Beware iPAD

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Apr 5, 2010.

  1. NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if not
    all USB ports will be useless..

    Frank Williams, Apr 5, 2010

  2. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    Frank Williams wrote:

    > NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if not
    > all USB ports will be useless..

    If its like any other new apple product then you will just get a message
    that charging is not supported with this accessory unless you get a new
    apple charger.

    Richard, Apr 5, 2010

  3. Frank Williams

    eyes Guest

    On 05/04/10 20:02, EMB wrote:
    > On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>

    >> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if
    >> not
    >> all USB ports will be useless..
    >>

    > It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
    >
    > http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

    Most computers can only provide 500mA through USB.

    eyes, Apr 5, 2010
  4. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    eyes wrote:
    > On 05/04/10 20:02, EMB wrote:
    >> On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>

    >>> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if
    >>> not
    >>> all USB ports will be useless..
    >>>

    >> It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
    >>
    >> http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

    > Most computers can only provide 500mA through USB.

    No, most can supply a lot more as there is either no or global current
    limiting on the ports.

    How else do you think things like USB powered cup warmers are able to
    work. Its the non compliant wall adapters that are the problem.

    anyway, there is not a microusb on the apple iPad so it isnt compliant
    with the latest USB specs that include charging, it has a propriatary
    cable with a fixed A male on it, which AFAIK isnt compliant for the new
    USB charge specs.

    Richard, Apr 5, 2010
  5. On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:02:58 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>

    >> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if not
    >> all USB ports will be useless..
    >>

    >It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
    >
    >http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

    From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports that
    stacks of people can't charge there iPad..

    Frank Williams, Apr 5, 2010
  6. Frank Williams

    David Empson Guest

    Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:02:58 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    > >On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > >>

    > >> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most
    > >> if not all USB ports will be useless..
    > >>

    > >It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
    > >
    > >http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

    > From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports
    > that stacks of people can't charge there iPad..

    So you think some post you read is more accurate than the official USB
    standard for supplying more than 500 mA? Read the document above.

    A "Charging Downstream Port" connected to a portable device which
    implements the protocol correctly can supply up to 900 mA while
    communicating at USB 2.0 high speed (480 Mbps), or up to 1.5A while
    communicating at USB low/full speed (1.5 or 12 Mbps).

    This requires the device and host correctly implement the negotiation
    protocol. Some older USB ports are able to blindly supply more than 500
    mA, but a correctly implemented USB peripheral (like the iPad) won't
    draw more than 500 mA from such a port.

    The iPad comes with its own power adapter, so the only issue is that
    people with older computers can't charge their iPad while it is plugged
    into the computer and active. Just use the power adapter instead if you
    need to charge the iPad, or put the iPad to sleep after the sync, and it
    will charge via USB (much slower than using the power adapter).

    After the initial setup and major sync of media, plugging into a
    computer is only an occasional task (depending on how often you need to
    synchronize new media, contact information, etc.) For day-to-day
    operation, you just use the power adapter.

    If you have a new enough computer with USB ports that support the
    official battery charging mechanism, the iPad will also be able to
    charge its battery while plugged into the computer and active, but this
    will still be slower than using the power adapter.

    Apple's own computers started supporting this feature in 2008, so older
    Mac models can't charge an iPad (unless it is asleep). I don't know when
    the battery charging mechanism was or will be supported in other brands.

    It will get easier as people replace older computers with newer models
    that support this feature.

    You can also use any other USB power adapter or hub which supports the
    battery charging standard, e.g. the adapter supplied with an iPhone, and
    presumably many third party ones. The iPad's power adapter is rated at
    10W, so it will be the fastest way to charge the battery. The iPhone
    power adapter is 5W.

    Here is Apple's official documentation on charging the iPad battery:

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 6, 2010
  7. On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:18:50 +1200, (David Empson) wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote:

    >> >It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
    >> >
    >> >http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

    >> From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports
    >> that stacks of people can't charge there iPad..

    >Here is Apple's official documentation on charging the iPad battery:
    >
    >http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

    And its been posted that its Totally WRONG, read the links that I posted..

    Frank Williams, Apr 6, 2010
  8. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 06/04/10 10:26, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:02:58 +1200, EMB<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>

    >>> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if not
    >>> all USB ports will be useless..
    >>>

    >> It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
    >>
    >> http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

    > From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports that
    > stacks of people can't charge there iPad..

    The iPad comes with a charger, are they having trouble plugging it into
    the wall or something ?

    victor, Apr 6, 2010
  9. On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:11:16 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <hpe84h$vts$-september.org>,
    >says...

