, I was coerced into changing to GAIT
    phones. (Lower price, interoperability, more features, etc)
    Within a year, Cingular started killing the interoperability, and disabled
    roaming. Additional costs were imposed for roaming, and analog
    service was eventually "locked out" More time passed. I had grandfathered
    tethering, since my original analog phones had a similar feature.
    In addition, the GAIT phones had internet capability and web browsing.
    Again, what is now AT&T decided to screwup the capabilities of my phones.
    Every update defaulted the phones to no tethering, no internet, no text
    (Incorrect network phone profile information, etc.) So, I ended up paying
    for services that I was not getting, and demanding a perodic refund, which I
    mostly got.
    Finally, in desperation, I had no choice but to change to T Mobile. (No
    contract, "unlimited usage" free long distance (US), unlimited text,
    unlimited internet, unlimited data.)
    I own the phones, which were not purchased from T Mobile or AT&T, although T
    Mobile and AT&T both support the model.

    So, I do not really care for AT&T either!

    Chuck, Mar 30, 2010
  7. Whistleblower

    NA Guest

    On 3/30/2010 9:07 AM EDT, Chuck wrote:
    > In my area, Southern Bell Wireless became Cingular and then AT&T. I started
    > with analog cell phones on S. Bell in the 90's.
    > As time went on under the Cingular name, I was coerced into changing to GAIT
    > phones. (Lower price, interoperability, more features, etc)
    > Within a year, Cingular started killing the interoperability, and disabled
    > roaming. Additional costs were imposed for roaming, and analog
    > service was eventually "locked out" More time passed. I had grandfathered
    > tethering, since my original analog phones had a similar feature.
    > In addition, the GAIT phones had internet capability and web browsing.
    > Again, what is now AT&T decided to screwup the capabilities of my phones.
    > Every update defaulted the phones to no tethering, no internet, no text
    > (Incorrect network phone profile information, etc.) So, I ended up paying
    > for services that I was not getting, and demanding a perodic refund, which I
    > mostly got.
    > Finally, in desperation, I had no choice but to change to T Mobile. (No
    > contract, "unlimited usage" free long distance (US), unlimited text,
    > unlimited internet, unlimited data.)
    > I own the phones, which were not purchased from T Mobile or AT&T, although T
    > Mobile and AT&T both support the model.
    >
    > So, I do not really care for AT&T either!

    Exactly the same happened to me, except it was AT&T up in the Northeast
    -> Cingular -> AT&T through their merger/acquisition shell games. Now,
    I too am with T-Mobile, and *NEVER* going back to AT&T.
    NA, Mar 30, 2010
  8. Re: SO WHAT? COMCAST DID THE SAME THING SOME TIME AGO! TRY USINGGOOGLE GROUPS 2 ACCESS THIS USENET NEWS GROUP! IT'S VERY USER FRIENDLY! JUSTFYI!

    Whistleblower wrote: > BEWARE OF and AVOID doing business with AT&T! >

    Kevin John Panzke, Mar 30, 2010
  9. Whistleblower

    smlunatick Guest

    So what!! Most ISP did this also

    Most ISPs are or have dropped USENET servers. They stated it was too
    expensive to maintain.

    smlunatick, Mar 30, 2010
  10. Whistleblower

    lil abner Guest

    Re: So what!! Most ISP did this also

    smlunatick wrote:
    > Most ISPs are or have dropped USENET servers. They stated it was too
    > expensive to maintain.
    >
    > On Mar 30, 3:44 pm, Kevin John Panzke <> wrote:
    >> Whistleblower wrote: > BEWARE OF and AVOID doing business with AT&T! >
    >>> AT&T exemplifies screw-the-consumer corporate arrogance at its

    >> worst. > DO NOT PATRONIZE AT&T or YOU'LL REGRET IT! > > I had an ISP
    >> service package with AT&T Worldnet that included email, DSL, a >
    >> personal website on their server, and Usenet access. Suddenly they
    >> dropped > the Usenet service, with no compensation to customers that
    >> were forced to > find another source. Another example of their screw-
    >> the-customer attitude is > the fact that reaching a tech support
    >> person by phone typically requires at > least a 20 minute wait on
    >> hold. AT&T once had a good tech support service on > Usenet, but
    >> dropped that too and became very hard to reach. I should have > seen
    >> the writing on the wall and dropped AT&T back then! > > This March 2nd
    >> I get an email that AT&T Worldnet service, DSL service, and > website
    >> hosting will no longer be available effective March 31st - A KNIFE >
    >> IN THE BACK to all their small business and individual cust

    They are not telling us the truth. Usnet and DSLs etc attracted
    customers and profits.
    The profits they are going to miss are going somewhere else. They sold
    or traded the profit makers to someone else. The Companys are so
    intertwined it difficult for us to know what games they a re paying.
    At any rate they think they can make us pay for fewer and poorer quality
    service.
    lil abner, Mar 30, 2010
  11. Whistleblower

    Unknown Guest

    Re: So what!! Most ISP did this also

    Ridiculous comment. Put yourself in the position of CEO of any ISP. Would
    you keep usenet servers?
    If so, you wouldn't be CEO very long.

    Unknown, Mar 30, 2010
  12. Whistleblower

    Matthew Guest

    Re: So what!! Most ISP did this also

    I have noticed it getting harder to find usenet servers. Now how am I
    gonna find Doom. :p
    Matthew, Mar 30, 2010
  13. Hi
    There is only one way to avoid this issue.
    Given the price of domains and basic hosting there is No reason to use other
    email services.
    Domain goes for $10-$15 a year. Good countable Hosting for few email
    accounts, ftp, and web space, can be found for $2 - $3 a month.
    You are your own boss, you look good with your own email (rather than
    nothing1928@someone_else_brandname.com) for less than $5 a month.
    Keep a secondary email with Hotmail, or Gmail, for temp stuff that you do
    not care much about.
    Otherwise when using ISP or other questionable email providers use the POP3
    option. Install Outlook on your computer and read the mail with Outlook,
    reading the mail with Outlook downloads it and store it on you computer too.
    So if the ISP email goes "Gaga" you still have a copy of the emails on your
    own computer.
    Many Internet providers do not have their own lines and physical systems,
    they lease it from others. If the lease deal goes bad, so goes the provider.
    As an example in New York City area it does not matter who provides the
    Internet and phones service, the lines belong to Verizon. Similar situation
    exists in many other parts of the country
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 30, 2010
  14. Whistleblower

    Jon Guest

    "Matthew" <> wrote in message
    >I have noticed it getting harder to find usenet servers. Now how am I
    >gonna find Doom. :p

    You needn't worry. If that's the sort of game you prefer, then Doom will
    find you.

    --
    Jon
    Jon, Mar 30, 2010
  15. Whistleblower

    farneville

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    Messages:
    15
    Wow strange thing is it or I am just spamming? lols
    farneville, Apr 6, 2010