    >> > From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports that
    >> > stacks of people can't charge there iPad..
    >> >

    >> The iPad comes with a charger, are they having trouble plugging it into
    >> the wall or something ?

    >It can ONLY BE DONE BY MAINFRAME engineers. ONLY IDIOTS don't know
    >that.

    Stop being a Dumbo go read the links that I posted, that Totally explains it
    all.

    You cant put software onto the iPad with just a USB Charger, or do you think
    you can..??

    Frank Williams, Apr 6, 2010
  10. Frank Williams

    David Empson Guest

    Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:18:50 +1200, (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > >Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > >> From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports
    > >> that stacks of people can't charge there iPad..

    > >Here is Apple's official documentation on charging the iPad battery:
    > >
    > >http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

    > And its been posted that its Totally WRONG, read the links that I posted..

    Try again, Roger. You didn't post any links in this thread, just some
    vague and misleading claims which I debunked in my previous post.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 6, 2010
  11. Re: Beware iPAD LINKS

    On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 18:40:56 +1200, (David Empson) wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote:

    >> >Here is Apple's official documentation on charging the iPad battery:
    >> >
    >> >http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

    >> And its been posted that its Totally WRONG, read the links that I posted..

    >Try again, Roger. You didn't post any links in this thread, just some
    >vague and misleading claims which I debunked in my previous post.

    Read these Links as they might have not been Posted.

    Have a Read

    http://www.neowin.net/news/the-ipad039s-usb-charging-caveat

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/20100405/tc_ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc1461

    Frank Williams, Apr 6, 2010
  12. Re: Beware iPAD LINKS

    On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:55:46 +1200, Frank Williams <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 18:40:56 +1200, (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    >>Frank Williams <> wrote:

    >>> And its been posted that its Totally WRONG, read the links that I posted..

    >>Try again, Roger. You didn't post any links in this thread, just some
    >>vague and misleading claims which I debunked in my previous post.

    >Read these Links as they might have not been Posted.
    >

    >Have a Read
    >

    >http://www.neowin.net/news/the-ipad039s-usb-charging-caveat
    >
    >http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/20100405/tc_ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc1461

    NONE

    Frank Williams, Apr 6, 2010
  13. TEST

    Frank Williams, Apr 6, 2010
  14. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 06/04/10 18:10, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:11:16 +1200, Dave Doe<> wrote:
    >
    >> In article<hpe84h$vts$-september.org>,
    >> says...

    >>> The iPad comes with a charger, are they having trouble plugging it into
    >>> the wall or something ?

    >> It can ONLY BE DONE BY MAINFRAME engineers. ONLY IDIOTS don't know
    >> that.

    > Stop being a Dumbo go read the links that I posted, that Totally explains it
    > all.
    >

    > You cant put software onto the iPad with just a USB Charger, or do you think
    > you can..??

    You can do it with USB or wifi

    You are getting really really fuckin tedious

    victor, Apr 6, 2010
  15. On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 20:12:56 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 06/04/10 18:10, Frank Williams wrote:
    >> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:11:16 +1200, Dave Doe<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article<hpe84h$vts$-september.org>,
    >>> says...

    >>> It can ONLY BE DONE BY MAINFRAME engineers. ONLY IDIOTS don't know
    >>> that.

    >> Stop being a Dumbo go read the links that I posted, that Totally explains it
    >> all.
    >>

    >> You cant put software onto the iPad with just a USB Charger, or do you think
    >> you can..??
    >>

    >You can do it with USB or wifi
    >
    >You are getting really really fuckin tedious

    No You just cant read, you use the USB port to put software on the iPad but
    it comes up that it cant charge the battery.

    Not Every one has Wifi, I know plenty that done have it..

    Get the facts man and read the Links that I posted, I Only quoted what is in
    those links, so if you wish to take you hatred out go and take it out on those
    links..

    Frank Williams, Apr 6, 2010
  16. Frank Williams

    Squiggle Guest

    On 6/04/2010 2:57 p.m., geoff threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > victor wrote:

    >>> From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are
    >>> reports that stacks of people can't charge there iPad..
    >>>

    >> The iPad comes with a charger, are they having trouble plugging it
    >> into the wall or something ?

    > Prolly has it's own unique mains pin config ;-)
    >
    > geoff

    don't be silly.. its a Mac, you hold the charger still and push the wall
    onto it :)

    Squiggle, Apr 6, 2010
  17. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 06/04/10 20:26, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 20:12:56 +1200, victor<> wrote:

    >>> Stop being a Dumbo go read the links that I posted, that Totally explains it
    >>> all.
    >>>

    >>> You cant put software onto the iPad with just a USB Charger, or do you think
    >>> you can..??
    >>>

    >> You can do it with USB or wifi
    >>
    >> You are getting really really fuckin tedious

    > No You just cant read, you use the USB port to put software on the iPad but
    > it comes up that it cant charge the battery.
    >
    > Not Every one has Wifi, I know plenty that done have it..
    >
    > Get the facts man and read the Links that I posted, I Only quoted what is in
    > those links, so if you wish to take you hatred out go and take it out on those
    > links..

    Sure, you can't use computer USB to charge it, but you can use it to
    connect to itunes. Or you can connect with wifi
    And then you can use the included charger to charge it.

    Can you follow that ?

    victor, Apr 6, 2010
  18. Frank Williams

    David Empson Guest

    Re: Beware iPAD LINKS

    Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 18:40:56 +1200, (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > >Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > >> And its been posted that its Totally WRONG, read the links that I posted..

    > >Try again, Roger. You didn't post any links in this thread, just some
    > >vague and misleading claims which I debunked in my previous post.

    > http://www.neowin.net/news/the-ipad039s-usb-charging-caveat

    OK, read that. The article claims the iPad needs 1A to charge, without
    any evidence to support that claim.

    Apple's document says that the iPad will charge (slowly) from 500 mA as
    long as the iPad is sleeping.

    Some of the comments in the article are from people with other devices
    that have similar behaviour, such as Blackberrys. They don't charge
    their battery while operating and plugged into a 500 mA USB 2.0 port,
    but do charge slowly if left plugged in overnight.

    No comments I saw were from anyone with an iPad, so no actual experience
    yet, just speculation based on documentation and misleading information
    in the neowin article.

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/20100405/tc_ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc1461

    This only mentions power via USB in passing, without any clear
    indication of the actual situation, and no comments on it either way.

    So far I'm inclined to believe Apple's article rather than rampant
    speculation.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 6, 2010
  19. Frank Williams

    David Empson Guest

    Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 20:12:56 +1200, victor <> wrote:
    >
    > >On 06/04/10 18:10, Frank Williams wrote:
    > >> You cant put software onto the iPad with just a USB Charger, or do you
    > >> think you can..??

    > >You can do it with USB or wifi
    > >
    > >You are getting really really fuckin tedious

    > No You just cant read, you use the USB port to put software on the iPad but
    > it comes up that it cant charge the battery.

    So what?

    Plug the iPad into the computer, synchronize the applications (which
    usually takes seconds, possibly a few minutes for something really big),
    then plug it back into the iPad power adapter if the battery needs to be
    charged.

    > Not Every one has Wifi, I know plenty that done have it..

    Then why on earth would they want to buy a WiFi-only iPad? They wouldn't
    be able to use it for anything Internet related (cutting out a huge
    chunk of its functionality) unless they went somewhere else that had
    WiFi.

    While in that location which had WiFi, they could download some
    applications.

    The WiFi+3G iPad (not released yet) will have Internet access anywhere
    it can connect to the cellular network, and moderate sized applications
    (up to 20 MB, IIRC) can be downloaded directly via cellular. Anything
    particularly big would have to be downloaded via WiFi or on a computer
    and synced via USB. In which case, see my first response above.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 6, 2010
  20. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    David Empson wrote:

    >> Not Every one has Wifi, I know plenty that done have it..

    > Then why on earth would they want to buy a WiFi-only iPad? They wouldn't
    > be able to use it for anything Internet related (cutting out a huge
    > chunk of its functionality) unless they went somewhere else that had
    > WiFi.
    >
    > While in that location which had WiFi, they could download some
    > applications.
    >
    > The WiFi+3G iPad (not released yet) will have Internet access anywhere
    > it can connect to the cellular network, and moderate sized applications
    > (up to 20 MB, IIRC) can be downloaded directly via cellular. Anything
    > particularly big would have to be downloaded via WiFi or on a computer
    > and synced via USB. In which case, see my first response above.

    Give up, you are reasoning with a retard.

    For once apple are actually following a standard as far as how it
    operates charging rather than the random lets just suck power mode of
    operation that most other devices operate on. Shame they stuck with that
    bastard of a plug on it, but its still standards nevertheless.

    Whats next roger? cant charge a N97 on a computer? hell, almost every
    phone coming out now has microusb to charge. Gonna be a lot of angry
    people who cant charge? Eh woger?

    Richard, Apr 6, 2010